How much?

My blog is worth $564.54.
How much is your blog worth?

Well. it's better than nothing.

Posted by thomp356 at 2:35 PM

More Fun!

See Tex.
See Tex play.
See Tex play with spammers claiming to be Sudha Arafat, and making a mockery of them.

Posted by thomp356 at 12:30 PM

Happy Fourth

I've seen a few people depressesed about what has happened, and I think they forget how you should not lose hope. If there is no reason, don't lose hope. We'll get though this, we usually do.

Posted by thomp356 at 5:29 PM

Cool!

I just heard a GM radio ad. It referrs to "Bloggers" among the types of people.

We're a noticable demographic!

Posted by thomp356 at 7:40 PM

Speaking of Anti-War Protestors

The University has a large population of resident Northern Moonbats (M. nordus). However, there was not protest yesterday, as there was in San Diego, mostly because it was spring break. It's scheduled for Wendnesday, and they visibly advertised it from Washington and Harvard, above the Harvad Market, Barbers, and the Big 10. It makes me wish I had a digital Camera, just to get a look at it. But I don't so I'll just take a look.

Posted by thomp356 at 6:25 PM

Old Blogspot posts.

Here are all my old entries, sans formatting from my old blogspot site, The Applicant

AUTHOR: Michael Thompson DATE: 3/19/2005 11:02:00 AM BODY: On Thursday, Geroge F. Kennan, the foremost thinker in early Cold War Policy, died at 101. I've read a few of his books, namely Fateful Alliance, on the Franco-Russian Entete of the 1890's, and The Decline of Bismarck's European Order, on the fall of the Dreikaiserbund, or Three Emporor's League (Germany, Austria-Hungary, and Russia). Both are on a topic most people don't care about. Few men have as much unintentional influence. Powerline and Daniel Drezner retrospectives.

AUTHOR: Michael Thompson DATE: 3/7/2005 09:51:00 PM BODY: When ever I see things like this in the news. I start enjoying it. It's also the feeling of making defeatists and sediditionists eating their words. Of course, the people like this and her belive this is fraudlulent started by the President and his evil geniuses (ha!). I really find this all quite wrong.

The best thing about being on campus is I can get it daily!

AUTHOR: Michael Thompson DATE: 2/21/2005 08:48:00 PM BODY: Here I go up against Nick the Twit, for a second week. This biweekly instalment is "The Real 'Culture of Death.'" Our heroic Mr. Woomer takes, aw, who gives a shit?

If you want to have a better understanding of the United States’ cultural and political landscape, take a look at Pieter Bruegel the Elder’s wonderfully macabre 1562 painting “The Triumph of Death.”

Calling the right a bunch of Renissance nut cases? Well, they're better than you!

The imagery in “The Triumph of Death” is grim and hopeless, but it’s also dazzling and loaded up with symbolism.

It's better symbolism than any protest leftie wimps put on!

Basically, the painting depicts a marauding army of skeletal ghouls on a killing spree: People are herded into a giant box, where some unspeakable fate awaits them.

Like Saddam's Iraq?

Meanwhile, the stragglers are hunted down and broken on the wheel, strangled and drowned; they have their heads lopped off and their throats slit.

Sound's just like Saddam's Iraq or any dictatorship.

To some contemporary viewers, “The Triumph of Death” might be viewed as a bleak allegory about the annihilation that awaits each of us and the inevitable extinction of humanity.

Well, it's better than a "Worker's Paradise" like under Lil' Kim Jong Il.

To other contemporary viewers — particularly many of those on the religious right — “The Triumph of Death” must have a meaning substantially similar to the one it had for its original viewers more than 440 years ago.

Your point is???

In 1562, serious people believed in sea monsters and published learned treatises on witchcraft, sorcery, astrology, demonology and alchemy.

And idots like you would be in the stocks. What a wonderful time!

It was a time when the Spanish Inquisition was proceeding along just swimmingly and the Roman Catholic Church was still heavily invested in the execution-by-immolation business.

Joan of Arc was about 100 years dead at this point. And Henry VIII was rebelling against the Pope.

In other words, the mid-16th century in Europe was ripe for the eschatological fantasy Bruegel expressed in “The Triumph of Death.”

You enjoy insulting the views of the dead, don't you?

Obviously times have changed dramatically

Yeah, no more public humiliation as a punishment, and anyone can get their hands on the press.

. . .but the antiquated, sado-apocalyptic mentality that manifests itself in “The Triumph of Death” continues to thrive in 2005.

Did the President just declare himself Eternal God-Emporer??? I don't think so.

We know this because the religious right’s two pop-cultural milestones in 2004 — the finale of the “Left Behind” series

Anyone read this????

. . . and the release of “The Passion of the Christ”

Not quite. "The Passion" is a telling of the suffering of an excessively important man in Western history, through one man's vision. It isn't apocalyptic. It tells of what many, including myself, belive is the last, best hope for the souls of men, and the suffering he took for all, including you. My goodness, I feel like I just reguritated something from Sunday school.

— are overflowing with the same sado-apocalyptic frenzy Bruegel portrayed in his painting.

Who cares? I've got a PRT to pass.

The “Left Behind” series, written by Tim LaHaye and Jerry B. Jenkins, is as popular as it is poorly written (the books have sold 60 million copies to date).

How many complete sets of the series is this?

Consider this perfectly demented passage from “Glorious Appearing,” the final book in “Left Behind,” that features approximately 80 pages of messianic ass-kicking that makes Quentin Tarantino’s “Kill Bill” films look like “Full House”:

"It was as if the very words of the Lord had superheated their blood, causing it to burst through their veins and skin … Their innards and entrails gushed to the desert floor, and as those around them turned to run, they too were slain, their blood pooling and rising in the unforgiving brightness of the glory of Christ.”

Taking quotes out of context. Just a guest, you're a Militant Atheist, Nick, aren't you?

Then, of course, we have the tremendous commercial success of Mel Gibson’s tasteless gay S&M flick . . .

You know people who liked it with either interpetation? Or are you one of those, "diversity is good in theory, but keep them away from me," types?

. . . “The Passion of the Christ,” featuring the handsome young Jim Caviezel stripped naked and brutally beaten within an inch of his life. Even when viewed in the most charitable light, the movie is nothing but a particularly bloody medieval crucifixion scene set to film;

Are you calling crucifixion clean? And it ain't medieval. It's Roman.

[I]ts worldview is wholly pre-Enlightenment. No doubt many of Gibson’s supporters see this as one of his film’s greatest assets.

I'm not a supporter, but a man who rejected the very Enlightenment Constituion, you are very judgemental.

The violence in “Glorious Appearing” and “The Passion of the Christ” is purposely gratuitous and over the top. Both works are ghastly catalogs of torture, gore and death.

And every thing in the world would be neat and clean, if we could all just get along and play nice.

Jesus’ smackdown in “Glorious Appearing” is basically a litany of exploding people and horses, rivers of blood, bloody mud and … well, you get the point. In “The Passion,” Jesus is flayed alive and (literally) torn to pieces by a succession of ever-more-horrific torture techniques.

Well, the Romans were not that nice of a ruler. They were very much a do as we say, or we kill you all, innocents included, type of conqueror.

The secular analog of books and movies such as “Glorious Appearing” and “The Passion of the Christ” is almost as repugnant. The careful taxonomy of perversion — child rape, necrophilia, torture, murder

I don't think Jesus committed any of these.

— that emerges over hundreds of pages in the Marquis de Sade’s “120 Days of Sodom” comes immediately to mind.

Ah, comparing them to a perverted Frenchman. It's an insult to them.

But at least de Sade never claimed he was doing the Lord’s work, and his admirers are limited to a few students of avant-garde literature — people took their children to see Gibson’s high-budget snuff film.

Now, you like these?

I’m not suggesting that every conservative Christian necessarily embraces the sado-apocalyptic worldview that informs “The Triumph of Death,” the “Left Behind” series and “The Passion of the Christ,” but it’s definitely widespread.

