If You Build It....

Before Derek and I got engaged officially, I played around a little bit with what I thought my engagement ring might look like. I went to BlueNile.Com and tried their "Build Your Own Engagement Ring Simulator".

It was fun to try out different settings and different stones. After a little while I tried to make the most expensive ring I could make just for fun. The most expensive diamond was a pear-shaped diamond for $1, 161, 368.00!

It should be here in four to six weeks.

Posted by tsch0020 at 2:57 PM

Etiquette Hell

I have to admit that I don't know a great deal about weddings. I was never the little girl who had her whole wedding planned out by the age of nine like some people.

When the subject of wedding etiquette comes up, I'm pretty clueless. I know there are certain ways in which you are supposed to plan things, and that you have to consider special circumstances like how to seat divorced parents and the like. But when I did a search on wedding etiquette I came across the most hilarious site ever. Its called "Etiquette Hell" and it chronicles the absolute WORST examples of etiquette faux pas imaginable.

I particularly like the section on "Bridezillas". My favorite story was the one about the bride who sent her wedding invitations out SEVEN MONTHS in advance and then changed the location of the venue without sending out a new invite! Can you believe this?

The site is really funny, but be prepared....you might find yourself reading for a while. Be sure to check out the Bridesmaid Dress Incinerator.....hilarious!

Posted by tsch0020 at 2:27 PM

Perfect for Each Other

Derek and I were in Wal-Mart one day, and while he was looking at something I perused the book section. There was a book there about birth order, that basically said that the order in which you were born into your family, and the order your future spouse was born can help determine the success or failure of your relationship.

When Derek met up with me in the book section, we skimmed to the part that talked about "First Born Females" marrying "Last Born Males". To refresh my memory about the way the book worded everything, I did a search on Google and found a story that recaps the author's findings.

The article says, "If you want the absolute best match, it's female only or first-born marrying a male youngest child who has older sisters. "

The reasoning behind this theory is that, "The last born with older sisters is going to be the sort of person who brings out the maternal instinct in women, and the oldest sister is likely to have great maternal urges. He would have grown up with girls who have doted on him. This is similar to the treatment he seeks in a wife, and the best place he'll find it is with an oldest sister. The match works both ways. The first-born needs someone to show her pleasures of sunsets, rainbows, and to remind her that it can be fun to let her mind wander and do something mad or different. The last-born needs someone to show him that while having fun is a wonderful thing, it takes hard work and perseverance to make those daydreams into reality."

We talked about this, and in a lot of ways this is true about us. I am very maternal. I have two younger sisters and I'm used to always looking out for people and taking care of them. Derek is used to being taken care of to some extent as well. This does not mean though that there is a mother-child thing going on with us. Derek is incredibly responsible and level-headed. I'm the one who is actually a little more flaky in some respects.

I'm more organized, but Derek is more driven to get things done right. I'm more of the type of person who just wants to get things done and check them off my list and hope they turn out.

I think that this theory holds true for us in some ways, but not as much in others. We both have aspects of each type of person, but what I think works well for us is that we seem to balance each other out when we need that balance.

If you are wondering which birth order combo is one of the worst? First-born and first-born....the butt heads like crazy!

Posted by tsch0020 at 1:47 PM

Runaway Bride Indicted

Jennifer Wilbanks, the "runaway bride" who left her 600 guest wedding days before it was to happen has been indicted.

You may remember that she left her home on "a jog" and was later found in New Mexico after she claimed she was kidnapped from her Georgia neighborhood. She later recanted her story, and admitted that she had planned her escape from her wedding nearly a week earlier.

The Grand Jury has indicted Jennifer Wilbanks on two counts, with one being a felony count that carries a maximum sentence of 5 years in prison.

Posted by tsch0020 at 3:40 PM

Martha, Eat Your Heart Out!

I searched all over for a tutorial on how to preserve fall leaves. We are planning to decorate our tables with fall foliage, but we don't want to buy preserved leaves because they are too expensive, and the silk ones just look fake.

So I decided that I would preserve leaves myself. I found a tutorial that explains the process, but as I was reading it I came up with my own version of the tutorial based on what is most likely to happen.

How to Preserve Fall Leaves

1. Buy glycerine, containers to hold the glycerine, containers to store the containers that hold the glycerine, and lots of rubber gloves. Chances are you will spend more than it would cost just to buy leaves already preserved.

