Groups

Now that we are working on group speeches I think it would be nice if everyone could attend class. I don't think it is right that the group members that come to class have to do all the work and the ones that don't have no idea what is going on. To make these go easier it would just be easier if everyone attended class.

Posted by chri1014 at 10:25 PM

Speech Analysis

I thought the speech analysis activity today was a good activity. It was nice to watch people we don't know give speeches and analysis them. Because we didn't know them it was easier to pick out what they were doing wrong without worrying about what they think.

Posted by chri1014 at 10:23 PM

Group Speeches

I am very excited about our group speeches. At first I was disappointed that we couldn't pick our own groups however after getting our groups today I feel a lot better. I am also excited about our groups topic and after talking to other people in other groups it sounds like the topics this time around are going to be pretty interesting.

Posted by chri1014 at 9:53 PM

Nervous

I'm kind of nervous about how close the presentations are to eachother. Hopefully my other classes aren't that busy during that time. But i'm guessing they will......yeah

Posted by rolf0051 at 3:13 PM

Group Presentations

Not that I don't like the people I am working with, but I wish we would have been able to choose our own groups. But it'll probably turn out ok in the end.

Posted by rolf0051 at 3:12 PM

Getting the hang

I'm finally getting the hang of this blogging. Hopefully I can find a way to keep it going and bring my participation points up.

Posted by rolf0051 at 3:11 PM

I am also wondering if anyone else received the groups for presentation three b/c I haven't. Everyone had interesting presentations on tuesday, good job!!

Posted by cole0403 at 11:00 PM

I know that people do not like to attended class, but I am writing to let all the none attenders know that tomarrow is a good day to go because we will be learning about our last two presentations. I hope to see everyone.

Posted by gaff0041 at 9:54 PM

Groups

I was wondering if the email had been sent out about the groups we are in yet, as said in class, becuase I have not recieved it if has.

Posted by ikem0003 at 1:25 PM

Blog

Trying to remember to write on this blog is really becoming hard for me. I write it down in two places , but every week I forget and write one blog. Does this happen to anyone else, or am I the only person who has no short term memory.

Posted by wieb0037 at 8:39 PM

Presentations

Everyone did a pretty good job today. I was much less nervous this time around. Thanks goes out to all of those who gave me feedback. I will be more aware of my hand motions on the next speech. I remember my first speech last semester when I tore a patch in the carpeting from pacing! I have become more aware of my nervous energy movements. Thanks again for the helpful feedback.

Posted by klein327 at 2:11 PM

I can not wait to figure out who is in my group for presentation three. I just want to get it done with, the sooner it's done the closer I am to being done with school.

Posted by gaff0041 at 12:35 PM

first time

This is actually the first time that I have been able to remember two weeks in a row to blog.

Posted by rolf0051 at 12:19 PM

assignments

We are having assignments on the readings? I didn't even know that. That sucks

Posted by rolf0051 at 12:18 PM

speeches

I am also excited to move on to the group speeches. I always seem to work better in groups.

Posted by rolf0051 at 12:17 PM

Blog

Has any been doing the reading for the class? I missed a couple assignments.

Posted by wieb0037 at 6:30 PM

I am happy to finally get the sheets for the last two presentations. This way I can map out the end of the year for the class. I thought everyone did an excellent job presenting today.

Posted by gaff0041 at 7:13 PM

I think everyone is doing a really great job with their presentations. You can definitely see improvement in presentation style and organization from the first speech to the second.

Posted by wall0552 at 1:11 PM

Glad

I am glad I finally gave my sppech, It was much easier with visual aides. I am excited to work in groups for the next speech, it will be a nice change of pace.

Posted by wieb0037 at 11:58 AM

Speaking styles

I have noticed that many teachers tend to teach with a casual tone, as if in a conversation. Few seem to go from their notes or structured overheads. Students who tend to use this same approach also tend to come off more knowledgable.

Posted by ikem0003 at 12:32 AM

Bloging still a problem

I still find myself having a problem remebering to blog, I don't know if it was Spring Break or what but hopefully I can keep up with it better.

Posted by ikem0003 at 12:26 AM

speech

Don't know about this speech tomorrow, I'm not feeling well and haven't been able to practice it that much due to the change in date. Hope its not that bad.