I don't, but would I fit in with your view of the Right? I don't give a damm about gay marriage, I swear frequently, and I do have a sense of humor.

At the very least, there’s a huge subculture (multiple millions) of people fantasizing about the End Times around the corner.

This makes me want the world to end. Letting people like you near ballot boxes.

If the sado-apocalyptic worldview weren’t so dangerous to democracy and an open society . . .

No, Fellow Traveller. Any form of dogmatic belief, including that stupid Marxist "Inevitable Process of History" shit is.

. . . it would be easy to laugh it off as just more irredeemable stupidity from the religious right.

No, it's a view that doesn't mesh with yours, dumbass.

The problem is that sado-apocalypticism is an essentially nihilistic doctrine.

Why do you still keep getting it wrong? For many of these people, it's about a hope there is a better world ahead, and those who do evil will be punished in the end.

The only thing that ultimately matters to these people is the salvation of themselves and (maybe) others.

Saving others is a big thing. Why do so many big Evangelical Churches have huge mission programs? It's about saving others.

They hold a set of principles that basically say “in the final analysis, this world doesn’t matter.”

Isn't that postmodernism, where nothing matters?

Life, death and suffering don’t matter. Nuclear proliferation doesn’t matter. Environmental degradation doesn’t matter. Political instability and human-rights abuses don’t matter.

Actually it does. Many churches are massive support ground for these issues. I don't think theres a problem with millions beliving the End is near. If not, we'd have even bigger problems.

These people might raise a fuss here and there about, say, abortion or gay rights, but in the end, the only thing worth caring about is what an invisible man in the sky thinks about them.

Actually, that's a lot closer to the Islamic Fascism common in Saudi Arabia.

The sado-apocalyptic worldview belongs to a bygone era — the only place we should have to encounter it is in centuries-old paintings such as “The Triumph of Death,” which hang in museums.

Yawn.

A lot of conservative Christians like to claim that those of us who support abortion rights and voluntary euthanasia embrace a “culture of death.”

Actually you do. Killing innocents is an A PRIORI WRONG. There are things that are INHERNTLY good and evil. Killing inncoents is one.

Before they start flinging that one around, maybe they should take a look at the brand of contemptible, long-obsolete nihilism they preach, read and watch.

Ah, so the old fallacy, "Since you are imperfect, you can't criticse me!" routine. Fuck it, you really need to look around. Dr. J.J. Ray would LOVE to have a talk with you. Take a look at his monographs. I hope you don't get lost!

AUTHOR: Michael Thompson DATE: 2/13/2005 12:47:00 PM BODY: Iraqi Election Results Are In. They don't sound too bad, but the lack of Sunni Arab participation shoule be less of a problem in the future.

What's next?

AUTHOR: Michael Thompson DATE: 2/7/2005 07:51:10 PM BODY: The University of Minnesota's student paper is the Minnesota Daily, requently called the just The Daily, or cynically, the Doily, after its worthlessness. There's a leftie twit of a columnist, Nick Woomer, whose colum, "Into the Womb" is a weekly screed. Now, I'm not much to say but here's the latest one, "A New Kind of Socialism, Locally and Abroad." Let's get started.

I like murder, and firing squads, and mass graves in the woods, and forced labor camps, and a whole host of other totalitarian abominations … This is what others have been accusing me of for years, most recently right here on The Minnesota Daily’s editorial page.

This is because I am a socialist.

Well, socialist countries tend to become dictatorships, fool. If they aren't, look at Germany, where a woman has to either work at a brothel or loose unemployment.

I think wealth should be redistributed in a far more equitable way and, ideally, that there should be collective ownership of the means of production.

Endosring theft, are you? A man with a bright idea puts his hardwork into, and do-gooders want to take it away for someone else. If it wasn't the government, gawd, where would so many felons work?

Traditionally, socialists have favored state control over the economy, meaning that everybody works for the government. Some central bureaucracy decides how much steel, butter, soap and whatever else society needs and then it issues a declaration and everyone gets to work.

Not surprisingly, in many instances, this setup is terribly inefficient and leads (some would say inevitably) to a Soviet-style collapse. The quality of goods produced under such a system is generally low, and the quality of life for the average person is quite a bit below that of nations with decentralized, market-based economies, like the United States.

Of course it is. Responsiveness is a key. And, ". . . the quality of life for the average person is quite a bit below that of nations with decentralized, market-based economies. . ." Is the quality of life in North Korea or Cuba that good sir?

Centralized economies — in which the government is the only boss — have been largely discredited and rightfully so.

Some sense from you now.

Now that the Soviet Union is dead and buried, most thoughtful radicals are justifiably skeptical of the state. What this means is that when conservatives or liberals attack radicals. . .

Liberals defending Capitalism???? Someone tell former Sen. John Edwards!!!!!

. . .as a bunch of naive, intellectually bankrupt holdovers from the ’60s, they’re really just attacking a straw man.

Oh, so why shouldn't I attack idiots like Ward Chuchill who calls me a Nazi? The First Amendment doesn't protect you from attacks by your fellow citizen, O ink-stained wretch. Only from the Government.

No credible radical wants to build a society that resembles the 20th century’s authoritarian monstrosities.

Tell that to Ed Asner, and the Fellow Travellers/Stalinist Apligists of ANSWER.

On the contrary, I would say that the socialist vision for the 21st century is a major reversal of the old vision: Instead of “top-down,” it’s “bottom-up.” It is radically democratic and decentralized and concerned, first and foremost, with the empowerment of poor and working- class people. In fact, if the new socialist vision has any flaws, it is that it is too skeptical of the state, not the other way around.

The State isn't god. It is there to secure negative rights. It exists because we need an organization to keep things like Goblins (thanks Mr. du Toit) and Osama bin Laden from killing people.

Nor is the new socialist vision some dreamy, pie-in-the-sky, academic fantasy. Today, workers in Argentina and here in the Twin Cities are living this vision and showing us the future.

Where in the Cities?

Last week, Minnesota Film Arts ended its run of “The Take,”

Ah, at an Art Theater.

. . . [A] documentary on Argentina’s occupied factory movement by writer and anti-globalization activist Naomi Klein and Avi Lewis.

Which twit is which?

The film’s Web site is at www.nfb.ca/thetake/.

Ah, from the NATIONAL FILM BOARD OF CANADA, that makes sense, for those foolish Canuks to support any thing that pisses off the Americans. Great neigbors, those fools in Ottawa. Oh, feel free to spam this site, and one that follows.

In 2001, Argentina’s economy disintegrated. Up until then, Argentina’s economy was the envy of all Latin America, but in the 1990s, the Argentine government cozied up to the International Monetary Fund and turned Argentina into a “capitalist wild west.” To make a long and complicated story short, everything went to hell. Tens of billions of dollars left Argentina overnight, the government put severe limits on regular citizens’ access to their bank accounts and factories all over the country shut down.

Well, the first problem was in limiting access to bank accounts. Dumbasses (Note: I have nothing against Argentinans, as I had an excellent Spanish Teacher from there. It's just a stupid government.).

Many Argentine workers realized that they didn’t have to wait for the electoral process to produce a sympathetic government. Instead, workers across the country decided to reopen their shuttered workplaces and restart the production process — without any bosses and without having their profits stolen by their companies’ shareholders.

All right, here it is the theory on how capitalism works, in the smallest possible words for small minds. I have a great idea for making widgets (A hypothetical good- could be anything). I don't have enough money to make enough of them, so I go to a Venture Capitalist (investor in new businesses) to get the cash and trade some of my ownership to him. After we establish it enough, we go to the stock market, and get more money to increase production. Good enough for you, slow boy?

By the time the documentary had been completed, more than 200 factories, schools and health-care providers (employing approximately 50,000 workers) were worker-run.

With the health care, aren't many doctors really self employed in private practice?

