Week #11

Blog # 11 (04/05/11)

Last weeks definition:

Leadership is an innate quality which everyone posses but only a few bring to its fullest potential. It is a value based quality in which people are able to utilize their personal strengths in order to pull forth something from another person. They hold the ability to both see the larger picture as well as the smaller picture in a situation. Having leadership means you are able to effectively communicate with others despite differences in values, communication style, and goals due to a difference in their culture. It is the ability to both recognize as well as overcome these barriers to produce change. Leadership also means respecting those who you lead, and making sure to utilize them as a resource as well as listening to suggestions and advice as you lead.

This weeks definition:

Leadership is an innate quality which everyone posses but only a few bring to its fullest potential. It is a value based quality in which people are able to utilize their personal strengths in order to pull forth something from another person. They have the ability simultaneously see the larger and smaller picture in task. A leader is able to o effectively communicate with others despite differences in values, communication style, and goals due to a difference in culture. It is the ability to both recognize as well as overcome these barriers to work as a team to produce change.

Analysis:

This week I really got the chance to work with my team on our leadership project. I feel that we are all leaders, despite the fact that none of us are the sole drivers of the project. We are working as a team, past cultural differences and values, in order to accomplish this task. This as well as the videos we watched today have inspired the slight change in my definition. Although the reading was very interesting (I am a huge fan of Gladwell and own several of his books), I did not apply the theory of thinking without thinking to my definition. However, I do believe that it is important for leaders to recognize that subconscious motivations and knowledge can effect how they lead and what they perceive, and act on.

Citation:
Project.

Week #10

This is a private entry. Please sign in

Week #9

Blog #9 (3/22/12)

Last weeks definition:

Leadership is an innate quality which everyone posses but only a few bring to its fullest potential. It is a value based quality in which people are able to utilize their personal strengths in order to pull forth something from another person. They hold the ability to both see the larger picture as well as the smaller picture in a situation. Having leadership means you are able to effectively communicate with others despite differences in values, communication style, and goals. It is the ability to both recognize as well as overcome these barriers to produce change.

This weeks definition:

Leadership is an innate quality which everyone posses but only a few bring to its fullest potential. It is a value based quality in which people are able to utilize their personal strengths in order to pull forth something from another person. They hold the ability to both see the larger picture as well as the smaller picture in a situation. Having leadership means you are able to effectively communicate with others despite differences in values, communication style, and goals. It is the ability to both recognize as well as overcome these barriers to produce change. A leader is also one who is able to recognize the importance of their culture and how it effects their leadership. They understand that culture effects the way in which everyone behaves and learns to navigate through cultural barriers.

Analysis:

My definition was basically the same except in the end I added a bit about culture and how culture affects everyone. I think that it is important for a leader to recognize this, and find ways in which to work with and navigate through cultural barriers. It is also important for anyone to realize how their culture has personally shaped them. Each person is a unique compilation of their various cultures. To understand why someone is the way they are, one is better able to communicate and lead them. If I did not take the time to understand the person I was leading, I probably wouldn't know the right way to lead them and end up failing. In class we played a card game in which different rules were used representing a different culture. This is so similar to our everyday lives in which cultural norms are drastically different across borders and office cubicles.

Citation:
Cultural detectives packet and class activity

Week 8: March 8 Change

Blog #8 (3/8/12)

Last weeks definition:

Leadership is a value based, innate quality found in everyone, but is only brought to its fullest in a few. Those few have the ability to utilize personal strengths in order to pull forth something from another person. They are able to simultaneously be connected and apart from the situation. Leadership is the ability to effectively communicate with another person despite differences in values, communication styles, and goals.

This weeks definition:

Analysis:

My definition was altered slightly based on this weeks class discussion on barriers to working in groups. In class we discussed several barriers, or obstacles a group may face and then discussed why these challenges arise. Differences in values, goals, communication style, work ethic, ect. Were all discussed. This activity made me realize that these barriers are always going to be there, but the difference between fighting through a project and overcoming is found in effective identification, communication, and leadership from the start. Ways we can overcome these are by establishing form the start that that these barriers exist, and then discussing how we can overcome them. From the reading I learned about change, and how deeply rooted, unconscious thoughts can be a problem when it comes to change. I read about how in order to change, one must identify the true cause of the problem, and work hard and intentionally to change it. As a leader, it is important to know when and how to go about change in a group. Simply telling people they need to change is not effective, and as a leader one must be able to recognize this.