Posted by ikem0003 at 12:24 AM

Group presentations

I am excited for the group presentations. However, I would prefer that we got to choose our groups rather than just number off. By choosing our groups we would more likely be with people who share a common interests rather than not having anything in common at all. Being in a group that has a common interest makes it easier to come up with a topic that everyone is knowledgable about.

Posted by chri1014 at 8:29 PM

blogging

This blogging thing is killing me. I have been too busy to even think about blogging and now I think that I am going to be hurting in the long run because I haven't been posting. I have grown to hate blogging.

Posted by rolf0051 at 12:52 PM

speeches

I think we only have 1 or two days left of speeches to hear. But I am excited to start a different topic. Although it never is fun to prepare speeches, I hope I can have a good time with it.

Posted by rolf0051 at 12:51 PM

missed speeches

Sorry to all of you whose speeches i missed throughout the passed weeks. I couldn't be there because of midterms and other class obligations. So I hope to hear some tomorrow I guess.

Posted by rolf0051 at 12:48 PM

I can not wait to be done with speeches. I finally get to go tomarrow, and I think that we only have one more day after that. Thank goodness.

Posted by gaff0041 at 12:43 PM

I thought everyone did a good job on their speeches again today. Hopefully the next two speeches go just as well as the first two.

Posted by craw0115 at 12:04 PM

I kind of wish we had a little more time between our group speech and our final speech. It's gonna seem a little rushed with only one day between those two. Hopefully it still goes well.

Posted by craw0115 at 12:01 PM

I thought the speech on making your own beer was really interesting. The speech inspired me to try it myself and drink lots and lots of my own beer, instead of Anheiser Busch's. Too bad the kits aren't cheaper though, I didn't know they were that spendy.

Posted by craw0115 at 12:00 PM

Posture

I noticed that since we have been giving PPT presentations that some people do like a little funny dance behind the stand while they are talking. I think people forget more about what they are doing when they know that the attention is on the screen.

Posted by difr0001 at 11:54 AM

Presentations 2

I think a laser pen would have really helped some of the presentations, especially those that describe a process and have one or two visuals. I don't know if the teacher or someone else has one but if someone would bring one for the presentations i bet it would help a lot.

Posted by difr0001 at 11:50 AM

Presentations

I thought it was cool that the speech that had the most questions was the one about the home beer making kit. I guess brad was really speeking to the audience on that speech.

Posted by difr0001 at 11:47 AM

Spring break

I was wondering, were we supposed to keep up with the blogs over spring break? I don't think so but i was just wondering.

Posted by difr0001 at 11:46 AM

Hey everybody, welcome back to school. I am not really looking forward to class tomarrow. It's going to be hard to get back into the swing of things.

Posted by gaff0041 at 2:51 PM

Back To The Grind

How all of you had a very nice break, if you weren't having cocktails, hopefully you were getting soon R&R. Hope everyone is ready for there speeches.

Posted by cole0403 at 1:41 PM

speech 2

All though all of these speechs have been delayed and drawn out. i think that everyone has done a very well job and most of the topics are quite interesting

Posted by dabe0004 at 8:08 PM

Break

So did anyone do anything fun for spring break. I went to Lake of the Woods and did some fishing. We brought home our limits so i would say it was a good time.

Posted by dabe0004 at 7:57 PM

Sources

So i am in a little pinch here. I do not really have any sources for my speech because all of the information came from what i know and what i have learned from friends over the years. I know i will not come up 6 sources that is like impossible for my speech

Posted by dabe0004 at 7:55 PM

Oh my god

So i have totally forgot about doing the blog for like 3 weeks. THis is terriblei can not believe that i have Forgot for that long. Well see everyone next week.

Posted by dabe0004 at 7:51 PM

Survey Questions

I am wondering if anyone still has a copy of the survey questions that went around class. I noticed that we are suppose to hand in a copy of the questions we asked to Charlotte. I emailed them to her and never saved a copy for myself. I have come to a blank on the five questions I asked and can only remember three of the five.

Posted by chri1014 at 8:15 AM

Spring Break

Hey I hope everyone is enjoying spring break!! Did anyone go somewhere warm? I am excited to hear the rest of the speeches when we get back as well as give mine! I really think everyone that gave their speeches so far did a good job!!

Posted by chri1014 at 8:12 AM

Authority

After doing hours of research and readings, i feel like i am much more knowledgable and comfortable answering questions and discussing GMO's then before i began this class. I feel like my credibility has also increased.