Isn’t this just stealing?

Yes, numbnuts.

The workers don’t see it that way: They prefer the term “expropriation.” Anyway, why should they care how the owners feel?

Would you like your life's work stolen, dumbass? Then you should feel some sympathy for them. Oh, wait, you're probalbly Liberal Arts, so you aren't expected to contribute too much. Yes, I am in the most MALE dominated areas at the U, ROTC and IT, wimp.

The workers in the Movement of Occupied Factories are running the show now.

Wait, I forget, you're a panty waisted, champagne drinking twit. Theft by the government, or "the people" is just fine in your worldview.

In worker-run enterprises, decisions are usually made at a general assembly, where each worker gets one vote: How much do they want to pay themselves (and should everyone be paid equally)? How much do they want to spend on improving their workplace? How much vacation will everyone have? And so on … Every worker has an equal say. If someone’s slacking off, he or she hears about it from his co-workers.

Ah, business by direct Democracy. Easily influnced by out siders and personal problems, and industrial espionage is easy. Who pays the bills? Who runs each area, telling people what they need to do? What happens if there's a downturn and people have to be down sized? What happens to them?

The notion that workplaces ought to be run by, and for the benefit of, the people who work there is simple, powerful and revolutionary. And when you think about it, it’s pretty shocking that it’s shocking. I know I’ve worked plenty of jobs where my co-workers and I could have done a better job running everything than our boss.

Ah, yes, but what of decisions that need to be made with confidence and deciveness? That's what you need suprevisors.

Luckily, you don’t have to go to Argentina to see worker-run workplaces in action — the Twin Cities is home to a handful of them: North Country Co-op Grocery, Hard Times Cafe and the Spokes Pizza Collective are just three examples

How many of those break Health Regs? And who can I turn to if I (hypothetically) patronize them and have a problem? And what are the prices compared to Cub or Rainbow?

Interested parties should check out the Web site of The Federation of Workplace Democracies in Minnesota at www.mncooperate.org.

As above, feel free to attack them.

People the world over are desperate for an alternative to ruthless, cut-throat capitalism.

Hitler and Mussolini claimed the same thing. Look what happened to them. Capitalism works. Let's use what works, stupid.

Meanwhile, liberal and conservative pundits claim the collapse of the Soviet Union demonstrates that no such alternatives exist . . .

It doesn't stupid.

but workers in the Twin Cities and Argentina have already proved them wrong.

How many of these would create a similar level of employment that we have now? I heard unemployment just hit an all time low. Betcha $250 it would not and/or less productive.

Nick Woomer welcomes comments at nwoomer@mndaily.com.

Feel free to piss him off.

Mr. Woomer, I hope this last until you leave the University or I do!

COMMENT-AUTHOR:Anonymous COMMENT-DATE:1:44 PM COMMENT-BODY:Upon reading your screed about Mr. Woomer's latest column, I was unable to focus on the content, as I spent the entire time focused on the appalling state of your grammar and spelling:

Spelling Mistakes: "leftie", "colum," "loose," "endosring," "apligists," "Probalbly," "influnced," "deciveness," "suprevisors," "out siders"

Missing commas: "Is the quality of life...in Cuba that good sir," "It doesn't stupid"

Phrases lacking hyphens: "all time," "panty waisted," "self employed"

Sentences lacking verb tense-noun agreement: "why shouldn't I attack idiots like Ward Churchill who calls me"

Sentences that simply make no grammatical sense whatsoever or lack key sentence elements (e.g., a verb): "here it is the theory on how capitalism works," "a man with a bright idea puts his hard work into" (into what???), "Mr. Woomer, I hope this last until you leave the U or I do."

First of all, I am sad that someone with such poor grammar attends the U at all. Secondly, I am surprised that you were able to study Spanish (as you mention) since you have not yet grasped basic concepts in English. And third, you will never be able to convince a wider community of the value of your political views if you are not able to state them convincingly and with basic grammatical correctness.

This post was pathetic.
COMMENT-AUTHOR:Anonymous COMMENT-DATE:2:03 PM COMMENT-BODY:p.s. As a woman, I am puzzled by your mention that you study in MALE dominated areas of the university. How does this relate to your argument at all? And secondly, I was also puzzled by your favorable mention of health regulations. Health regs, which you fear will be vitiated in a socialist system, are largely a product of the "socialist" impulse to regulate the workplace and make it safer for workers and consumers alike. A true free-market system would not have health regulations imposed by the government. The worst elements of a capitalist economy ("The Jungle"-type health and safety violations) have been reduced by the socialist-inspired legislation of the Progressive and New Deal eras. The only economy you have ever enjoyed in the U.S. is one that is heavily regulated and is far from a "free-market" system.

AUTHOR: Michael Thompson DATE: 1/30/2005 02:08:24 PM BODY: Events like this make me want to use an AK like they do in those regions- firing in the air in celebration!

This Winds of Change post is good news. It shows a standard of professionalism found in few armies in that area of the world.

AUTHOR: Michael Thompson DATE: 1/27/2005 11:29:30 AM BODY: Kim du Toit link's been updated, and I delinked a site because of inactivty (yeah, I'm a fine one to talk!)

AUTHOR: Michael Thompson DATE: 1/27/2005 11:26:35 AM BODY: Once again I'm updating my sidebar. And Now I'm preoccupied with class. And Duty sucks. I hate being in the Armory from 1600 to 2200.

AUTHOR: Michael Thompson DATE: 12/25/2004 09:47:39 PM BODY: After Thanksgiving, my parents got a kitten. Right now he's sitting on my lap purring. I've got a heavy warmth on my thighs from him. It's not to bad actually, since he's not very heavy yet. It kind of gives you a warmth inside.

AUTHOR: Michael Thompson DATE: 12/18/2004 01:07:05 AM BODY: I know it's at a god awful hour, but it is an announcement that has to be made.

Uncle Sam just about officially owns me. It becomes official in August. I'll take the obligation.

How and Why?

I got my offical U.S. Military ID card today. It's green, with the Great Seal and the Navy Dept. Seal and "U.S. Navy Reseve" flanking a mug shot. the botttom says "Geneva Conventions Identification Card". In those I'm Catagory III according to the card. Who knows what that means?

Any who, it's finals, and I really should be sleeping.

COMMENT-AUTHOR:Brian Foster COMMENT-DATE:7:07 PM COMMENT-BODY:According to what I found, Category III means "Warrant officers and commissioned officers below the rank of major or prisoners of equivalent rank."

The upshot is if you get captured by a GC signatory nation, they also have to pay you a salary of 50 Swiss francs a month. w00t!

:0

COMMENT-AUTHOR:Michael Thompson COMMENT-DATE:10:03 AM COMMENT-BODY:Cool!

As a MIDN, I'm the grey area between Warrants and real officers. And with those 50 Swiss Francs, could I get a Secret Swiss Bank Account?

AUTHOR: Michael Thompson DATE: 12/14/2004 08:25:49 PM BODY: Glenn "Instapundit" Reynolds for 2004 Man of the Year.
Honesty, reporting, and affecting.
He doesn't do it just for money.
He is an amature.
He even is willing to turn down awards.

Who wouldn't be better?

This blog entry not paid for by any candidate or Committee, and is not paid for or conntected to Time Magazine

AUTHOR: Michael Thompson DATE: 12/12/2004 03:05:32 PM BODY: O.K.
I've been looking at my blogroll, and I want one good person for each letter in the Alphabet. Currently, I don't have any that begin with F, G, H, J, M, N, Q, X, Y, and Z. Does anyone have suggestions?

Feel free to add at the bottom.

Oh, and I'm adding Captian's Quarters and WhackingDay to the list.

AUTHOR: Michael Thompson DATE: 12/2/2004 10:06:48 PM BODY:

You're
the United Kingdom!

