opinion article transition

1. I feel that the best way to tie in the history of the topic with the opinion part is to simply transition from one to the other. I would like to do this by talking about the history of why people are against gay marriage, then the history why they are for it, and finally why I agree with the idea of legalizing gay marriage. I feel that this sequence would be most successful when describing the topic and transitioning over to my opinion. However, there may be points in the paper where I would have to interrupt the history part in order to make a point why I feel it is wrong. This may not be necessary but the opportunity may come up where I'll want to interrupt and make a valid point for my argument.

2. http://www.thebatt.com/news/2004/02/03/Opinion/SameSex.Marriage.Amendment.Needless-595502.shtml

States are already handling gay marriage according to the wishes of their constituents, which is a much more effective way of dealing with a diverse population subject to changing opinions. Most states forbid same-sex marriage, according to USA Today, which makes a change to the Constitution superfluous.

By leaving the matter under state jurisdiction, Bush and Congress allow regional differences to shape legislation in a more accurate reflection of the will of the people. While 37 states have laws against same sex marriage and Alaska, California, Nebraska and Nevada prohibit it in their constitutions, many of the legal rights granted to married couples are bestowed on same-sex couples in New Jersey, Hawaii and California.

3. This part of the article starts by talking about how states are already handling the topic individually. The transition goes from that thought to actually talking about certain states and what position they have on the topic of same-sex marriage. It also does a good job by giving examples as to certain states and their position on the issue.

4. As with most online articles, transitions are usually hard to notice or they are very weak when used. I had a hard time finding a transition in this article but the paragraphs do seem to relate somewhat so I fealt it was a good enough example of a transition from one thought into more details on that thought in the next paragraph. Obviously when going into a paper form that has multiple pages, structure and transitions will be much more noticable in comparrison to an online article. Articles online may only be a page or two at the most so all of their ideas need to be brief and to the point. This is the main problem with online articles in general. They just don't have proper structure to them. They lack intros and conclusions sometimes and paragraph structure is usually thrown out the window.

Posted by fris0084 at October 15, 2004 11:15 AM