Living in Sin

Derek and I have really gone about this all wrong.

First, we got a dog.

Then, we moved in together.

Now, we're looking for a new house.

Finally, we will get married and have kids.

My friends, on the other hand, did everything the "right" way. They dated, got engaged, got married, moved in together, bought a house, got a dog, and had a kid.

Its hard sometimes to ignore the idea that there is a "right" way to do certain things. I've spent a great deal of time and energy (wasted time, actually) worrying about what other people thought about what I did or didn't do.

When Derek and I met, almost all of our friends were paired up or married. Now, all of them are married and starting on the other stuff like dogs and kids.

In a way, Derek and I have some unique insights that our friends don't have. We know what its like to stay up all night caring for a scared little puppy on his first night in a new home. We've already established the whole "division of labor" thing that cohabitating people have to figure out. We've already learned so much about each other by living together that some newly married people take months to find out.

In a lot of ways, I'm really happy about the way things have worked out for us. Our parents are all really supportive of our "lifestyle" and seem to really embrace this whole living-together, dog-owning, house-buying idea. Not bad for a couple of sinners huh?

Posted by tsch0020 at June 1, 2005 4:39 PM