October 2012 Archives

Cabdriver killed on Highway 494

| 1 Comment

A cabdriver is dead after a multi car crash on Interstate 494 early Monday, according to the Star Tribune.

State Patrol said an unlicensed driver ran out of gas on I-494 and caused a multi car crash involving six other vehicles and a tanker truck, according to the Star Tribune.

"In Bloomington, there is probably a gas station every block or two," State Patrol Eric Roeske said to the Star Tribune.

Nadir Ombabi, 57, was killed in the crash and one other person suffered minor injuries, according to the Star Tribune.

The unlicensed driver is identified as a Minneapolis man named Isidoro Corona, 49, he was driving on a revoked license and has been booked into Hennepin County jail.

Court records show that Corona has over six citations in Minnesota for driving without a valid license since 2005, according to the Star Tribune.

Cell phone theft is on the rise

| No Comments

With the increase of smartphones, cell phone theft is on the rise in major cities, according to USA Today.

In San Francisco, over half of all robberies have been involving smartphones, according USA Today. In Los Angeles, cell phone theft has gone up 27 percent from last year.

"This is the modern-day purse snatching," San Francisco Police Captain Joe Garrity said. "A lot of younger folks seem to put their entire lives on these things that don't come cheap."

In New York, over 40 percent of all robberies involve cell phones, according to USA Today. Cell phone theft is causing consumers a lot of money and it's left police and wireless carriers searching for solutions.

When the Iphone 5 was released, New York police advised people to register the serial numbers on their phones, according USA today. In San Francisco, police have launched a campaign advising the public to be smart with their smartphones.

Officials from the Cellular Telecommunications Industry Association said carriers are scheduled to launch individual databases that would permanently disable a stolen cell phone, according to USA Today.

A database to track reported stolen phones is scheduled to launch in 2013, according to USA Today.

Minneapolis man convicted of aided terroist

| No Comments

A Minneapolis janitor has been convicted of recruiting young men for a terrorist group in Somalia, according to the Star Tribune.

Mahamaud Said Omar, 46, was found guilty on five counts related to terrorism, according to the Star Tribune. He was involved in recruiting at least 20 men from the Minneapolis area to join Al-Shabab and fight in a holy war in Somalia. He could face the possibility of life in prison.

Police said Omar helped with travel arrangements and provided cash to the men who joined Al-Shabab, according to the Star Tribune. The men did not always return home when they left for Somalia.

Abayte Ahmed's 19-year-old son was killed in Somalia when he joined the Al-Shabab, according to the Star Tribune. He disappeared from home one day and never returned.

"He was my first son," Ahmed said to the Star Tribune. "I don't know this man who brainwashed my son."

Omar's attorney said he lived a simple life and was accidentally caught up in the case against him, according to the Star Tribune. They plan to make an appeal.

The Defense of Marriage Act ruled unconstitutional

| No Comments

An 83-year-old widow fights to change the definition of marriage in an appeals court in New York on Thursday, according to the New Yorker.

Edith Windsor was romantically involved with her partner Thea Spyer, whom she later married, according to the New Yorker. After Spyer's death, WIndsor was order to pay over $300,000 in federal taxes because the Defense of Marriage Act, or DOMA, did not recognize their marriage.

The 2nd Circuit Court of Appeals in Manhattan found it unconstitutional that parts of the DOMA prohibited federal government from recognizing same-sex marriages in states where they were legal, like New York, according to the New Yorker.

The Windsor v. United States case will go tot the Supreme Court later this year, according to the New Yorker.

Former university student running for president

| No Comments

A former University of Minnesota student is running to become the next president of the United States, according to the Minnesota Daily.

Dean Morstad, 37, will be on the ballot in Minnesota this November, running against president Obama and Romney. Morstad is running as an independent, according to the Minnesota Daily.

"A party isn't an organization that represents me," Morstad said to the Minnesota Daily.

Morstad currently works as a project manager at Capella University in Minneapoils, according to the Minnesota Daily. He runs his own campaign, with the help of his 11-year-old neighbor Alexis Drew and high school classmate Joshua Franke-Hyland.

Morstad's platform would include minimizing the size of the government and allowing individual voices to be heard in politics, according to the Minnesota Daily.

"Let's get more Americans talking in the national realm at an individual level instead of our voices be diluted into these parties that don't really represent us," he said to the Minnesota Daily.

Morstad said he knows he is not going to win the election but he hopes to inspire others to get involved and get their voices heard, according to the Minnesota Daily.

About this Archive

This page is an archive of entries from October 2012 listed from newest to oldest.

September 2012 is the previous archive.

November 2012 is the next archive.

Find recent content on the main index or look in the archives to find all content.