Grades, Papers and Tests, and Thank You!!!

I just wanted to let you know that we finally finished grading and I posted the grades today (May 15th), so you should be able to see them on Onestop within the next 24 hours. If you have any questions or concerns about your grade, don’t hesitate to email me.

Also, your final papers and final tests will be available for you to pick up in 909 Social Sciences Building during normal office hours (8am to 4:30pm, Monday through Friday). As we announced in class, we didn’t comment a lot on the papers or exams, so if you have any questions about your grade on anything, again, don’t hesitate to contact me.

Finally, I wanted to say that I really enjoyed this semester. You were a great class and I really appreciated the careful thought and hard work you put into this class. Good luck in all you do in the future!

All Entries Graded

Please note that all reactions/response/media journals have now been graded. Any additional entries will not be graded or count towards your final grade.

Review Questions

Sorry this is so close to the final for those taking it on Monday, but here's a list of questions I prepared similar to the one's I posted for the midterm. This is how I found easiest to prepare for the tests, hopefully someone else can benefit. They mostly focus on items for the short answer questions, but I think knowing the details of the concepts helps in the essay questions. The questions marked (*) are from the Sample Final Questions handed out in lecture, look for the answers there.
Happy studying!

Family, Background and Education

Name two ways in which the family is important for reproducing gender roles and ideologies.*

Describe the “separate spheres? ideology and how it has varied culturally and over time.

How is status attainment affected by race?

Explain how race and class interact within the education system and how this directly impacts status attainment.

Work and the Economy

Describe what is meant by the “dual economy?. How did the labor-capital accord operate differently in each sector?

Name at least two of the strategies corporations have used to maintain profits in the face of failed competition.*

According to Rubin, what are the main differences between the “old? industrial economy and the “new? service economy?*

Describe the labor markets of the old economy.

Describe the labor markets of the new economy.

What are internal labor markets?*

Describe each of the factors influencing employment outcomes for inner-city people of color.

What are the various programs companies have instated to reduce inequality? Which have proven to be most effective?

Compare and contrast individualistic and structural explanations for gender inequality in employment outcomes. Name at least two explanations of each type (2 individualistic and 2 structuralist explanations). Which is most convincing? Why?*

Differentiate between Affirmative Action policies and Anti-Discrimination laws.

Identify 3 criticisms of Affirmative Action policy and their counter arguments.

Social Inequality in Comparative Perspective: State Policies and Institutions

Evaluate Epsing-Andersen’s three social policy regimes based on the three criteria that he provides.

Describe the gender employment and political outcomes of each of the social policy regimes.

What impacts does family policy have on employment? What are these factors dependent upon?

What type of health care system does the United States have?*

Compare and contrast the US health care system to the two other types of systems in the industrialized world. Provide specific benefits and costs of each system.

What challenges are all these systems facing that will shape the future of health care services?

Describe the three basic types of social assistance programs.

Compare and contrast welfare ideology and provisions before and after the 1970’s Welfare Crisis.

Which of the following social institutions is the most important for explaining racial inequality in the United States: the family, education, work and the economy, or the state and public policy? Support your answer with at least 3 examples from the lectures or reading.*

The Future of Social Inequality

Name four examples of how American society has made progress in combating systems of oppression.

Social Safety Net Assignment

Here are the "policy memos" your peers created for the social safety net assignment we did today in class. I hope you learned something from the process of putting these together, I, for one, learned a lot from reading them.

Review Sessions and Final Exam Times

There will be two optional reviews for the final: Sunday, May 6th at 7pm and Friday, May 11th at 7pm. Both review session will be held in Blegen 150. Please come to the review closest to when you will be taking the final exam and come with lots of questions.

As a reminder, you have two options for taking the final exam. First, on Monday, May 7th from 10am to 12am and, second, on Saturday, May 12th from 4pm to 6pm. Both finals will be held in Blegen 150. The final will have the same format as the midterm, but will focus on the readings, lectures, and assignments discussed in the last half of the course.

