« Moment of Silence | Main | Just One More »

My Verdict on Twitter

It has been almost 11 months since I started my Twitter account. I have more than 270 tweets, but I have only posted five times in 2009. So why this decrease after a fairly decent start?

I still believe Twitter is a really cool web app, but at this stage in my career, I have decided it just isn't for me. I have instead focused on Facebook status updates. I think the main factor that motivated me was the greater number of responses I get from Facebook status updates. With tweets, I felt as if they would just go unnoticed and unread. They felt like a waste of time. My Facebook updates, on the other hand, get replies very often. And with the addition of "likes", I get even more feedback from others. Replies are also way easier to follow as Facebook provides some support for threaded conversations while Twitter does not.

Facebook status updates have, of course, some obvious drawbacks. The main one is that they are limited only to my set of friends. My Twitter messages could be read by anyone in the world. So there is a lot more opportunity for networking there. Still, that is what I have this blog for. I can communicate with the rest of the world through here. For smaller, more everyday thoughts, Facebook is just perfect.

I am not giving up on Twitter just yet, but the slow posting rate will remain until a gust of motivation comes my way. I would like to hear from others who have tried one or both systems. What are your thoughts?

You make a great point about Facebook's "like" feature and threaded comments.

Maybe the Twitter v FB debate doesn't need to be either/or, have you tried using Twitter's Facebook app or one of the many publishing services that let you post status updates across multiple social networks?

I actually did try mixing them both, but it didn't work out very well. Sometimes I would end up having redundant messages appear while other times there were Twitter messages that I did not want to publish to Facebook.

I do agree that this doesn't have to be either/or. Each service has their uses and advantages and I simply decided that Twitter is not what I need right now, but I definitely see myself using it regularly again in the future.

I still think your insistence on segregating facebook status messages from twitter was the death knell of your long-term twitter usage.

You say you don't want all of your tweets going on your facebook. Why? After all, tweets are already public.

it's understandable that you wouldn't want your facebook messages going to twitter. Thankfully, I don't think any of the tie-ins push facebook messages to twitter [and if they do, it can certainly be disabled].

Ah well, to each his own.

To tell the truth, I don't really care. I have neither facebook or twitter. But i never really what twitter was anyway, and i have no interest in social networking sites. This blog is the exception.

This is sad to me. Partly because I loathe Facebook and don't want to see it getting any of Twitter's market share. Partly because I'm on twitter, but not FB, and therefore can't read status.

I think Twitter meets a useful niche. Its crystal-clear focus on "what are you doing?" enables it to replicate and enhance a useful feature from Facebook-like systems, without the false facade of privacy and limited distribution of the Facebook. Granted, you don't get a lot of feedback and it feels like shouting into a noisy void, but you can get some cred in the form of replies and retweets (the latter can be found easily by searching for your SN with the Twitter search feature -- I was surprised yesterday to find I've been retweeted twice).

Yeah Go facebook!! (I don't tweet)... interesting to see that according to Nando this is sort of a "social networking site", I like that!

Well, most of your friends are probably on Faceblag, not Twitter - so you would obviously get more replies on FB.

I am more FB too (you can send private messages, write on walls, comment on pictures - more ways to communicate.)
But many of my school friends are on Twitter, so I can understand the appeal. Also, following some celebrities is highly amusing (follow iamdiddy for a while and you'll see what I mean - "let's go!")

I think Twitter is a platform that will eventually be best on smart phones (the iPhone application is a dream.) Mass texting

Also, Nando you suck for not being on Faceblag.