« Blog Links | Main | Distraction as Reception/ Perception »

Prompt for Blog Entry #1

Thoreau describes his sojourn into the woods as an experiment, and goes on to explain that:
"I went to the woods because I wished to live deliberately, to front only the essential facts of life, and see if I could not learn what it had to teach, and not, when I came to die, discover that I had not lived. I did not wish to live what was not life, living is so dear; nor did I wish to practise resignation, unless it was quite necessary. I wanted to live deep and suck out all the marrow of life, to live so sturdily and Spartan-like as to put to rout all that was not life, to cut a broad swath and shave close, to drive life into a corner, and reduce it to its lowest terms, and, if it proved to be mean, why then to get the whole and genuine meanness of it, and publish its meanness to the world; or if it were sublime, to know it by experience, and be able to give a true accout of it in my next excursion."

The question I want you to consider is this: why did Thoreau choose the woods as the place to conduct his experiment? In your response, consider the differences between life as lived in the village and the life Thoreau lived in the woods. What becomes possible only by retreat to the woods, and why? Post a page long entry in reponse to this prompt by midnight on Wednesday.