« TV making smarter kids? | Main | Sorority Evictions Raise Issue of Looks and Bias »

A "model middle school"?

A recent article in the The New York Times talked about a "model middle school" in New York. This middle school is Briarcliff. It has earned the title of a model middle school because it had gone beyond the norms of just teaching subject to "focusing on how adolescents think and develop" and to help them cope with the stressful middle school years.
This is all well and good for them, but they spend an average of 24,738 dollars per student. The school can even afford to buy multiple copies of book for each student so they can leave one copy at home.
While this is a great advantage for these students (91 percent of the student population are white) it leads me to think about the stuggling inner city poor schools that can not afford books at all. This is a prime example of where wealth is not being evenly distriputed to those that need it the most, and it is a very sad fact.
In addition, while this school is able to expand past the bare minimum of teaching children their lessons, they develop lessons and skills that focus on critical thinking, moral values and organizational skills. Children from inner city and poor schools do not recieve these opportunities, so how and why should they be expected to compete with children who have been raised with all the "luxuries" of a extremely rich school?

While reading this post I immediately thought of the the elementary school I attended. I went to an inner-city "open" school (it was public and extremely "diverse") and the whole philosophy was centered around what they called 'metacognition'. The process of learning stemmed from thinking about the way each child thinks (as an individual, not as a class). Trust me, they weren't spending 25,000 dollars a year on each of us! It makes me wonder if ppl are trying to confuse education with educational policy and funding. i will agree that money helps schools function properly, but if the school has a strong teaching base and mission students test scores/abilities shouldn't be as low as they are. I feel like for the most part we've really given up on our inner-city schools and are doing little to fix the problem.