transitions

Within the Editorial section of The Star Tribune, a letter from a reader was published. The author of the short article jumps from point to point without making smooth transitions. The author of the article has written her opinions on educational programs within her community. A possible transition between two of the points may read: “In the future, both the head commissioner and school board members may use their power in favor of the students, parents, and teachers.” By using the transition after the opening paragraph, the readers may have a preview of what will follow.
Transitions play an active role in my writing by providing easy reading, a preview to proceeding topics, and to back my credibility as the author. Transitions provide my writing to be more effective to the reader(s). Separate points or ideas are easier to understand and listen to with smooth transitions. Whatever my topic or writing purpose may be, effective transitions allow my points to be stated more clearly.
On the web, transition statement examples are given using common transition words such as: moreover, also, however, and, while. Some examples include: “Jillian is dedicated mother to her children; in addition, she is a talented professor.” Another form of the same points include: “Jillian is a dedicated mother to her children, and she is a dedicated mother.” Both of these transition statements can be used to link two separate paragraphs and two separate points.

Posted by angst018 at September 24, 2004 11:25 AM