« Immigrants | Main | 35W Bridge »

Overweight Children face a Stigma

Overweight children are stigmatized by their peers. As early as 3 years old, giving them the quality of life of those suffering from cancer according to an analysis as seen in USA Today Children dealing with obesity reported that they were subjected to teasing, bullying, rejection and other types of abuse. Obese children are also very likely to have suicidal thoughts, high blood pressure and eating disorders. researchers with Yale University and the University of Hawaii at Manatoa wrote in the July issue of Psychological Bulletin. Researchers with Yale University and the University of Hawaii at Manatoa wrote in the July issue of Psychological Bulletin. In this study, researches found that almost %50 of children in North America and %38 of children in the European Union will be overweight by 2010. I thought that this story was very sobering. I think the coverage of this topic is very important because obesity is a very big problem in the United States so I thought the topic definitely would get the attention of people with or without children. In an article like this one when there is a chance to talk about medical terminology, I think the article was very easy to understand. But one thing I have criticism about is the coverage. I think that they could have gotten more perspectives from the people that are said to cause these obese children grief. I think it's important to find out from them to get a well rounded view of the subject to find out why they treat others that way.