Week #11

Blog # 11 (04/05/11)

Last weeks definition:

Leadership is an innate quality which everyone posses but only a few bring to its fullest potential. It is a value based quality in which people are able to utilize their personal strengths in order to pull forth something from another person. They hold the ability to both see the larger picture as well as the smaller picture in a situation. Having leadership means you are able to effectively communicate with others despite differences in values, communication style, and goals due to a difference in their culture. It is the ability to both recognize as well as overcome these barriers to produce change. Leadership also means respecting those who you lead, and making sure to utilize them as a resource as well as listening to suggestions and advice as you lead.

This weeks definition:

Leadership is an innate quality which everyone posses but only a few bring to its fullest potential. It is a value based quality in which people are able to utilize their personal strengths in order to pull forth something from another person. They have the ability simultaneously see the larger and smaller picture in task. A leader is able to o effectively communicate with others despite differences in values, communication style, and goals due to a difference in culture. It is the ability to both recognize as well as overcome these barriers to work as a team to produce change.

Analysis:

This week I really got the chance to work with my team on our leadership project. I feel that we are all leaders, despite the fact that none of us are the sole drivers of the project. We are working as a team, past cultural differences and values, in order to accomplish this task. This as well as the videos we watched today have inspired the slight change in my definition. Although the reading was very interesting (I am a huge fan of Gladwell and own several of his books), I did not apply the theory of thinking without thinking to my definition. However, I do believe that it is important for leaders to recognize that subconscious motivations and knowledge can effect how they lead and what they perceive, and act on.

Citation:
Project.