June 14, 2006
Mean people suck
The whole story was posted by my loving spouse over at Bitter Dregs, so I wasn't going to say anything here about my little Monday night incident on Minnehaha Parkway, but I find that I just have to say something. So, to the guy who decided it was worth his while to harrass me as I biked home from Lake Harriet, a few points:
- Um, thanks for the update, but I'm perfectly aware of the bike path. It's lovely and I ride it quite frequently. But if you think it's safe after dark, think again. It's surprisingly dark down there by the creek. The trail is twisty with lots of blind corners. Not a problem at low speed during daylight, but not so happy after dark. Plus, I have no idea who might be lurking down there waiting to grab a passing cyclist. Probably no one, but that's not a chance I want to take.
- I was totally street-legal with headlight, taillight, and reflective clothing. I was riding as close to the curb as I safely could. There was no oncoming traffic. So I am forced to conclude that I was not impeding your progress in any way; it would have been a simple matter for you to go around me. But instead you had to try to "teach me a lesson." What is wrong with you?
- I needed to make a left turn off the Parkway to continue home. How the heck do you propose I do that from the bike path?
- Minnehaha Parkway is not a highway, or even an arterial road on which you could expect to drive 40 mph. It's a winding, residential street, with a low speed limit. If you really feel the need to get across town faster, try a different street. Or Highway 62. You're not very likely to be annoyed by people doing 19 mph on bikes there!
- I pay taxes in this city and state, too (lots of them). I'm paying for roads and bike trails. I will use either or both as I see fit. That's my right.
Most drivers don't treat cyclists like this guy did. When I drive, I certainly don't act like this guy. Most of my fellow human beings are decent people who, no matter how annoyed they may be with having to pass bicyclists while driving, just do it and go on with their lives. I'm just sorry I had to encounter such an unfortunate example of the species on what was otherwise a very pleasant evening ride.
at June 14, 2006 7:02 PM
It's too bad the lighting isn't better on the bike path.
What an a-hole.
People who make a special effort to harass cyclists using an automobile as a weapon are the same type of people who torture animals for fun. Report this asswipe to the police. He is dangerous, and should not be allowed to continue this behavior.
So sorry this had to happen to you guys, shades.
I have had similar experiences (albeit in broad daylight on a well-trafficked st) and it is scary going up against jerks in x-ton trucks. It's really scary.
1f5p6b Yeah, now it's clear !... And firstly I did not understand very much where there was the link with the title itself !!....