Small Firm: Big Potential

Recently I have been looking for an internship and was lucky enough to find one that sounded interesting. After emailing the contact I received an email detailing the duties I would be assigned. In addition I was sent the company web address and youtube channel to check out. I was a bit surprised at what I saw. The website was sparse but easy to read and follow. There were clearly identifiable "hotspots" where the viewers gaze is clearly led however between those spots is was relatively blank leaving the eye to wander instead of focusing in on the key information. This firm is very small and I understand they do not have money to invest in research regarding their site however, they are heavily based in the online world and would benefit from doing secondary research about webpage design and potentially reconfiguring their screen.
I was pleased with the innovation I saw in their youtube channel. Over 80 informational videos have been posted in the last few months and it has a very upbeat and exciting feel. This expansion into the social media sphere is a step in the right direction. I would be interested in finding out if there is any information about the viewers of the videos because that could be very helpful when targeting new facebook friends, followers and linkedin connections.
As an intern my job would be to increase the online presence and visibility of the firm. This is going to require some outside investigations, primarily online to determine the target audience and best practices to reach them. The potential of the firm is huge and I am looking forward to working with them and putting my new knowledge of research to work in the more effective way possible.