« It's Puzzle Week! And Starting Off is Sudoku! | Main | Puzzle Week, Day 3: Tangrams »

Puzzle Week, Day 2: Jigsaw Puzzles

IMG_5460.JPG

The Spanish word for jigsaw puzzles is "rompecabezas". This literally means "head breaker". And it is no wonder why they got that name. Although many of use grew up with jigsaw puzzles, most of these had a lot less than 100 pieces. But when tackling a real jigsaw puzzle (one with 1,000 pieces or more), that's when you really start to feel your head about to brake. Of course, for serious jigsaw puzzle fans, 1,000 pieces is a walk in the park. The largest jigsaw puzzle has about 24,000 pieces. I actually saw it at a game store and I think I could fit in its box!

Jigsaw puzzles are a great way to work on your pattern recognition skills. You develop the ability to better recognize edges, color contrasts, and shapes. I recently started solving jigsaw puzzles and have already completed two 1000-piece jigsaw puzzles, the second one together with my wife (yes, jigsaw puzzles are very fun for building with friends!). If you think jigsaw puzzles are lame and 24,000 pieces are not enough for you, you can always try a colorless jigsaw puzzle. Go for it!

You could put a picture of the finished version of the above jigsaw puzzle.

Neat! Jaime and I recently started our first jigsaw puzzle. It's one of grandma's old puzzles (a not so easy 1,500 piece puzzle).

"Head breaker". That's a brilliant description for a jigsaw puzzle. I had a look through your "puzzle" series of posts and it looks like a good resource. I've just started my own blog about childrens puzzles. I've added your blog to my google reader.