« 7 Things I Have Learned As a Grad Student: Day 1 | Main | 7 Things I Have Learned As a Grad Student: Day 3 »

7 Things I Have Learned As a Grad Student: Day 2

Yesterday I talked about how I learned during this last year how much I don't know yet. Today's topic is:

Being on the teaching side

This year I learned what it feels like to teach. I graded, held office hours, was in charge of a lab, and even gave three lectures. It's definitely a different feeling than being a student. It makes you appreciate more what professors and teaching assistants do.

Grading can be especially tiresome. And trying to keep everyone's attention while giving the lecture is a physical impossibility. But when one student writes in the class evaluation that the TA was probably the best he/she ever had, it makes it all worth it.

I may not become a professor after I graduate, but I don't rule out teaching completely. And the group management and oratory skills acquired during this experience (and during the TA I will be doing this next year) will definitely help me in the future. So, being a TA has been one of the best new learning experiences I've had this last year.