You're a much weaker person than you used to be, but you still
act like you did when everyone looked up to you. Despite this, you're
probably a better person than you were when you had so much power over those
around you. Though you do have a strange fascination with jewels and monarchs,
which lets you play in castles, but also end up leading a sort of tabloid lifestyle.
You really like the Beatles, even more than you like Oasis.

face="Times New Roman">Take the Country
Quiz at the Blue Pyramid

Via the Venemous One

AUTHOR: Michael Thompson DATE: 11/13/2004 11:38:53 AM BODY: This one from South Park

You are most like Stan.
Stan is the kewl guy on the show. He always breaks
up the fights. And first to notice that they
killed kenny. Yet he still threws up over
wendy.

What South Park Character Are You
brought to you by Quizilla

Via the Daily Brief

AUTHOR: Michael Thompson DATE: 11/11/2004 10:57:22 PM BODY: Tonitght, I think about Veteran's Day. Northrup Auditorum had a POW/MIA flag draped off the balcony. I have a long lineage of volunteers, who came when called. I am part of that, because we are fighting a war.

In the Revolutionary period, I am a relation to the Sweetland family of the Wyoming Valley of Pennsylvania.

In the Civil War, mny memebers of my mother's family, the Bowers and Kryders, served in the Ohio volunteers.

In the First World War, my Great-Grandfather, William Watkins, served in the Army, but never left the states. He lies in Ft. Snelling National Cemetary.

Both my grandfathers were too young to serve in the Second, but they were both in during Korea. My maternal Grandfahter, Dr. Norman Bowers, was in the Medical Service Corps of the Navy, working in Avation Exeperimential Psychology as a statistician. My paternal Grandfather, Charles Thompson, was an Airman, earing the Distiguished Flying Cross for action over Korea. The story is he took control of the B-26 Invader, and flying it so the Pilot could locate them.

My father was in the Navy from 1984 until 1996, serving as a Surface Warfare Officer. His view on today, and Memorial Day is, "I served so children could have a day off from school, and not worry."

I am going to be an officer.

I am the heir to a two hundred twenty odd year tradtion of fighiting at war. I try to remember the first article of the Code of Conduct: I am an American. I serve in the forces that guard my country and our way of life. I am prepard to give my life in their defense.

And the sixth: I will never forget I am an American, resposiblie for my actions, and dedicated to the principles which made my country free. I will trust in my God and the United States of America.

AUTHOR: Michael Thompson DATE: 11/10/2004 04:29:29 PM BODY: To all the Marines who serve, and have served:

Happy 229th! You are the world's greates fighting force.

The Marine's Hymn
From the halls of Montezuma
To the shores of Tripoli,
We fight our country's battles
In the air, on land and sea.
First ot fight for right and freedom,
And to keep our honor clean,
We are proud to claim the title of UNITED STATES MARINE

Our flag's unfurl'd to every breeze
From dawn to setting sun;
We have fought in every clime and place
Where we could take a gun.
In the snow of far off northern lands
And in sunny tropic scenes,
You will find us always on the job-
THE UNITED STATES MARINES

Here's Health to you and to our Corps
Which we are proud to serve;
In many a strife we've fought for life
And never lost our nerve.
If the Army and the Navy
Ever gaze on Heaven's scenes,
They will find the streets are guarded
by UNITED STATES MARINES

From one of you chauffers.

Also, Dean Esmay, Frank J., Power Line, and Smash all have tributes to these brave men.

Oh, and the University of Minnesota NROTC is looking for Future Marine officers.

AUTHOR: Michael Thompson DATE: 11/8/2004 09:42:33 AM BODY: You are King Arthur of the Britons! You let no-one stand in your way, you are brave and strong! Keep searching, you'll find the grail yet!
You are King Arthur of the Britons! You let no-one
stand in your way, you are brave and strong!
Keep searching, you'll find the grail yet!

Which Monty Python & the Holy Grail Character are you REALLY?
brought to you by Quizilla

AUTHOR: Michael Thompson DATE: 10/21/2004 10:16:01 PM BODY: and then there's good shit.

Here's some of the good stuff from the Truth Laid Bear.

AUTHOR: Michael Thompson DATE: 10/18/2004 10:32:26 AM BODY: Are there any more pictures of these ladies available?

AUTHOR: Michael Thompson DATE: 10/18/2004 09:35:22 AM BODY: I grew up with Peter Rabbit around, even though I'm only 18. IS THAT A PROBLEM, Mr. Belton?

AUTHOR: Michael Thompson DATE: 10/2/2004 09:45:08 PM BODY: I've added Transterrestial Musings and Powerline to the blogroll, and some one who asked me to link to them.

As you were.

AUTHOR: Michael Thompson DATE: 10/2/2004 09:40:33 PM BODY: Rand Simberg is an evil bastard. And I like him!

Hat tip Instapundit

AUTHOR: Michael Thompson DATE: 9/30/2004 10:28:40 PM BODY: I went to the watch the debate tonight at Wiley Hall here on the University. It was rather intersting. There was a panel conversation with the Republicans, Democrats, Greens, and Socialist Alternative (Naderites)

A few brief things.
-There were large Kerry and Nader groups, but I didn't expect them to be quiet.
-The President kept his message consistent, and Sen. Kerry tried to keep as much as possible agianst the President.
-However, the President had a few gaffes, that the crowd reacted to.
-The President attacked Kerry for insulting our real allies, who have common interests. Kerry STILL clings to the idea that the Frogs and the Krauts will always be on our side.
-Both had no problem with fighting to preempt an ememy.
-Both of them kept is civil.
-Sen. Kerry was attacking the President on having 6 way talks with North Korea, and not being part of the Anglo-Franco-German team aginst Iran. Trying to have your cake and eat it too?
-Sen. Kerry rejected the concept that America would bear any burden for Freedom around the world. This is rather distressing.
-The Socialist and Green Panel speakers after the debate were against both candidates. The Green fool refered to the President as a "Fascist," the Republican speaker rebutted it, causing the Communications Professor moderating to break it up.
-Oh, and both the outsiders repeated the "Imperialist" and "War for Oil" canards.

To me, I found the President more realistic, and my self more supportable than Sen. Kerry

This post has a lot of posts

COMMENT-AUTHOR:Vigilante d'Sozadee COMMENT-DATE:9:06 AM COMMENT-BODY:You have a point with Kerry on Korea. But, why didn't the Shrub think of it? Therein lies your rub, huh?

I'm linking your site & would appreciate reciprocity?

In the depth of winter, I finally learned that there was within me
an invincible summer. - Camus

COMMENT-AUTHOR:Michael Thompson COMMENT-DATE:8:40 PM COMMENT-BODY:The reason why the President isn't going after N. Korea 1 on 1 is because that doesn't work. That was tried in the 90's by Pres. Clinton, but the Kim Jong-Il broke that agreement. The Chinese bring in more leverage, becasue they give more.

AUTHOR: Michael Thompson DATE: 9/26/2004 09:42:09 PM BODY: I decieded to tes if I could use Barnes and Nobel Gift Cards for E-commerece, and odered Unfit for Command from bn.com. I did, and the book came Wendnesday after it was shipped Saturday.

SO I start it Monday evening. It good. Here are eyewitnessess and fellow officers saying, bluntly, how John Kerry abused the system. "It's the book I don't want written about me," is the first reaction.

The I get into the section on Sen. Kerry's anti-war activites. It looks a lot like Sen. Kerry knowingly violated several federal laws, and arguably commited treason. THey offer a HIGHLY persuasive case for their case.

Recomendation: Read this book!

AUTHOR: Michael Thompson DATE: 9/26/2004 09:26:02 PM BODY: O.K. I've started college, and there's some interesting things. In addtion to all the wierd little groups on campus, my student services fee pays for the Minnesota Programs and Activites Council. Among other things, MPAC shows free movies. So I go out with some friends to Friday's 1900 movie. It's Mean Girls, an enjoyable use of several hours.