Citation:

Kegan, R.,&Lahey,L.L.(2001).The Real reason people won't change. Harvard Business Review, 79(10),85--‐92.Retrieved from http://search.ebscohost.com/login.aspx?direct=true&db=keh&AN=18217059&site=ehost--‐live

Week 7: March 1 Leadership Took Kit

Blog #7 (3/1/12)

Last weeks definition:

Leadership is an innate quality that anyone can possess but only some bring to its fullest potential. It is the ability to utilize ones personal strengths in order to pull forth something from another person while being both apart from the situation and connected to the situation. It is not necessarily leading an entire group, but can be working with a group in harmony to accomplish something. Leadership is value based.

This weeks definition:

Analysis:

My definition was altered slightly based on this weeks reading on the circus act and its metaphor for communication. The reading was interesting in the fact that it took such a complex idea like communication and created a metaphor for it. The reading also reminded me of the importance of effective communication as a leader. If a leader cannot communicate, then how will they lead? Its important to see that there are always barriers to communication, and that as a leader one will have to learn to overcome many of these barriers. Differences in values, communication style, location, goals, ect. Are all barriers to communication, which can lead to confusion and misinterpretations. As a leader it is important to navigate these issues and at the minimum recognize they exist. A really good leader, in my mind, is able to both recognize and overcome many of these barriers.

Citation:

Saphiere, D.H.,Mikk,B.K.,&Devries,B.I.(2005).Factors affecting communication style: Starring acts in the circus. Communication highwire (pp.47-82). Boston: Intercultural Press

Blog #6 (2/23)

Last weeks definition:

Leadership is an innate quality that anyone can possess but only some bring to its fullest potential. It is the ability to utilize ones personal strengths in order to pull forth something from another person.

This weeks definition:

Analysis:

The reading about the 7 C's and relating leadership to a group of musicians impacted my definition slightly. The reading was kind of long and uninspiring but in class the discussion of the 7 C's really made sense to me. When leading, there are several aspects you need to pay attention to, those being the 7 C's. With change being at the hub, there are three value sets and 7 overall values that as a leader one must consider when making any decision. First is consciousness of self, or personal values that motivate you to take action. The other two are congruence and consistency. Next one must look at group values to see if there is commitment and collaboration. Finally, you must look at societies values. Overall the portion about values playing a role in leadership is what influenced my definition.

Citation:

Astin, H.S., & Astin, A. W. (1996).A social change model of leadership development: Guidebook (version III) (pp. 4 --‐27). Los Angeles: University of California Los Angeles Higher Education Research Institute.

Week 5: February 16. Leadership Journey Presentations

Last weeks definition:

Leadership is an innate quality that anyone can posses but only some bring to its fullest potential. Leadership is the ability of a person to utilize their personal strengths to better carry out a variety of qualities and leadership styles in order to influence and inspire a group in a common task. They are ethical people with the ability to see beyond the moment in their leadership and look at the larger picture.

This weeks definition:

Analysis:

This weeks reading about the biological aspects of leadership did not influence my definition, although I think that it is important to lead with empathy. I felt that my definition needed to be shortened and simplified a little. I took out the ethical portion because although I feel that good leaders should be ethical, they aren't always that way.

Citation:

I did not utilize the readings from class to further define the definition.

Week 4: February 9. Leadership Journey Presentations

Last weeks definition:

Leadership is the ability of a person to utilize their personal strengths to better utilize a variety of qualities and leadership styles in order to influence and inspire a group in a common task. They are ethical people with the ability to see beyond the moment in their leadership and look at the larger picture.

This weeks definition:

Analysis:

My definition of leadership did not change very much from the week prior. I think the main reason for this is that the reading this week didn't inspire me as much as those readings from weeks prior. What really caused my change was listening to the leadership presentations in class yesterday and hearing what other people thought leadership was.

Citation:

Week 1: January 19

My definition of leadership is the act in which any individual who stands out amongst a group is able to socially influence the group in a common task or work ethic in order to accomplish something or inspire a change in that group. They posses qualities that enable them to inspire and motivate others; leaders better, not worsen the group they lead.

Week 3: February 2nd. Strengths, Group Formation

Last weeks definition:

Leadership is the ability of a person to use a variety of qualities and leadership styles in order to influence and inspire a group in a common task. They are ethical people who use these styles to better the group. Additionally, leadership is the ability to not only live in the moment as leaders, but to see the larger picture.

This weeks definition:

Analysis:

My definition changed as I read more about the importance of strengths. I learned that everyone has strengths, and it is through these strengths that a person is able to grow and develop into the fullest potential of themselves. In a leader, it is important to have developed these strengths in order to know how to best lead. I also feel that it is important to know that everyone has strengths, but not everyone has the same top strengths. Knowing what your top strengths are is very important in how to team build. Being able to recognize them and work with them is an important thing for a leader to do.

Citation:

Clifton,D.O.,Anderson,E.,& Schreiner, L.vA. (2006). StrengthsQuest: Discover and develop your strengths in academics, career, and beyond. (pp. 1 - 11) New York: Gallup Press.