Information about Affirmative Action at the U of M

After several questions in class yesterday, I looked for more information about the various Affirmative Action programs here at the U. Perhaps the easiest program to find information on was the affirmative action program for employment. The University is a substantial government contractor, and as such, has a legal responsibility to develop and publicy disseminate a affirmative action plan for hiring. According to the Universities affirmative action plan for 2006, the purpose of affirmative aciton in employment (Faculty and Staff) is to "remove the barriers that have excluded peoplefrom full participation (in the unversity)". The groups currently covered by affirmative action, defined by
state and federal law, include women, racial minorities, people with disabilities, disabled veterans, veterans of the Vietnam era, recently separated veterans, and other eligible veterans.

Continue reading "Information about Affirmative Action at the U of M" »

More Reading Lists

As promised quite some time ago, here are more reading lists with additional readings on some of the course topics. The first reading list ecompasses the literature on the welfare state , including the literature on family policies, gender and the welfare state, and political economy. The second reading list contains the sociological literature on gender inequality in employment, both in the United States and in other comparable countries. Note that these readings lists are very long (they are from the reading list for my preliminary examination), so look through it carefully before deciding what to read. Feel free to ask me for help in narrowing down the things that you should read.

How to Cite Articles in the Ore/Grusky Books

I have had a number of questions about how to cite articles in the Ore and/or Grusky books for the paper, so I thought I would email you and post this here to clarify. You should cite it like an article from a collected/edited work. So, for example, I wanted to cite the article by Katz in the Ore book on the Invention of Heterosexuality. I would do the following:

In-text citation: The growth of the consumer economy in the late Victorian era fostered a new sexual ethic that emphasized the pleasure principle for both men and women (Katz 2006).

References Section: Katz, Jonathan Ned. 2006. “The Invention of Heterosexuality? Pp. 151-163 in The Social Construction of Difference and Inequality: Race, Class, Gender, and Sexuality. 3rd ed., edited by Tracey E. Ore. Boston: McGraw Hill.

Hope this helps!

Class and Office Hours

In order to give you more time to work on your papers, there will be no class on Thursday, April 5th. We will be talking about the material on Affirmative Action on Tuesday, April 10th instead, so please read Thursday’s reading on affirmative action for next Tuesday, April 10th. I will discuss family policies later in the semester, so don’t do the readings for April 10th on family policy until I tell you too.

If you were scheduled to post a reading reaction for Thursday’s class, you know have until next Monday, April 9th at noon to post your response.

I will be holding extended office hours all this week to help you with your papers.

These office hours are:
Today – 9:30am to 2pm
Wednesday – 11am to 2:30pm
Thursday – 1:30pm to 4pm
Monday, April 9th – 9am – 11:30am

If you want to meet with me, please try and make these office hours. If you can’t, email me and we will work out another time to meet.

Midterm review questions

Ok so this isn't a media journal, but I thought that maybe we could start a post online to help everyone with the midterm exam... kind of like a study group but on a blog posting site. My idea (and if anyone has a better suggestion, please, suggest it) is to post questions that you think could be created and placed on the midterm, kind of like the sample questions Eric handed out in class. I know that I would love to have some more questions to use for studying. So I suppose I will start-

1. Compare and contrast the three different theories on social class (Marx, Weber, and Durkheim).

2. Discuss the way that gender is reproduced and reinforced through society and give two specific examples of this reinforcement.

There is no need to answer the question, it's just a way to thoroughly look at the material. Again, if anyone has better suggestions or questions, please add to this or adjust it. I'd love to get some different questions from people. Good luck with your studying!

Barack Obama and Race

Here are a couple of interesting video clips on CNN about Barack Obama and race that relates back to the discussions we had last week in class. First is a clip from Paula Zahn with what Barack Obama has to say about race. Second is a clip with John Ridley, an African American author and pundit, discussing "divisions" in the African American community around Barack's candidacy. Notice the not so subtle "slip of the tongue" by anchor mixing up "Obama" and "Osama".

Additional Reading

For those of you are interested in additional reading on a topic, I will periodically post reading lists of articles and books that might be of interest to you. Here is a reading list for whiteness theory. Others, including additional readings for race, will follow.

