Overweight Children face a Stigma

Overweight children are stigmatized by their peers. As early as 3 years old, giving them the quality of life of those suffering from cancer according to an analysis as seen in USA Today Children dealing with obesity reported that they were subjected to teasing, bullying, rejection and other types of abuse. Obese children are also very likely to have suicidal thoughts, high blood pressure and eating disorders. researchers with Yale University and the University of Hawaii at Manatoa wrote in the July issue of Psychological Bulletin. Researchers with Yale University and the University of Hawaii at Manatoa wrote in the July issue of Psychological Bulletin. In this study, researches found that almost %50 of children in North America and %38 of children in the European Union will be overweight by 2010. I thought that this story was very sobering. I think the coverage of this topic is very important because obesity is a very big problem in the United States so I thought the topic definitely would get the attention of people with or without children. In an article like this one when there is a chance to talk about medical terminology, I think the article was very easy to understand. But one thing I have criticism about is the coverage. I think that they could have gotten more perspectives from the people that are said to cause these obese children grief. I think it's important to find out from them to get a well rounded view of the subject to find out why they treat others that way.

Immigrants

The US senate blocked plans to legalize illiegal immgrants. This new bill was backed by President Bush. The bill needed 60 votes to go through, however they were short by just 14 votes. The total votes were 43 to 56. The issue of illegal immigrants has been an festering for quite some time. With this bill failing to go through, it postpones any action on illegal immigration until after the next election or until 2009. Conservative republicans consider this to be a vicotory. If the bill would have passed the senate, it would hve allowed 12 million illegal immigrants to have status in the United States. The Star Tribune has reported on this story. This story was also coverd by USA Today. The difference in the coverage is that USA Today went into more details abouth how the vote went about. The get more into depth about what was happening during the voting process. It also got more quotes from lawmakers about how the vote will negatively or positively affect the American People. For example one quote from Homeland Security Secretary Michael Chertoff said his department will continue raids on employers suspected of hiring illegal immigrants. "You will continue to see heart-wrenching examples of families being pulled apart," he said. "In order to regain credibility with the American people, we're going to have to be tough."

I think that USA Today did a great job of getting a well rounded and information filled story. They got all the facts and quotes that captured the feeling of not passing the bill and how postponing any action affects both si

Security Breach Story & Unexplained Acronims

Dear fellow journalists, I know that covering anything scientific can be a hard task, but your readers still have to know what you are talking about. The Pioneer Press did a story on a security breech in New Mexico. (Los Alamos National Labratory). In this story however they used LANS, LLC. and NNS. If you are interested in this kind of story, maybe you should know what they mean but I don't . You cannot have a story and not explain meaning. I think that is dumb. Meaning is important and readers should understand the stories written no matter what you are writing about. Thank You.

Dear fellow journalists, I know that covering anything scientific can be a hard task, but your readers still have to know what you are talking about. The Pioneer Press did a story on a security breech in New Mexico. (Los Alamos National Labratory). In this story however they used LANS, LLC. and NNS. If you are interested in this kind of story, maybe you should know what they mean but I don't . You cannot have a story and not explain meaning. I think that is dumb. Meaning is important and readers should understand the stories written no matter what you are writing about. Aside from that there event thought the content of a story is drab you still have to make an effort to keep it interesting. Thank You.