Gold University of Minnesota M. Skip to main content. Link to University of Minnesota homepage
What's Inside

Subscribe

Subscribe with Atom
Subscribe with RSS 2.0
[What is this?]

View all

Recent Posts
This weblog is licensed under a Creative Commons License.

Powered by Movable Type.

Minnesota Gene Pool Blog

« Family health history in health promotion for children with special heath needs | Main | ACOG calls for screening all pregnancies for Down Syndrome »

Big Tobacco's anti-smoking ads may cause kids to smoke

This is not about genomics or family history directly, but I found this report so fascinatingly disturbing that I wanted to put it out there in this forum. If any of you have any insight into this, please comment. I found it to be amazing.

Link to PubMed abstract: Effect of televised, tobacco company-funded smoking prevention advertising on youth smoking-related beliefs, intentions, and behavior. Wakefield M, Terry-McElrath Y, Emery S, Saffer H, Chaloupka FJ, Szczypka G, Flay B, O'Malley PM, Johnston LD. Am J Public Health. 2006 Dec;96(12):2154-60. Epub 2006 Oct 31

Excerpt from the Press release from Oregon State University:

More than 100,000 students from all areas of the country in 8th, 10th and 12th grades were surveyed to assess the relationship between exposure to tobacco company prevention advertising and youth smoking-related beliefs, intentions and behaviors. Researchers linked these data with Nielsen Media Research data on the exposure of youth to smoking-related ads that appeared on network and cable stations in the 75 largest United States media markets from 1999 to 2002.

Some of the findings include:

1. Each additional youth-targeted prevention ad viewed by a student resulted in a 3 percent stronger intention among all students to smoke in the future.
2. There was a 12 percent increase in the likelihood that 10th- and 12th-grade students would become smokers if they watched prevention ads targeted at their parents.
3. On average, the students were exposed to more than four youth-targeted ads per month.

Posted by Kristin Oehlke on December 20, 2006 3:30 PM |

Very good start to this important area!

Posted by: John Finnegan | December 21, 2006 5:17 PM

Guys Guys Guys... People that want to smoke are going to smoke. That's all there is to it. Prohibition didn't work and neither will banning smoking or trying to prevent it. It's not working and they've been trying to prevent it for YEARS. It's such a waste of time and money. People KNOW it's bad for you. That's the only burden I think the manufacturer needs to carry. Make sure they inform the users it's bad for you. Other than that, it's your choice if you want to smoke.

Posted by: Tobacco & Cigars | October 11, 2007 6:38 PM

Its a shocking point but it does kind of make sense to me. i don't smoke anymore but i do remember times when my parents had brought up the subject of what smoking was doing to me and when they did, i found myself wanting a cigarette. in my opinion it was because firstly they had focused my attention on smoking by bringing up the subject and secondly because it is human nature to not want to be told what to do and therefore doing the opposite

Sick of Cigarettes? find out about Hypnosis for Smoking

Posted by: Dithmo | August 16, 2008 9:55 PM