2. Enlist help from friends and family who have nothing else to do all day but look for perfect fall leaves without tears or holes in them. Estimated number of friends you will find for this task: 0.

3. Heat up glycerine on the stove, taking great care not to:
a.) Burn yourself.
b.) Spill piping hot gylcerine on the dog who won't leave you alone while you are playing with magma-like substances.
c.) Forget about piping hot glycerine on the stove while you are on the phone calling emergency veterinarian letting them know your dog is en route.

4. Dip leaves in glycerine where they will stay submerged for up to three weeks, or until the leaves become too much of a problem for either you or your fiance and they are thrown out, or when your dog accidentally eats a preserved leaf and needs to be rushed to the emergency room (see item #3).

5. Retrieve leaves from the glycerine after appointed time and marvel at the lack of preservation that actually took place.

6. Add up the number of hours spent preserving leaves, factoring in the amount of money used to purchase supplies, and the final vet bill.

7. Get out your VISA card and buy preserved leaves.

For an actual tutorial on how to preserve leaves, sarcasm removed, click here.

Posted by tsch0020 at 3:16 PM

Bridezilla Part Two

I remember hearing about this story a couple of years ago, but I never really heard all of the details. You may remember that a young woman went crazy at her wedding reception and was dragged away to jail in her wedding dress.

Here is a link to the story as it appeared in the New York Daily News, but I'll run down some of the more interesting details:

*At her wedding, the guests kept jumping over the bar and stealing alcohol, so clearly the old adage "you are who you hang out with" applies.

*She got into a shouting match in the parking lot of the reception venue with her husband of just four hours and screamed, "I hate you"!

*Apparently during her tantrum in the parking lot she "spit on her ring and smashed her wedding cake on the ground".

*When her beloved groom had heard enough from his new bride, he attempted to drive away but, "she took a run at the car and, like an eagle, spread herself on the hood in her wedding gown and fell onto the ground".

Needless to say, Adrienne Samen was arrested and released on bond. Not exactly how one would think they would celebrate their wedding and honeymoon, but I guess everyone has their own idea of a good time.

Posted by tsch0020 at 2:30 PM

BrideAudit

Ok, I found one of the funniest wedding-related sites ever...it's called Going Bridal, and on this site they have a hilarious tool called the BrideAudit, which is a calculator that helps determine how much a certain guest to your wedding should spend on your wedding gift. It asks questions such as, "Are you marrying up or marrying down" with answers like, "His family is kind of trashy" and, "I'm marrying him for his money".

Other funny (and thought-provoking) questions are:

1. Are your friends cheap?
- What kind of question is that?
- Yes, but I love them anyway.
- Yes, so I'm not expecting much from them.
- Yes, but I think they'll come through for my wedding.
- No, but you should see his friends! Talk about cheap!

2. Are your relatives cheap?
- What kind of question is that?
- Yes, but I love them anyway.
- No, but you should see his family! Talk about cheap!

After you fill out the survey, it tells you your Entitlement Factor, and goes on to create an invoice that you can send to the guest for what they "owe" you! This site is hilarious...I wonder if anyone has ever taken this site seriously....

BrideAudit: Get Everything Your Guests Owe You....

Posted by tsch0020 at 4:44 PM

Big, yes, fat maybe, Italian definitely!

When I saw the movie, "My Big Fat Greek Wedding", I thought of my family...except replace "Italian" in there....

My family is relatively big, if you count extended cousins of my parents and my grandparents and all of their family members. Derek's family is also large, since his Dad has several siblings. I was asked in a comment if either or both of us are Italian. I am Italian, but Derek is not. But he looks the part, with his dark hair and dark eyes and olive-y skin. I, on the other hand, don't look Italian in the traditional sense, but based on the way my family members from Italy look, I am truly Italian. My grandma and her mother were both short, pale skinned, had dark hair, and dark eyes. My grandma used to tell me that I looked like her Aunt Antoinette, who had eyes "like a gypsy".

Our wedding will have definite "big, fat, Italian" components. I plan for there to be lots of food, Frank Sinatra music at every opportunity, and Tiramisu for the wedding cake. Derek is 100% behind all of this, and he's embracing his "Italian-by-marriage" identity very well.

Posted by tsch0020 at 2:48 PM