Transitions

I think that by expanding the history section to include devices such as ethos, pathos, and logos, it will become a more persuasive paper. For example, after a paragraph about the history of a specific law was passed, I will explain how it supports my thesis. On my other points I am going to expand into tragic stories of animal abuse, which will cause a great deal of emotions in the audience. My paper about animal abuse in the circus should convince the readers using a lot of emotion (pathos) and feeling for the animals. I will also add a persuasive conclusion to drive my points home about how people abuse animals in the circus and immediate action need to take place against animal abuse.
“Performing animals have always been a part of the circus and thus an integral part of American culture for over 200 years and of Eurasian culture for over 2000 years. Yet so many of us know very little about the how performing animals live, how they are trained, and how they are treated by their trainers and handlers. It is no wonder, then, that misinformation about performing circus animals abounds today.”(www.lionden.com/circus5.htm)
This paragraph transitions from the history of animals in the circus to personal beliefs about animals performing in the circus. It lets the reader know that the author is now going to describe what their opinions are and they are going to tell you the ‘truth’ as they see it. It does a good job of not being too direct in telling the reader this though. It’s subtlety does a good job of being a transition without alerting the reader to put up a barrier against the author’s opinion. The next paragraph starts with the author’s opinion.
Actually, I think that a good clincher to this sentence would be the author’s opinion on the topic. Just to let the reader know what the author wants to talk about. It would set the stage a little better. I think the end of this paragraph leaves the reader questioning what the article is going to be about. When writing a persuasive paper, I think it is most effective when the author clearly states their opinion. This allows the reader to look for the supporting arguments of this point of view and decide whether or not they agree.

Posted by lore0193 at October 15, 2004 11:19 AM