The main charcater Kady, played by Linsay Lohan, is quite enjoyable as she goes from formerly-home-schooled-by-circumstance new student to part of the "in" clique. The charcter is smart as well as very good looking. On the first day she meets a rather Goth girl and a guy who is "almost to gay to function." The rest of the movie is about that group of three trying to take down the top girl, by making her fat, and driving off her sycophants. Tina Fey, of SNL plays the rather fusturated but attaractive math teacher (in the beginning she has a soaked shirt). It's set in a fictional highschool in around Evanston, IL, so the sad thing is, I pick up on a lot of local references, like Old Orchard Mall (big uncovered mall), and Walker Bros. Pancake House (Best damm place for breakfast in the area. Apple Pancake, Sausage, beverage of choice).

I thought it was an enjoyable use of time, and I liked it, but your milage may vary.

Oh, and Lohan looks better with her hair in a pony tail than in the fancy style., but that's just me.

AUTHOR: Michael Thompson DATE: 9/26/2004 09:03:47 PM BODY: This post on campagin materials damage occuring I have witnessed.

In front of my parents house in Spring 2003 we had a Liberate Iraq sign. It was stolen the day after we got it while we were at church. Doesn't theft and violence mean you're not practicing what you preach?

On the University of Minnesota Minnapolis Campus, there is a bridge across the Mississippi that has a covered pedestrian section. Tradtionally, the interior panels have signs from student groups. The only abused one is the College Repubicans "BUSH 04" sign.

I find it insulting and un American that some people are so childish they cannot let other people speak their minds in peace. Cowards.

AUTHOR: Michael Thompson DATE: 9/25/2004 11:14:15 AM BODY: Big post of Military Bloggers at the Backcountry Conservative. I'm a Navy ROTC midshpman, so I'm sending this in.

A different Michael Thompson, MIDN, USNRUniversity of Minnesota NROTC unit, August 2004- Present.

AUTHOR: Michael Thompson DATE: 9/13/2004 11:24:23 AM BODY: This is one interesting image gallery. The pictures are from an apparent Border Patrol slide show on Jihadi images and information. I guess its to look for controband that would be helpful for inteligence. Read it, and be amazed.

AUTHOR: Michael Thompson DATE: 9/11/2004 03:14:38 PM BODY: Three years ago I still thought we were safe.

Three years ago I could not belive what happened when I first heard or it.

Now, I am helping to be defend. On the 28th of August I did solemnly swear, "That I will support and defend the Constitution of the United States against all enemies, foreign and domestic; that I will bear true faith and allegiance to the same; that I take this obligation freely, without any mental reservation or purpose of evasion; and that I will well and faithfully discharge the duties of the office on which I am about to enter. So help me God." and joined the U.S. Navy.

When I first heard about what happened, I was in a state of disbelief. We had the oceans to protect us, no one else can get close to our shores.

Wrong.

When confirmation came over the school PA system. I was shocke, and wanting to get back at whoever did this to us.

We are at war. We cannot forget this. We will win, or die trying, for it is better to die a free man than to live as a slave.

Let's roll.

AUTHOR: Michael Thompson DATE: 9/10/2004 10:42:22 AM BODY: Tommorrow, the NROTC unit I am a memeber of is running a 5km walk/run. It is the battalion's primary fundraiser. If anyone is interested, the unit site is here: http://www.nrotc.umn.edu/.

AUTHOR: Michael Thompson DATE: 9/9/2004 05:33:25 PM BODY: Looking for a Few Good Dogs?

Because this dog certainly is that way. Too bad the Marine Corps' mascot is the English Bulldog, not some mutt.

AUTHOR: Michael Thompson DATE: 9/6/2004 02:57:48 PM BODY: Racoons in a dumpster. Ladies, any takers?

AUTHOR: Michael Thompson DATE: 9/6/2004 01:51:33 PM BODY: The use of childern as hostages Beslan has hard questions, that we must ask. This post starts to explore them.

We are fighting an enemy who has no ethic or morals. He only fights for a sick vision of the future. We must be better than him, and not intentionally kill little children. We aren't fighting Adolf who had morals, we're fighting a deeper enemy, who hate us for being us.

It is time to arms.

AUTHOR: Michael Thompson DATE: 9/4/2004 09:40:18 PM BODY: Many other people have taleked about his, but what has happened these past few days in Russia is showing the true nature of who we are fighting.

These are a people with no morals, who look to the past for their idea of a perfect society, where a theocracy rules. We cannot negotiate, we have to fight.

Which side are you on?

AUTHOR: Michael Thompson DATE: 9/4/2004 09:38:20 PM BODY: The past week I was on duty for Navy ROTC New Student Orientation. There were 23 freshmen, none dropped out, and we had a blast. I am not felling to bad, but I pulled my right groin. It hurts, but I will live.

AUTHOR: Michael Thompson DATE: 8/27/2004 12:59:33 PM BODY: Tommorow I start a week with minimal, if any, computer access, so I won't be posting. So this should hold what few readers I have for a while.

AUTHOR: Michael Thompson DATE: 8/27/2004 12:13:28 PM BODY: Today is the Birthday of author C.S. Forester. He is most famous for African Queen, and the Horatio Hornblower series of novels. I first read Hornblower in 1999 when the movies came out on A&E. They are quite good at potraying a reluctant hero and one who is quite human. Perhaps Battletech could use a Hornblower.

AUTHOR: Michael Thompson DATE: 8/25/2004 10:52:07 PM BODY: Hey Tim-
Wanna make a bit of extra money, cheap?

Do what all the little old chuch ladies do- hold a rummage sale. Get rid of all the stuff your predecessors squirilled away, and make a bit of cash.
-Arnie.

Where I got this crazy idea. Tim in this is MN governor Tim Pawlenty (R), and I think everyone should know who Arnie is.

If not, what hole have you been in?

AUTHOR: Michael Thompson DATE: 8/25/2004 11:53:23 AM BODY: 60 years ago today, Paris was liberated from Nazi control by French Partisans, Tanks, and an American Division.

The French have regreted it since then.

AUTHOR: Michael Thompson DATE: 8/25/2004 10:45:57 AM BODY: AP story about the first Israeli Olympic gold. Next time two golds?

AUTHOR: Michael Thompson DATE: 8/24/2004 02:24:13 PM BODY: I am more than willing to join this conspiracy.

AUTHOR: Michael Thompson DATE: 8/13/2004 12:54:05 PM BODY: Al-Sadr Wounded! Hey, if he's slowed down, we can get him easier!

AUTHOR: Michael Thompson DATE: 8/7/2004 10:16:48 AM BODY: This article scares me shitless. The sailor metioned here needs to be called up, and given to a CPO.

AUTHOR: Michael Thompson DATE: 8/6/2004 02:02:57 PM BODY: Slaughter is what is happening in Iraq. This is what happens when poorly equiped irregulars charge a disciplined force. It could be worse.

AUTHOR: Michael Thompson DATE: 8/5/2004 09:32:03 PM BODY: The Swift Boat Veterans are already in hot water. Sen. Kerry's Campaign is already saying it is not true. In fact, both sides are condemming it strongly. However, I think Scott McClellan also said something about Move on.org and its ilk, in his comments about soft money doations.

My view on political donations is in favor of unlimeted amounts. Why should I be unable to say how much I support and believe in this person, and why they should be in office?

AUTHOR: Michael Thompson DATE: 8/5/2004 09:29:20 PM BODY: The British are trying to revive the position of court Jester. I wonder how well that will go over.

Everyone needs a laugh!

AUTHOR: Michael Thompson DATE: 8/5/2004 11:28:30 AM BODY: From CNN.com, here's a story about a potential terrorist incident that was broken up. I hope this is the closest we get.

From Lt. Smash

AUTHOR: Michael Thompson DATE: 8/4/2004 01:56:27 PM BODY: Today marks the 300th Anniversy of Gibraltar being taken from the Spanish by an Anglo-Dutch fleet.

