GMO arguments

For my paper I argue for genetic engineering. It is hard to argue against GMOs when it comes to labeling and effecting surrounding organisms. When it comes to labeling I agree that a consumer has the right to know what is in the food they are purchasing and consuming, but it becomes hard when you think how someone is suppose to go about labeling GMOs. What is considered as a GMO and how is someone supposed to know the different genes within the product. It is hard to know were a peanut gene into another organism is going to act like a peanut and have an allergic reaction like one. Plus is would cost more money to package the GMOs since they have to take time and figuring what is the GMO product and whether there are allergic reactions. To discredit this argument I would use values, economy and capitalism over safety and responsibility.
Not only labeling but also surrounding organisms may be harmed by GMOs is in question. The genes of the GMO may be transferred to another organism, making that organism the GMO traits, which would not be good. Although this is a good theory there is no proof that this could happen. This one of the arguments made by the environmentalist, but it can be justified. To tire this argument down I would use credibility and not enough data.

Posted by sull0384 at November 19, 2004 11:20 AM