Danica Patrick, who's that?

Today was the day of the Indianapolis 500. In my family, growing up, the Indy 500 was like a national holiday. My dad wanted three sons, but he got three daughters, so we acquired an eclectic array of interests including racing.

Derek, on the other hand, couldn't care less about auto racing. He's at the dog park with Dylan, and I'm glued to the TV watching Danica Patrick lead the race in the final laps.

Since starting this post, the race has ended and she came in 4th overall. This is a history-making day for racing and in my life, but Derek is completely uninterested. This is an example to me of how couples can have such varied interests between them but still get along in such a unique way.

Derek has his things that he does, I have mine, and we have ours and the arrangement works great for us. I support him in his crazy rants at the TV when he watches "The O'Reilly Factor" and he supports me when I watch horror movies all day when I don't feel well (he supports from the other room, because he hates horror flicks). I let him jump up and down when the Vikings are minutes away from winning (or losing) a game, and he lets me gab with my dad about who "should" have won the Daytona 500.

We have plenty of things in common, but plenty of things that are different and I wouldn't have it any other way.

Posted by tsch0020 at May 29, 2005 3:27 PM