Kevin Garnett is Gone

Minnesota's hometown sports hero, Kevin Garnett, is officially gone. The Minnesota Timberwolves traded him to the the Boston Celtics for 5 starting players and 2 first round draft picks in the future. The trade comes months before the new season was to start. Initially Timberwolves owner Glen Taylor denied talks of trade and repeatedly said that Kevin Garnett was not on the block. But that was not the case as Kevin was seen holding the Celtic's jersey up in the air. at a press conference. I think the local coverage was much better than any other coverage. ESPN covered the story as if it quickly as regular news. Local news agencies such as the Stat Tribune whom took more of an in depth role. They made a time line of his success, calling it the end of an era and also broke down the trade transactions monetarily in order to see exactly what was done within the trade and who got what. Considering how important he was to Minnesota sports, and Minnesota, this is a very relevant story.

35W Bridge

On August 1st 2007, the 35W bridge collapsed during the peak of rush hour. It was about 6:01 pm when the bridge began to shake severely and ultimately, cave. 62 people were injured and 7 people died. Many stories arose from the incident, but perhaps the most severe was a school bus of 60 children were caught on the bridge while on their way back from a field trip. Some of the children were hurt, none of the children died. Many civilians helped each other out as they tried to make their way off of the bridge. Emergency personnel were called from all areas of the metro. 20 to 30 people are still considered missing or their families have not heard from them. I think the coverage of this story has been quite extensive. when I check out twincities.com They have step by step information of what happened including live footage of the bridge falling down. The coverage was up to date and informative. I compared it to the coverage of the Star Tribune Which was just as informative. If there was any criticism, I would say the numbers were alway changing. One minute the number of dead was 9, then it changed to 7, now 4, I think it is very important to keep the numbers correct for those people that need to know.

Overweight Children face a Stigma

Overweight children are stigmatized by their peers. As early as 3 years old, giving them the quality of life of those suffering from cancer according to an analysis as seen in USA Today Children dealing with obesity reported that they were subjected to teasing, bullying, rejection and other types of abuse. Obese children are also very likely to have suicidal thoughts, high blood pressure and eating disorders. researchers with Yale University and the University of Hawaii at Manatoa wrote in the July issue of Psychological Bulletin. Researchers with Yale University and the University of Hawaii at Manatoa wrote in the July issue of Psychological Bulletin. In this study, researches found that almost %50 of children in North America and %38 of children in the European Union will be overweight by 2010. I thought that this story was very sobering. I think the coverage of this topic is very important because obesity is a very big problem in the United States so I thought the topic definitely would get the attention of people with or without children. In an article like this one when there is a chance to talk about medical terminology, I think the article was very easy to understand. But one thing I have criticism about is the coverage. I think that they could have gotten more perspectives from the people that are said to cause these obese children grief. I think it's important to find out from them to get a well rounded view of the subject to find out why they treat others that way.

Immigrants

The US senate blocked plans to legalize illiegal immgrants. This new bill was backed by President Bush. The bill needed 60 votes to go through, however they were short by just 14 votes. The total votes were 43 to 56. The issue of illegal immigrants has been an festering for quite some time. With this bill failing to go through, it postpones any action on illegal immigration until after the next election or until 2009. Conservative republicans consider this to be a vicotory. If the bill would have passed the senate, it would hve allowed 12 million illegal immigrants to have status in the United States. The Star Tribune has reported on this story. This story was also coverd by USA Today. The difference in the coverage is that USA Today went into more details abouth how the vote went about. The get more into depth about what was happening during the voting process. It also got more quotes from lawmakers about how the vote will negatively or positively affect the American People. For example one quote from Homeland Security Secretary Michael Chertoff said his department will continue raids on employers suspected of hiring illegal immigrants. "You will continue to see heart-wrenching examples of families being pulled apart," he said. "In order to regain credibility with the American people, we're going to have to be tough."

I think that USA Today did a great job of getting a well rounded and information filled story. They got all the facts and quotes that captured the feeling of not passing the bill and how postponing any action affects both si

Security Breach Story & Unexplained Acronims

Dear fellow journalists, I know that covering anything scientific can be a hard task, but your readers still have to know what you are talking about. The Pioneer Press did a story on a security breech in New Mexico. (Los Alamos National Labratory). In this story however they used LANS, LLC. and NNS. If you are interested in this kind of story, maybe you should know what they mean but I don't . You cannot have a story and not explain meaning. I think that is dumb. Meaning is important and readers should understand the stories written no matter what you are writing about. Aside from that there event thought the content of a story is drab you still have to make an effort to keep it interesting. Thank You.

Dear fellow journalists, I know that covering anything scientific can be a hard task, but your readers still have to know what you are talking about. The Pioneer Press did a story on a security breech in New Mexico. (Los Alamos National Labratory). In this story however they used LANS, LLC. and NNS. If you are interested in this kind of story, maybe you should know what they mean but I don't . You cannot have a story and not explain meaning. I think that is dumb. Meaning is important and readers should understand the stories written no matter what you are writing about. Thank You.

Fatal Shooting Brings up Growing Issue

The Star Tribune has been actively following the fatal shooting of Charez Jones whom at 14-years-old was shot and killed as an unintended target of a gang shooting. I think the coverage of this story has been pretty good, yet there are some things that could be changed. The story never gives you a time or an estimated time of when the shooting happened. Even though this is a follow up story, there still might be people who have not heard what happened and it adds context. The second thing that could be improved is the number of qutotes that are in the story which are very scarce. In an emotionally charged story like this, the quotes add the story. Even if it's a family member or close friend. I think the quotes show how they are coping with the situation.
This story also brings to light a greater important issue which is the growing number of homicides in Minneapolis. I think that if you are going to add this into the story, there has to be more on this. LIke I metioned earlier, a quote helps. They could have talked to a city official whether it is a sheriff or council person that can comment on the number of homicides that have reached 25 since March and what they are doing to combat this growing trend. Or they could've asked residents how they feel. Overall, the story was good, but the coverage could be improved.