Posted by ahma0051 at 5:40 PM

Just Wondering?

This is the second speech class i have taken at the U of M. I feel like after the second presentation i have much less anxiety about speaking and i feel that the formality of the speechs makes it much easier. I also feel that talking about the speechs with the class makes everyone feel more prepared.

Posted by ahma0051 at 5:36 PM

Speeches with visuals

Gee, Thursday's presentations were super. I was surprised at how different speaking with a visual is than just plain speaking is. In some ways it is easier because you know the audience members have something to help them visualize the concept with, yet wondering if the visual was really helping things or confusing things never left my mind while I was giving my speech.

I guess it's one of those things that only lots of practice helps.

Posted by greu0013 at 11:25 PM

Presentation 3

Im really looking forward to presentation # 3! Working with others to present will be really interesting and different from working alone. Im excited to get information on this speech and begin preparing.

Posted by ahma0051 at 2:20 PM

attendance

I am glad that more people are showing up to class. I think that the more people that are in class the more comfortable you feel. It makes it feel more formal, rather then informal if your speaking to 8 people because half the class didnt come.

Posted by ahma0051 at 2:14 PM

Presentation #2

Hey Everyone! Great job on speech two. I was really surprised to see how helpful the visual aids were in aiding the presetation. In many cases i felt the visuals really helped me understand what the presenter was trying to describe.

Posted by ahma0051 at 2:11 PM

I was very surprised on how fast my speech went with using visuals, they didn't take as much time as I thought they would. Have a nice sprink break:):)

Posted by cole0403 at 1:26 PM

Were there any special announcements in class today?

Posted by wall0552 at 2:15 PM

sorry

I completely slept through both of my rhetoric classes this morning. Apologies to those who presented.

Posted by wall0552 at 2:14 PM

Blogging

I have to mention again that I am finding this blogging thing hard to remember to do. Does anyone else have a strategy that they are doing to remember to blog? It is nice to read what others write however like someone else mentioned what is the point if no one responds back.

Posted by chri1014 at 11:09 AM

I hope everyone had a good weekend. I am looking forward to seeing everyone's presentation on Tuesday.

Posted by gaff0041 at 8:55 PM

Last week before spring break, this has been a quick semester. The speeches looked good last week, the visual aids seems like they are helping the speaker feel more comforatable.

Posted by wieb0037 at 1:19 PM

Does anyone remember those readings that we had to do? They were online articles. I don't think that we ever talked about them.

Posted by gaff0041 at 3:47 PM

Other Speech

I believe that all the presentations done on tuesday were very good and organized. I was interested in a lot of the topics. Hope to hear more.

Posted by rolf0051 at 6:32 PM

sorry

I am also sorry to hear about charlottes neck. It gave a good break to a very long week.

Posted by rolf0051 at 6:31 PM

Speech

I had to do my speech thursday and was there seriously a slide minimum? I don't think there is, but who knows

Posted by rolf0051 at 6:30 PM

First off, sorry to hear about Charlottes accident, thats a bummer. Hope you feel better. I am relieved that todays speakers are not getting pushed to next week b/c I have conflicts in scheduling on tuesday. After spring break is fine with me.

Posted by cole0403 at 10:23 AM

NO BODY READS THIS SITE

This blog is so pointless. It's a waste of time if no one takes the time to answer your questons.

Posted by gaff0041 at 8:49 AM

Does anyone know how many times a week we are suppose to blog? I have been doing it three times a week and it seems like to much. Let me know.

Posted by gaff0041 at 9:17 PM

Pre- Speech

I have only just started working on the PPT this week and give my presentation on tuesday, but my concerns are on how to relate a visual that will help explain the process and not just look good. Using clip art to decorate the PPT is easy and can help guide the viewer with what is going on in the slide.

Posted by difr0001 at 11:42 AM

Maybe a Useful Gadget

I was going to purchase a laser pen for my presentation. You can get them at shinders for 6 or 7 bucks. I think that it should help with people who have visuals that are either processes or complicated cut outs. Since i go first next tuesday i think probably at least one person might ask if they could borrow it which will be fine.

Posted by difr0001 at 11:39 AM

Presentations

I liked the topics of most of the presentations, but thought that the students presenting relied to heavily on what was on the power point. it seemed to distract the presenters and throw them off of where they were in the speechs.

Posted by difr0001 at 11:35 AM