Printing Lectures and Readings

Lectures and readings are posted in a single page per sheet, but you can easily print them out on muliple pages per sheet. If you click on the "print" option in Adobe Reader, the print dialogue box opens up. In about the middle of the print dialogue box, there is a box labeled "page scaling". Click on the box next to it and you will see an option called "multiple pages per sheet". Click on that and some new options will show up allowing you to print as many slides per sheet as you want. It looks like this:

printpicture.JPG

Note: if you don't see the "page scaling" box, you most likely need to upgrade to the most current version of adobe reader.

Alternative Final Date and Time

After voting in class on Thursday, the alternative final date and time is set for:

Mon, May 7th, 10am – 12am.

We will still have our regularly scheduled final on Saturday, May 12th, 4pm-6pm.

If you want to take the final at a time different from these two, please contact me and we may be able to work something out.

Ore Third Edition Table of Contents

For those of you who go the 2nd Edition of the Ore book, here is the table of contents for the third edition, so that you can compare the two and find the appropriate page numbers for the readings.

Days to Post Reading Reaction/Discussion Question

Below you will find the day you signed up to post the reading reaction/discussion questions. Remember that postings are due by noon the day before your assigned class .

If you decide to change, please let me know so that I can put you in the appropriate day.
If you miss the day that you are supposed to post, email me and I will assign you a new day.

Continue reading "Days to Post Reading Reaction/Discussion Question" »

First Day Student Survey Results

Here is a summary of the results from the first day student survey, in case you are interested. I will discuss the results in class on Thursday.

Due Dates

Below are due dates for assignments and exams:

Research Paper Proposal -- Thursday, Feb. 8th.

Outline and Annotated Bibliography -- Thursday, Mar. 1st.

Midterm Examination -- Thursday, Mar. 8th.

One Media Journal and Two Responses -- Thursday, Mar. 8th.

First Draft of Course Paper -- Tuesday, Apr. 10th.

Final Draft of Course Paper -- Thursday, May 3rd.

Final Examination -- Saturday, May. 12th.

One Media Journal and Two Responses -- Saturday, May. 12th.

Syllabus

Here is a copy of the syllabus.

How to Blog

To login, follow the Login to UThink on the right side of the screen. Enter your x500 id and password.

1. First, set up a nickname. Once you've logged in, you'll be taken to the Movable Type main menu (Movable Type is the name of the blogging software the U is using). In the top right corner, you'll see "Welcome yourx500." Click on your name and you'll be taken to your Author Profile. In the "Display Name" box, enter what you would like displayed as your name on the blog. Your first name is fine, though if you want to use something else that's fine too: just email me and let me know what it is.

2. To make your first entry, from the Main Menu page, just click on the "New Entry" link under "Soc. 3251W Race, Class and Gender." You'll be taken to a page that looks like this:

mt_newentry.jpg

In the Title field, enter a title for your entry. In the Primary Category box, select the correct category for your post (i.e. Media Journal if it is a media journal post or the correct dates and course topices if it is a reading response ). Make sure you post your reaction in the appropriate category or they will not be graded.

In the "Entry Body" box, write your post. In general, it's a good idea to write your post first in a simple text editor and then just paste it into the box. For short entries (two paragraphs or less), just put the whole thing in the "Entry Body" box. For longer entries, break up your entry by putting anything past the second paragraph into the "Extended Entry" box. That way your entry won't take up all the space on the main pages and people will have to click a "Continue reading..." link to see all the post.

3. To post a response to a entry, click on the "comment" link in the posting and enter your first name and comment. You can preview your comment if you want, or just click "post" to post your comment.

A few notes:

• To make something bold, highlight the word and then click the "B" icon.

• To italicize something, just type the word, highlight it and click the "I" icon.

• To make a weblink, write the text you want to make into a link, highlight it and then click the link icon above (it's a little chain icon). Then, in the window that pops up, type (or paste) in the URL you want to link to.

• Obviously, for all of these you can just use HTML tags as well if you know them.