Is research necessary?

I think we've all seen studies that are not necessary; studies that basic assumption or logic can define the outcome; not research. Communication research is a systematic process of posing questions about human communication, answering those questions, and then persuading others that your results are valid. With this in mind it is important that the research we conduct not only is done in the right manor and for the right reasons, but also that it is necessary to be done. There are cases were research might - simply - be a terrible idea to even attempt; it can be meaningless, irrelevant, and frankly a waist of time. The headline below - I believe - highlights this point we talked about in class the first day. We have to weight the positives and negatives, the strengths and weaknesses before any research is conducted.

Screen Shot 2012-12-03 at 9.12.35 PM.png

Random Sample

Population and Random .gif

An article that I chose to focus this blog post on dealt with the issue of medicare and its testing. "We examined repetitive testing for six commonly performed diagnostic tests in which repeat testing is not routinely anticipated," the study authors wrote. "Although we expected a certain fraction of examinations to be repeated, we were struck by the magnitude."

The study, published in the Archives of Internal Medicine, found among Medicare beneficiaries undergoing echocardiography, or examination of the heart, 55 percent had a second test within three years.

Other repeat testing showed:

• 44 percent of imaging stress tests were repeated within three years,
  • 49 percent of pulmonary function tests,
  • 46 percent of chest computed tomography
  • 41 percent of cystoscopies, an examination of the bladder
  • 35 percent of upper endoscopies, examination of the digestive tract, the study said.

This was an interesting article because it not only highlighted the process of research but it also deals with a political and culturally relevant issue of medicare. I really appreciated the article being more about the statistics and research; not a political agenda.

Real world solutions: Futureal

Link: http://www.futureal.net/

Futureal is a company that I came across many years ago. They "use quantitative and qualitative research, logic and creativity to hep (sic) their clients build strategy for an uncertain future."

Screen Shot 2012-12-03 at 8.25.00 PM.png

In a recent article (http://bit.ly/QDdrDq), the founder of Futureal Tamar Kasriel was listed as one of the worlds most influential futurists. When asked about what makes her company different from their competitors, Tamar had this to say.

"I think the way we approach questions is quite unique. The answers to questions about the future won't come just from one place - we can't just rely on, say, primary research. If we use it at all, we need to combine it with what we can glean from academia, what's going on within the industry, find parallels in other sectors, and create a workable model for putting it all together. We're also finding that despite all the hype, social media is largely an untapped resource in terms of understanding shifts in consumer attitudes, and we find ourselves increasingly drawn to create our own innovative social media analytics."

This article focuses on multiple aspects of research that we touched on this semester. Concepts of qualitative and quantitative, but also the idea about what questions we are asking, and the strategy behind them. This is one of the first examples where I have clearly seen a direct relationship between class and the real world.

Mean, Median, Mode - Comic

Blog copy.png

In our course we discussed Mean (the average set of scores), Median (the midpoint of a set of scores), and Mode (The most frequent score in a set of scores). I think this cartoon does a fairly accurate job of explaining them! :)

Divergent Validity

Screen Shot 2012-12-03 at 7.54.04 PM.png

Link: http://bit.ly/RxKmuH

Divergent Validity is demonstrated when a measure of a construct or concept is shown to be unrelated to measures of unrelated concepts. In the article associated to the link above, Divergent Validity is represented through the GAD-7 brief screening instrument.

"The GAD-7 brief screening instrument was developed to optimize accuracy and divergent validity, Kroenke told attendees. It can help detect generalized anxiety disorder, social anxiety disorder, posttraumatic stress disorder, and panic. Probably as good as any other general anxiety screener out there, Kroenke said the GAD-7 is better when used for screening than for monitoring treatment."

This article really meant a lot to me because I think research is so often associated with more of a dull connotation, but in reality, research is and has real life changing and life altering applications. It's cool to see research in action.

Focus Groups

Screen Shot 2012-12-03 at 7.29.05 PM.png

Link: http://bit.ly/YsMvuT

I have always thought that focus groups provide some of the most logical, balanced, and relevant research through a simple, effective, and congruent method. A focus group is a small group of people brought together to discuss a topic of interest to the researcher. In the article linked to above, focus groups are represented and used to discover and anywise possible superintendents for the school. The key piece to a successful focus group is the importance of a diverse selection of individuals. For example: in the case of this school, having focus groups representing parents, teachers, and governmental employees would give more strength to the discovery found within each group.

Keywords

One of the most important research tools for SEO and Web Analytics is finding the correct key words for your site and content. As Brick Marketing states, "A keyword phrase is generally two or more words that are used by advertisers in search engine optimization, or by visitors who are using search engines in a desire to find information based on that particular phrase." With the appropriate research and understanding of the importance of keywords, you can improve your web presence and drive even more traffic to your site.

Key Words .jpg

One important thing to understand is that each page in your website should target different keywords. If each page has the same title or keyword phrases then Google and other search engines will devalue them. If you have multiple products it is extremely beneficial to give each product its own page. This will increase your ranking for each product significantly.

With some research and a little bit of work, you'll have your website pulling in waves of new traffic.

Research Tool: Mixpanel

Screen Shot 2012-12-03 at 6.14.51 PM.png

Link: mixpanel.com

There are many tools to analyze your web traffic, but one that I have used in the past is Mixpanel. One really cool thing that Mixpanel analyzes is called funnel analysis. Funnel analysis looks into the users on your website and how they "funnel" through the website going from homepage to purchase conversion. These statistics can help users better understand the function of their site and ares in which they lose/gain buyers. From a marketing perspective this kind of data is extremely important to understand and evaluate.

Blog 2.png

The importance of a Conductor

Conductor .jpg

Link: http://n.pr/ToQ1Pu

A question that at some point we have all - most likely - pondered is whether or not conductors are really necessary to lead orchestras. Well, a new study from the University of Maryland aims to answer that question. Below is an interesting quote about the findings of this study.

This was an extremely interesting study because of the hypothesis - which stated, "if the movement of the conductor could predict the movements of the violinists, then the conductor was clearly leading the players. But if the conductor's movements could not predict the movement of the violinists, then it was really the players who were in charge."

What the scientists found was that "the more the influence of the conductor to the players, the more aesthetic -- aesthetically pleasing the music was overall." Because of this answer, it seems to me that the validity of the study may be in question due to the fact that the outcome has little to do with the hypothesis. This - most definitely - made me question the study.

Poor Research Example

Link: http://bit.ly/YG11OH

Here's an example of a poor research method:

I picked up my phone.

Hello. My name is Jane. I would like to introduce you our new product and then I'd like to ask about your opinion. Did you know what are the health benefits of cod-liver oil for your organism? With only two tablets daily you can...

There was no way for the lady on the other side for being younger than sixty-five years. And she was obviously nervous.

I'm sorry. I'm not interested.

Won't you let me finish my reading? You know, they are recording this and if I don't finish my reading they can fire me...

Now, this market research has multiple ethical implications. First of all, the issue of trying to guilt the consumer into participating breaks the principles and applications of The Belmont Report. As our class book states, "subjects must be given the opportunity to choose what shall or shall not happen to them" and "The consent process should include three elements: information, comprehension, and voluntariness." This example above does not follow these principles because the subject is - in a sense - guilted into participating.

The second issue that I can see within this market research attempt is from an internal, company perspective. If the company attempting to seek this market research truly is forcing the lady assessing the survey into a position where she feels she needs to use guilt to succeed, the ethical preparation of the company needs some analyzing. Ethics is - sometimes - a hard thing to calculate being that it has to be -somewhat - contextual. However, in this example above, this survey, sale, or whatever you want to call it, flirts with the research ethics.