The Royal Marines consider this to be their primary honor.

Because of the British status, it is my father's idea of paradise. British Beer, and Mediterrian Seafood and Climate.

AUTHOR: Michael Thompson DATE: 8/4/2004 12:45:10 PM BODY: Even though I am a nobody with only one link, in this I would be the only FFA member.

Yep. I've got the card, good through next November.

AUTHOR: Michael Thompson DATE: 8/3/2004 08:10:44 PM BODY: I am a very thin person, almost cadaverously. I weigh around 140 lbs and am 6'2". However, I don't really care about other peoples size, except for extremes. That is why I found this interesting. I know people who are healthy despite being fairly round. There are people who are by nature that way.

AUTHOR: Michael Thompson DATE: 8/3/2004 08:06:18 PM BODY: This AP based story makes it seem like the Republicans can use the idea of Winning One for the Gipper in 2004.

AUTHOR: Michael Thompson DATE: 8/3/2004 08:02:16 PM BODY: 13 arrested in the U.K. Hopefully nothing will happen in the next few months. That would be bad.

AUTHOR: Michael Thompson DATE: 7/29/2004 10:43:45 AM BODY: Well, today is my 18th birthday. I'm not going to do too much though. COMMENT-AUTHOR:Editor COMMENT-DATE:3:08 PM COMMENT-BODY:Congrats!

AUTHOR: Michael Thompson DATE: 7/28/2004 10:12:48 PM BODY: Irony is ads for Playboy and Maxim on a Gay Man's Blog!

AUTHOR: Michael Thompson DATE: 7/27/2004 03:36:27 PM BODY: . . .This action is a start at moving against terrorist funding at home. Hopefully more of this will follow.

AUTHOR: Michael Thompson DATE: 7/21/2004 08:17:53 PM BODY: right here is what happens what happens when you give terrosist what they want. You get more hitting back at you, trying for the same things. The gloves really need to come off. Just kill the bastards as soon as possible.

AUTHOR: Michael Thompson DATE: 7/20/2004 09:08:09 PM BODY: This Article on Hispanic immigrants is not surprisng. I have seen some of the same syndrome at a charter school in Minnesota.

One of the few students repeating a grade was Hispanic (the other was an arrogant little asshole). The Hispanic students were always in a group, speaking spanish and being larcenous and insolent. Thy were the least well integrated group in the school. Hell, they would have been the problem. Hat tip: J.J. Ray.

AUTHOR: Michael Thompson DATE: 7/20/2004 06:18:12 PM BODY: Smash is rightfully shocked by former NSA Berger's behavior. I would to.

What kind of fool is he?

AUTHOR: Michael Thompson DATE: 7/20/2004 05:42:55 PM BODY: Who would venture that the 9/11/2001 Commission Report will become another Warren Commission Report where there are a few people who belive it is all a conspiracy theory?

The odds are close to one, as it is already occuring.

Besides, they're working on limited evindence. Commissioner Lehman's remark about editorializing is interesting.

AUTHOR: Michael Thompson DATE: 7/20/2004 05:34:28 PM BODY: Exploxsive Portable Toilet

I would have to clean this twin up. Any takers?

AUTHOR: Michael Thompson DATE: 7/14/2004 07:18:17 PM BODY: I picked up USA Today this morning at the University of Minnesota. In the Life section, IIRC, there was an article about how the two major candidates children are getting involved in the campaigns. Who had the longer article?

Sen. Kerry's daughters.

This isn't the first time I've seen this. At CNN.com, they have Edwards and Kerry photo essays, but none for Bush or Cheney?

My point:
If you sell your self as an information service, give both sides.

These items are not what I was talking about.

AUTHOR: Michael Thompson DATE: 7/13/2004 06:17:59 PM BODY: Steven Den Beste 15 March 2004

Bob Lang relased 13 July 2004. These have similar ideas, no?

I find Bob Lang as being one of the few editorial cartoonists I agree with, along with These two.

AUTHOR: Michael Thompson DATE: 7/13/2004 11:58:55 AM BODY: Blame John F. Kenedy for hats going out. He refeused to wear one to his inauguration.

Oh, and CBT.com has a new webboard. We're all at the bottom again, although Wombat may be setting a record for Time to SGT.

AUTHOR: Michael Thompson DATE: 7/11/2004 12:51:57 PM BODY: CNN.com thinks a 100 year old sprinter's record and a re-enactment of a duel are highly important.

Here's a Gratuitus link to IMAO. It's just to shut Frank up!

Kim DuToit has British chicks this weekend.

The British Military is Threatened with bigger cuts than B.C. tried.

Pork barrel Redux!

Volokh has some unsuprising words from Russian.

And that's what I found interesting today.

AUTHOR: Michael Thompson DATE: 7/7/2004 04:06:50 PM BODY: It's bad!
My place of choice to whittle away my internet hours, the Classic Battletech web forum is down!

Deathshadow, the webdesigner, is working on it. SOme one tell me whe its up. And tell Mr. Foster down on the side bar!
-Michael "nerd" Thompson. (COMMENT-AUTHOR:Editor COMMENT-DATE:11:29 PM COMMENT-BODY:No! The horror, the horror...

I read on Lords of the Battlefield that not only was the site down, but that the host had deleted all the files as well. I hope they don't have to rebuild everything from scratch. :( COMMENT-AUTHOR:Michael Thompson COMMENT-DATE:6:19 PM COMMENT-BODY:I hope not either!

AUTHOR: Michael Thompson DATE: 7/7/2004 03:57:52 PM BODY: Kerry's picked a running mate. Much like his idol, he's got another senator backing him up, but this time its a pretty boy trial lawer, not a crusty old politician. Reaction has been mixed around the blogosphere (see roll), and it is interesting.

My reactions:

Smart-ass: It's the two headed campaign!
(John is another term for toilet, which is called a head on a ship)

Serious: Well, this time you have the less personable person at the top of the ticket. Interesting, isn't it? Why should I support a liar and an ambulance chaser?

AUTHOR: Michael Thompson DATE: 7/7/2004 03:56:40 PM BODY: What is this thing????

AUTHOR: Michael Thompson DATE: 7/7/2004 03:52:32 PM BODY: Today would be Robert A. Heinlien's 97th birthday.

I think many of us would wonder what the old man would have thought of our current events.

"It's taken this long for private spaceflight, but when I died it wasn't anywhere near ready."

AUTHOR: Michael Thompson DATE: 7/4/2004 10:39:53 PM BODY: Well, another Fourth of July!

Yet again the anniversery of when a few brave leaders voted and approved the Declaration of Independance.

AUTHOR: Michael Thompson DATE: 7/4/2004 10:01:25 PM BODY: Every so often I go up north to my grandmother's cabin. It is on a lake in northern MN, and an interesting issue came up.

Some lake houses have low property values because of Tribal rights.

Lesse, netting of fish for one specie and throwing out the rest, Legal tresspassing, some fisheries destroyed, and a level of legal immunity? Any reason why the rest of the community is a little upset?

Orignially, there were treaties because the Indians were independant nations, but as time went on, they became a defacto part of the United States.

In the 1920's, Congress passed a Citizenship Act that gave all Indians American citizenship, changed their status from the infamous 3/5ths clause in the Consitistuion.

Shouldn't this remove treaty rights, since as American Citizens they have the same rights under the 14th Amendment?

AUTHOR: Michael Thompson DATE: 6/29/2004 09:23:16 AM BODY: Ohhhhh man!
Samizdata editor Dale Amon posts his pictures from Mojave Spaceport. I really would like to get a ride some day. I don't have the eyesight to make through the U.S. gunmit program, so it looks like a personal ride is the way to go for me. Now I need to start saving money for it!

I know what the graduation fund will be for now!!!!

AUTHOR: Michael Thompson DATE: 6/28/2004 03:40:30 PM BODY: They Finally Do It!
In this CNN/AP story, MSP international has started a pilot program to allow frequent flyers to go through less security. It makes sense to remove people who aren't security risks from the list of possible ones.

