Kevin Garnett is Gone

Minnesota's hometown sports hero, Kevin Garnett, is officially gone. The Minnesota Timberwolves traded him to the the Boston Celtics for 5 starting players and 2 first round draft picks in the future. The trade comes months before the new season was to start. Initially Timberwolves owner Glen Taylor denied talks of trade and repeatedly said that Kevin Garnett was not on the block. But that was not the case as Kevin was seen holding the Celtic's jersey up in the air. at a press conference. I think the local coverage was much better than any other coverage. ESPN covered the story as if it quickly as regular news. Local news agencies such as the Stat Tribune whom took more of an in depth role. They made a time line of his success, calling it the end of an era and also broke down the trade transactions monetarily in order to see exactly what was done within the trade and who got what. Considering how important he was to Minnesota sports, and Minnesota, this is a very relevant story.

Fatal Shooting Brings up Growing Issue

The Star Tribune has been actively following the fatal shooting of Charez Jones whom at 14-years-old was shot and killed as an unintended target of a gang shooting. I think the coverage of this story has been pretty good, yet there are some things that could be changed. The story never gives you a time or an estimated time of when the shooting happened. Even though this is a follow up story, there still might be people who have not heard what happened and it adds context. The second thing that could be improved is the number of qutotes that are in the story which are very scarce. In an emotionally charged story like this, the quotes add the story. Even if it's a family member or close friend. I think the quotes show how they are coping with the situation.
This story also brings to light a greater important issue which is the growing number of homicides in Minneapolis. I think that if you are going to add this into the story, there has to be more on this. LIke I metioned earlier, a quote helps. They could have talked to a city official whether it is a sheriff or council person that can comment on the number of homicides that have reached 25 since March and what they are doing to combat this growing trend. Or they could've asked residents how they feel. Overall, the story was good, but the coverage could be improved.