Pirates!

Gee, I think letting a few small warships loose in this area would cure this problem.

A test run for USS Freedom(LCS-1), perhaps

Posted by thomp356 at 2:31 PM

Rare Entry

Following N. Z. Bear's call to blogs, I feel it is necesscary to state, in the plainest possible terms the following.

I oppose the Miers nomination.

Speaking not for the University, or any other organization I belong to, I do not belive Harriet Miers is the best qualifed person to take a role on the Supreme Court. She simply does not have the background in jurispondence to take on this role.

I do not anticipate doing this again in the future.

Posted by thomp356 at 3:24 PM

Pain to Read

While this is supposed to be funny, I don't really think of it that way.

It's more of a pain to read, because it shows how defeatest we've let the media become defeatist. Part of it is how J-schools have deceided to think of themselves as not being Americans first. This anti-Americanism means that the public recives a one sided acount of what goes on, a major disservice to them.

Posted by thomp356 at 3:15 PM

Hurricane Aftermath

I know it's been a while since I last touched this, but I felt I had to say this.

I've lived through a Hurricane, Bob in '91, in Newport RI. It was just downed trees and the power went out.

I can't imagine how bad Katrina was.

Well, for me the consequenses aren't too bad, with not having a car, and living up here in Minnesota. But I do know that plans will have to change, as the NROTC unit won't have the Drill Meet in Tulane this year. No walking amongst the drunks on Burbon St. (an overated place imho), no seeing a buddy giving away "gift" beads for getting flashed.

However, this picture is kind of nice to see. It made my day.

Posted by thomp356 at 11:04 AM

BRAC 05

They announced the planned closing and re-alignment of many bases today. It's been big news, at the top of CNN.com all day. I'm looking through it, and I see a lot of reserve center closings. Some, like the one in Forest Park, IL, make sense, as there's a duplication. But I wouldn't be suprised if there is a problem with reenlistments, because people will be upset they can't go to an easily accessable reserve center. Forest Park is in the Chicago area, and there's another one in Great Mistak-, err, Lakes. However, if one is closed down in some areas, there will be an issue in the next few years.

On Topic Links

AP /CNN list of Bases

John Cole makes commentary, along with his peanut gallery

Smash and crew provide information.

Instapundit links someone else's thoughts.

Posted by thomp356 at 4:57 PM

Sixty Years Ago

Today is the sixtith anniversery of VE Day. It was a long campaign that would have made most people today shriek at the casualties, but it was worth it. I thank them. The Preisedent's actions in the Baltic states should be a reminder that we need to prevent tyrants from taking what they want. If there is one thing we must remember from this era, it is appesments of tyranny leads to war.

Posted by thomp356 at 1:20 PM

Grr. Arrg.

Today I've heard a radio commercial for the HHGG movie. Twice. It opens Friday and I'm pissed. I have a full weekend, and it's two weeks from finals. Gaaa.

Posted by thomp356 at 5:09 PM

My God. . .

The horrors inflicted by the Nazi regime are still shocking 60 years after. I am shocked by any who would wish to emulate them, and I feel just horrifed at what they did. I can never forget the picture of the skeletal men, seeing their liberators coming in, and realizind their liberation is at hand.

This is why we must say "Never Again" to appeasement.

ht LGF

Posted by thomp356 at 10:33 AM

The Pope is Dead

HH John Paul II died last night. Personally, I really do not care much about the Catholic Church's leadership, as a Protestant, but he was a great man. His oppostion to Communism brought Poland to our side, and he did stand up for what he belived in. This is what made him a great man.

He is now with the Jesus and the Saints, for his just reward, for service and leadership. God be with im.

Posted by thomp356 at 5:01 PM

Afterwords. . .

On the 22nd I posted about the planned protest on Northrup Mall here at the U. When the bus went by about 1220, I didn't see anything. It didn't look like there was much of anything, but today, there was a story in the Daily.

The actual article primarlily quotes the organizers, there was a group of Protest Warriors, who get bad mouthed in the video the Daily provides. But they got FRONT PAGE, right behind the leader with the megaphone, coverage.

Dang, I wish I'd been there, but I had class.

Posted by thomp356 at 11:04 PM

Definately. . .

Vandalism it is not correct to destroy property to prove a point. If you have to do that, you are saying that you do not have any thing left to say, and are a base, low life. That is what vandalising a recruiting station means.

Posted by thomp356 at 9:22 PM

Another Dead!

John DeLorean is dead. I know a kid who wants to own an used one.

And Franco is still dead, as is Stalin, and Henry Ford.

Posted by thomp356 at 3:57 PM

Takes Them. . .

My last Blogger posting was on George F. Kennan. Here's a link to the CNN article about him. It took them long enought to get it out.

Posted by thomp356 at 8:41 PM