Took them long enough.

AUTHOR: Michael Thompson DATE: 6/27/2004 09:51:09 PM BODY: Heh
One of the few times I will agree with Dr. ElBaradei! Not Enough Nukes! Yes, Nuclear power is much better than all the others available. There is less gunk emmitted, the greatest fuel weight to energy ratio of any existing power source, and recycling used fuel. It is, in my opoinion. I've taken a look at "alternative fuels," but they offer a low fuel mass to energy ration.

AUTHOR: Michael Thompson DATE: 6/27/2004 06:00:14 PM BODY: Not F---ing Suprising!
Not being from Minnesota, J.J. Ray is suprised about the Star Tribune. Just so you know, it wasn't called the Red Star for nothing.

AUTHOR: Michael Thompson DATE: 6/23/2004 05:27:35 PM BODY: Another Addtion
I added another CBT memeber to the side bar, Brian Foster.

AUTHOR: Michael Thompson DATE: 6/22/2004 11:25:10 AM BODY: Iranian Incident
My view: The Mullahs deserve threats, and negotiations. The Shat-al-Arab water way really needs to be decided. And the border should go down the middle of the channel.

AUTHOR: Michael Thompson DATE: 6/22/2004 09:55:56 AM BODY: Paging Mr. Heinlien!
Scaled Composites launch successful! Yesterday, SpaceShip One launched for it's first 62.5 mile launch. Next up, X-prize, then orbit. Lots more here and here. These two had people on site.

AUTHOR: Michael Thompson DATE: 6/18/2004 03:51:52 PM BODY: Serves the Bastard Right!
According to this AP story, Bill Clinton was banished to the couch by Hillary. Glad to know somethings are constant at the highest levels.

However, she took him back after impeachment. Still dosen't make me like him.

Oh, and Clinton wasn't punished enough for Perjury. AUTHOR: Michael Thompson DATE: 6/12/2004 12:02:09 PM BODY: Last Reagan Post!
Republican slogan for the rest of 2004: Winning this one for the Gipper.
COMMENT-AUTHOR:Michael Thompson COMMENT-DATE:12:15 PM COMMENT-BODY:This post has been removed by the author. AUTHOR: Michael Thompson DATE: 6/9/2004 07:09:10 PM BODY: Good bye, Mr. President.
I've been listening to the Regean farwell at the Capitol. Listening to it, I fell, my god, I am PROUD to be a heir to this tradtion. I know how I feel, and that is lucky. That I feal that I am indebted to this man, even though I did not know him, that I am able to be free.
Thank You.

The speaches earlier, are amoazing. Speaker Hastert's, is amazing. Thank You, Sirs.

That we choose to honor average people that do extraordinary things is amazing. We do need these things. Because of this legacy, I am proud I have earned a Navy Reserve Officers Training Corps Scholarship.

Please take him, Father.

AUTHOR: Michael Thompson DATE: 6/9/2004 07:00:44 PM BODY: A Respectful Cartoon
Here, from CNN. AUTHOR: Michael Thompson DATE: 6/7/2004 09:17:44 AM BODY: Well, We Haven't Seen This Before!
In this post from Lt. Smash, he explains his meeting of a socialist teacher. It is intersting but not suprising.

I am a certificable Navy Brat, having been born in Portsmouth, VA Naval Hospital (avoid them if possible, manditory IV's), and bounced around the country, 5 schools by 5th grade. If there was one constant, my parents kept a very strong intrest in my education. Drove me nuts, but I survived.

The school I just graduated from, thanks to its founder, has felt its mission to preperation, and the teachers wanted to see the students succeed. Also, there weren't any indocs, because they were all to young and idealistic.

AUTHOR: Michael Thompson DATE: 6/5/2004 06:54:01 PM BODY: Good Job, Sir.
Former President Regean died today.

Reactions from my Blogroll:
Michelle
Dean Esmay
the LGF community
Chafetz at Oxblog
The First of RWN's series
Lee of Right Thinking
Sgt. Strkyer
Emperor Misha's view
Volokh's Housekeepers
Stephen Green
Winds of Change's retrospective

Will add the rest from my BlogRoll later.

UPDATE, 6 June 2004
American Real Politik
John Cole
Citizen Smash
the Daily Pundit
J. J. Ray.
Bill Whittle
Kim du Toit's 6 June 1944/Regean post
Moe Freedman
the Samizdata.net Team's Retropsective
Andrew Sullivan.

AUTHOR: Michael Thompson DATE: 5/31/2004 10:12:12 PM BODY: Finally!
Well, on Friday I graduated from High School. My local daily paper referred to me in this article. Just my name (Michael Thompson), but its still there.

A smaller paper referred to my school here, but not me. In a different article right here I am referred to. This is all kind of cool.

And if you really want to go into the school, here is its website. I've got a few references on there.

AUTHOR: Michael Thompson DATE: 5/24/2004 05:10:32 PM BODY: I am NOT Worthy!
Prof. Volkh-
In your 21 May 2004 entry, you call a poll unscientific at CNN.com. You seem to have forgotten a few things.

First, any internet poll is inherently unreliable, as it questions only a few people who are interested and want to see the poll.

Second, the phrasing of the poll is important, as "Should the right of innocent citizens to keep semi-automatic fireams banned solely on looks be removed?" would generate a different response than the primary question.

Third, they have a disclaimer at the top saying what I said under point one. It is hard to miss though.

AUTHOR: Michael Thompson DATE: 5/22/2004 01:34:10 PM BODY: Yet Antoher Quiz
Neverwhere
You are Neverwhere! You are dark, intriguing, and
lenient. You might make people feel
uncomfortable, either because you are
intimidating or you dress differently possibly
both. In reality you are a nice person, but
people tend to make snap judgments about you
and think they can push you around. You
probably are idealistic and dream of a utopian
society. The friends that you have are the kind
that last forever and you are fun and
easy-going when people bother to get to know
you.

Hat Tip: A Small Victory

AUTHOR: Michael Thompson DATE: 5/21/2004 10:20:59 PM BODY: Hmmm.
Sir-
You've jumped to some conclusions here. Former Secretary Lehman criticized the C3 structure of the NYFD and PD.

It is not suprising that he said characterized it as poor.

The biggest reason they have such bad C3 between the branches uniformaly sucks is a nasty rivalry that makes the services funding battles seem TINY!

A small amount of proof is my younger brother, a High School FRESHMAN, is in the Fire Explorers. He refers to the Police as "Doughnut Eating [insert insulting name here]s." Hmmm, when they are training in a rivalry at the earliest stages, does not suprise me that there is bad communications.

Another example, in a Chicago Suburb, I took a First Aid course from the Fire Department. The teacher, a paramedic, said the police departments do not know anything about rescuing.

Yes, these are small incidents, but they are indicidive of a larger division, with each regarding the other is unable to do a job. Think, please.

Oh, on Sec. Lehman, the man ran through nasty protestors and police barricades around the White House during the Nixon Adminstration, as well as flew over N. Vietnam for several tours.

Respectfully,

Michael Thompson.

AUTHOR: Michael Thompson DATE: 5/13/2004 05:39:03 PM BODY: Why I Still Read the Paper

I don't get the local daily at home, but I still pick up a copy at school to read during lunch. This Instapost show one reason the old media sucks- it does not answer what the people are interested in. However, there are a few reasons I still read it.

1st- Local news. I hate tromping around a site looking for a catergory.

2nd- Comics. Who doesn't want to laugh.

3rd- Reliability. No electricity, no worries.

4th- Portablity. I'm not tied to a computer. I can read at a lunch table.

AUTHOR: Michael Thompson DATE: 5/13/2004 05:31:36 PM BODY: To Many of My Fellow Students

I know some of you are concerned about a possible military draft. Mr. Dunnigan has a few words for you on that. He is highly reliable, as many respected Bloggers. Not to mention, his books have helped me with more than a few papers.

