It is really starting to pick up now.. Class visits and student number have been a complete success. I am very happy with the progress of the students. Handouts have been somewhat challenging to complete due to time constraints. Keep up the hard work!!

Back on the job

I am back working as a Peer Research Consultant after a long winter hiatus. I am very excited to start working with students again!! I think this semester will really take off from last semester's already fruitful beginning!

First couple of students

This past Friday, I had my first two students for PRC!!! I was very excited and I feel that I helped them out with all of their questions and needs. I was very surprised at how these students reacted when they learned about the many tools and options the library offers to students in need of help with research. I hope that more students will be coming in the next few weeks and that the program really takes off!!

SMART training

I attended the latest training session on 10/23/2009 about different learning styles. I was very interested to learn that people are strong in different styles of learning and there are basically 4 types of learning. The 4 types are auditory, visual, read/write, and experiential. Most people were multimodal, meaning they learned well with a combination of the 4 styles, but some people learned better in one way over all the rest. This is important for tutors like me, because we must help people learn the best way they can and help them understand how they best can do something. 
So my first day on the job was pretty slow. In fact no one came at all. That is probably because no one knows we exist yet and hopefully by the start of next week, we will have gone around to enough classes to see at least a start in the number of people coming. Anyways, the first rovering session I was a part of was pretty successful. It seemed that most people understood what they were taught as evidenced by the high scores on the quizzes I saw on some computers. Training has also been going well and we are all well on our way to start our sessions.

My first day on the job...

So, today was my first day on the job because Wed. didn't work out. Anyways, it was pretty quiet today, nobody came in and I sat around for a long time. I hope that after we get the word out, we will get more business, but I'm content with my current situation.

The librarian was very helpful to all the patrons, regardless of the problem they had. She was extremely efficient at her job and made sure all the patrons received enough information so that they could solve their problems. Her body language was positive all the time and she never made her patrons feel uncomfortable or unintelligent. She always made eye contact with the patron and was willing to physically take them to a location if she needed to. The librarian asked questions like what subject the person was inquiring about and what kind of texts he/she needed. I asked about the library reference process and I learned a lot about how they deal with various situations. For example, often, business is slow and most questions are simple ones like, where is the bathroom? and where is so and so... The librarian was a good listener because she made eye contact with the patron when spoken to and never interrupted the student when he or she was speaking. It was always usually the patron who ended the conversation. 

The training so far...

So us PRCs have been through several training sessions now and I must say that we have learned a lot from our training. I think we will be well prepared to help out students when we are allowed to work on our own. Unravels has been drilled into our heads and we are getting the word out about our program and we hope when we start our shifts in the library, we will get good business from students who need help!!
I went to the workshop called working collaboratively on the web on Tuesday the 29th of September and I really found it quite interesting. There are a lot of great tools that you can use for FREE!! to work with other people on some project or paper.... I suggest you ask a librarian for a list of these great resources.

Unravels is good for you!!

If you are taking any course that requires any type of research, I highly encourage you to take Unravels. It is a great seminar which helps to teach you how to find articles. Now I know finding articles for research papers is sometimes boring and painful, but if you take the seminar, I can promise that you will pick up tips that will not only lessen your pain, but make the process go so much faster!! In addition, you don't have to sacrifice quality for quantity.