Thought Paper

Thought Paper

I think that one way that we can connect our history paper and convincing paper is that we can use the history to show facts that will help in the convincing part. If I tell you something no matter what it really is if I donít have facts to back it up there really is no reason for you to believe me at all. Therefore, with the history part going first you show the history and include facts for the reader to have a better understanding and when you convince they know many facts. Finally, with the history of both sides of your topic being before your convincing part you will let the reader know a little about both sides before you convince.
Pasteurized, homogenized cow's milk has been promoted as the perfect food for humans, especially for our children. This multi-generational advertising campaign has been so successful that the industry has a $multi-million advertising budget and a legislative lobbying influence in congress so powerful that every child in a public school receives a pint of milk each day -- whether he or she can pay for it or not. In 1999 the Department of Agriculture donated $200 million to America's dairy farmers despite the fact that the wholesale price for milk had reached the highest levels in history. www.mercola.com/2000/feb/27/no_milk.htm

I chose this paragraph for a transitionary paragraph because I feel that is had information, date or history, and also it is starting to try and get you to be convinced. The writer talks about, how milk is thought of as a perfect food and everyone is promoted to drink milk. Then goes into how much money is put into advertising and then how mch is given back to the dairy farmers.
I feel that they uses this section very well as a transition. This is because they start by talking about how everyone thinks that milk is good for you and most people do but by the end they are starting to convince you that milk really isnít such good thing. They try to get you to believe that milk is kind of forced on kids and that it is just a costly product.
I see many problems with this article. One problem that I see has to do with the money that is given back to the dairy farmers. The way it is stated in the paragraph it makes it sound like the farmers are making tons of money now that milk prices in the stores are so high and then there is an additional $200 million going to the farmers after that. This may be all true but not all the facts are there. Milk might cost more then ever in the store but the farmers are not receiving all that money. In fact, up until last year my parents were making less money per gallon of milk then when they started milking 25 years ago. This is a big problem in this article because they might have facts but they donít have them all.

Posted by sext0066 at October 15, 2004 11:18 AM