AUTHOR: Michael Thompson DATE: 5/13/2004 05:25:15 PM BODY: Hrumph
This guy makes my problems look minor.

AUTHOR: Michael Thompson DATE: 5/13/2004 05:17:50 PM BODY: We Know

The CIA, is very sure that Al-Zarqawi killed Nick Berg. Story from CNN here. This action is absolutely disgusting. Those who did this do not deserve quarter.

Oh, and I find Saudi Ambassador to the U.S. Bandar's quote stupid. Berg was not a "detainee." He was kidnapped.

AUTHOR: Michael Thompson DATE: 5/13/2004 04:46:01 PM BODY: Not Suprising

The next issue of Reason Magazine is personalized, circling the recepiants house. I am not suprised by this, since there is a tren to high qulaity personalized goods after a certain point. This entry is about that. People, fundamentaly, want to be treated as indiviuals.

AUTHOR: Michael Thompson DATE: 5/3/2004 09:17:25 PM BODY: GO GRAY!

One of the weirdest things I have ever seen is is the idea of someone hitting people with a fish. However, this weeks adventure in thwacking, is well deserved.

No one other than Grey deserves a link from a big blog.

AUTHOR: Michael Thompson DATE: 4/30/2004 03:07:31 PM BODY: Yet ANother Quiz

What Type of Villain are You?

mutedfaith.com.

AUTHOR: Michael Thompson DATE: 4/29/2004 09:47:12 PM BODY: Interesting
Looking at this entry from Dr. J. J. Ray, I could not help but notice a similarity between these and those of the United Methodist Church. It is not suprising, but it is nice to see.

AUTHOR: Michael Thompson DATE: 4/27/2004 08:35:32 PM BODY: Good Point
What this post is about proves a maxim of mine: A group is dead when it defines it self primarily by who it is not.

Mr. President, Try using this in an attack!

AUTHOR: Michael Thompson DATE: 4/25/2004 02:40:45 PM BODY: Must. . .
Push. . . People. . . Up. . .In . . .The. . . Ecosystem!

Mr. den Beste here. Anyone else?

AUTHOR: Michael Thompson DATE: 4/24/2004 08:05:39 PM BODY: Update
Kate, of Electric Venom has linked to me on the list of "prey." Thank you.

Big Gun!
The Marines want a bigger gun!

See the 23 April 2004 article here. They are dissatisifed with the M9, so they want a .45 cal. Go with it!

AUTHOR: Michael Thompson DATE: 4/23/2004 08:35:13 PM BODY: American Warfighting
I have noticed the majority of American wars that stay in our collective memory are fought for as much as anything, for the future.

Our Revolution was fighting for our future as a nation and people.
The American Civil war was fought for two visions, we are one nation and there is a society where there is an idea of equality.
The Second World War was fought to decide wheather the future was to be one of hope, or one of dark oppression.
The Cold War was the battle of ideas, between peoples who valued their words at face values, and a group of shameless, lying tyrants who would stop an nothing to promote their ideas.
Our war against Terrorism is one where we must fight to insure, "that goverment for the people, by the people, and of the people shall not perish from this earth," as much as anything else.

What are you fighting for?

AUTHOR: Michael Thompson DATE: 4/23/2004 08:32:44 PM BODY: Pat Tillman

Like so many people who wish to comment on this, I have something to say.

SPC Tillman was a man, who gave up so much for a future. AUTHOR: Michael Thompson DATE: 4/22/2004 09:56:15 PM BODY: A review
As I promised somewhere that's not linkable, here is my review of Grey's latest.

GREY!
FIND ANOTHER CELEBRITY TO THWAK or rerun something from the old board archives!

Edit: Where's my link? ;)

AUTHOR: Michael Thompson DATE: 4/22/2004 08:34:18 PM BODY: Yet another Quiz

:: how jedi are you? ::

AUTHOR: Michael Thompson DATE: 4/20/2004 08:11:10 PM BODY: Good!
As recored a few other places, PM Blair is hoping to put the EU Consituion to a vote. CNN story here.

I feel that this is the best way because the pople will get their say in the matter.

Oh, and the Leader of the Oppostion asked, "Can we ever trust you again?"

Who on this side of the Pond does this sound like?

Hint: he's a Massachuets liberal.

AUTHOR: Michael Thompson DATE: 4/20/2004 08:01:31 PM BODY: Gah!
I knew this would happen.

My paper is giving me ads about Calorie counters. THOSE ARE THE WRONG KIND OF CALORIES.

My work used calories (cal), each is the amount of energy required to heat 1mL of water 1()C. The dietary calories are equal to 1000 of the ones I meausred with.

AUTHOR: Michael Thompson DATE: 4/18/2004 02:23:35 PM BODY: Sad, Ain't It?

How much this is true.

AUTHOR: Michael Thompson DATE: 4/16/2004 09:50:28 PM BODY: One of the Bagpipers

Who will never recive insults for wearing a kilt a MARINE is of African descent. Story here from CNN. Some comentary is here at the Stryker Team.

Whoa, that's about my most link heavy post.

AUTHOR: Michael Thompson DATE: 4/14/2004 04:21:45 PM BODY: My Curse

No one I know has been throught the same kind of hell I have. K-4 I moved about every year. I was always the odd man out in life. I grew used to my own company for several years.

May be that's why I don't like other people.

I don't know why, but this has left me with a very fragile ego. I can go from a very high high to a rock bottom low very quickly. I don't respond to jokes where I am the butt. I respond well to positive stuff, and I go to a dark and deppressive rock bottom when I am feeling bad.

The other strong trait is a need for self reliance. I do not enjoy working with others, and I often push other people out and do the all the work my self, as I feel that I can only trust my self.

This is my curse.

AUTHOR: Michael Thompson DATE: 4/5/2004 02:19:46 PM BODY: Recycling
This story is the best way to reuse an old bridge. SCIENCE EXPERIMENT!

I should have a book coming on a sceince subject.

AUTHOR: Michael Thompson DATE: 4/3/2004 02:36:50 PM BODY: Not Happy
I am not to happy as I just recieved letters of rejection from both the U.S Naval Academy and the Merchant Marine Academy.

I just want to be left alone to sulk for a little while.

AUTHOR: Michael Thompson DATE: 3/28/2004 06:03:19 PM BODY: Good!

In the oldest rivalry in the English Speaking world, Cambridge beat Oxford.

AUTHOR: Michael Thompson DATE: 3/24/2004 06:25:26 PM BODY: The Paper
READER: From here on this be the work of Mr. MICHAEL THOMPSON. Cite the URL above for location and give me credit.

Calorie Science Applied to Electrical Generation:
Caloric Comparisons of Biomass and Fossil Fuels
Michael Thompson
Mr. Carl Aakre, Adviser

Abstract

Calorie Science is use in the comparison of products based on energy produced, and is most often applied to food products. The primary goal of the experiment is to quantify whether coal or biomass fuels are superior in heat production. The experiment and research are inconclusive, despite and apparent lead of coal in heat production.

Review of Literature

In recent years the economy of the United States has become more and more dependent on electronic equipment, and electricity needs have increased dramatically, without a noticeable increase in electrical generation in high demand areas (Lelyveld, May 9 2001). This has caused supply not to keep up with demand, leading up to incidents such as the 2000 and 2001 blackouts in California (Betz, 2001). One possible solution to this problem has been the use of biomass electrical generation. This is merely changing existing fuels, typically coal for wood or farm wastes (Anderson, 2001). Biomass fuels are the use of plant materials for electrical or other energy generation (CMP Information, 2003; Oak Ridge National Laboratory, 2003). Agriculturally, biomass can be made from purpose grown crops to the waste of a grain field (Oak Ridge National Laboratory, 2003). Use of biomass has been proposed as a poss

Posted by thomp356 at 12:01 PM