Assignment #1

I could have also titled this post "How cookies almost made me lose my mind." It was a close call.

This week's assignment was to innovate a new kind of cookie; either through form factor, flavor combination, manner of consumption, etc. Here was my original list of ideas:

Ones that are still cookies basically:

• Layered cookie

• Cookie with multiple doughs of different baking soda amounts (inflates in the middle)

• Some sort of shell in the middle filled with liquid

• Different shapes for functionality, sticks, bowls

• - Bowls could be made in muffin tin
    - Hold structure with shot glass or dry beans, remove after.

• Blood cookies: tons of red food coloring, melt into "pools of blood" when baked

Kind of cookies:

• Solid chocolate with cookie chunks in it (inverse chocolate chip)

• -Fudge instead?
    -Sea salt?

• Chocolate shell with cookie on top, shell filled with something?

• -Cookie on bottom, shell pushed into it?
    -Filled with white wine?

• Mini cookies (like little balls)

• -Think there's a candy like this already...

• Ball cookies (large)

• -Structure could be tricky

• Flexible cookies

• - Put caramel or taffy elements into it, could bend and sandwich other things into it.

Lots of fun and interesting ideas (in my opinion anyway), but not so many that I could experiment with without many days and an extensive test kitchen. Thus, I went with, what I thought was, one of my easier ideas.

First attempt: Cookie cups filled with chocolate. Commence frustration.

DSC_2610_1.jpg

DSC_2612_1.jpg

Decided to vary the amount of baking soda to change how much the cookies will rise.

DSC_2627.jpg

Looks pretty good, right?

DSC_2628_1.jpg

NOPE.

DSC_2633.jpg

So I put an egg shell in it. Only logical thing to do. And a pile of chocolate ships.

DSC_2635.jpg

Okay, might be onto something here.

DSC_2636.jpg

Removed the egg and put in melted chocolate. Put it in the freezer and then removed it from the pan. However, turns out that no matter what you do the cookie will get torn to shit when you remove it. Tasted okay though.

From here I decided to move on to my next idea, because this really didn't seem to be going anywhere. On an unrelated note, I never wanted to eat another cookie again.

Which brings me to the inverse chocolate chip cookie, or cookie chunk fudge as I like to call it.

Attempt number two: Cookie chunk fudge

Basically I thought it would be cool to switch the functions of the two main parts of a chocolate chip cookie, the dough and the chocolate chips. Thus the chocolate would be the structure and the dough would make up little surprises within the cookie. But I didn't want to have just a chunk of solid chocolate with cookie chunks in it, so I went with a fudge recipe that has a very classic chocolate flavor and put chunks of cookie into that (with a chocolate chip cookie recipe as the base for the dough).

Here's how the whole process went!

DSC_2639.jpg

DSC_2652.jpg

Mmmmm...mini cookies.

DSC_2655.jpg

DSC_2640.jpg

Important to get your nourishment while baking. Gael's pizza in St. Louis Park, check it out.

DSC_2645.jpg

DSC_2654.jpg

Now that's what I call fudge.

DSC_2648.jpg

Make sure your pan is well greased!

DSC_2659.jpg

But how do I get these out of the pan...

DSC_2662.jpg

...with a plastic tube of course! But how do I get the fudge cylinder out of the tube...

Thumbnail image for DSC_2668.jpg

...well of course with a chopstick and paper towel! The paper towel kept the chopstick from crushing the cookie or denting the fudge. Pretty creative if you ask me.

DSC_2670.jpg

And voila! Not exactly a classic cookie, but I still think it was pretty tasty!

Finally, here is the recipe:

Cookie chunks:

• 1 1/8 cups all-purpose flour
  • 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 1/2 cup butter or margarine, softened
  • 3/8 cup granulated sugar
  • 3/8 cup packed brown sugar
  • 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
  • 1 large egg

Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
Combine flour, baking soda and salt in small bowl. Beat butter, granulated sugar, brown sugar and vanilla extract in large mixer bowl until creamy. Add egg one, beating well. Gradually beat in flour mixture. Drop by rounded teaspoon onto ungreased baking sheets. You want the cookies much smaller than usual, about a dime in diameter (this way they will be crunchier than usual)
Bake for 9 to 11 minutes or until golden brown. Cool on baking sheets for 2 minutes; remove to wire racks to cool completely.
Cut into desired size, I suggest quartering them. You will probably have extra dough. Consume said dough.

I halved this recipe which is why the numbers are weird!

Fudge:

• 3 cups semisweet chocolate chips
  • 1 (14 ounce) can sweetened condensed milk
  • 1/4 cup butter

Place chocolate chips, sweetened condensed milk, and butter or margarine in large microwaveable bowl. Zap in microwave on medium until chips are melted, about 3-5 minute, stirring once or twice during cooking. Don't begin heating mixture until cookies are cool and ready to go.

Pour into 8x8" well-greased glass baking sheet.

Once the cookies are cooled, place them into freshly warm fudge and place whole mixture into refrigerator. Let cool until set. If desired, cut into circle shapes to get the full inverse-cookie effect.

hey!
I enjoy your writing style. I also liked your cookies enough to eat a few after the crush was over. The pizza bit in the middle was a tad surprising. Your captions were funny. What was the deal with the eggshell? Was it used in the final one?

Looks like I need to revisit my overall layout for my blog now! Great post overall. Did you have any sketches or other process work that helped inspire your creations? How about any photos of other cookies/recipes that caught your eye when you were thinking about the project. Perfect example of using creativity in both design of the cookie and in the process of actually making it!

nice layout of the blog, especially with the introduction for your ideas and then the process. the pictures were a nice arrangement as they were a linear story of their own (captions were nice touch too).

Very engaging way of explaining how you made your cookies.