3257 Survey Questions
Directions: I will post this on our blog under “survey questions.” Instead of sending your responses to me, please edit the entry “Survey questions” by clicking on “edit entry,” entering your information under each question and clicking on “save.” I believe you should be able to do this. I will make sure your permissions are such that you can edit entries. This will help you guys be less nervous about entering your information and will compile it pretty easily, so I can organize it quickly and send it back. If you have questions, write me back.
1. Is downloading copyrighted music or movies without paying for them okay?
I feel like it's wrong but I do it anyways (+1).
I think its wrong but I do it also.
I feel like it's wrong but I do it anyways.
2. What do you know about copyrights?
-I know that it has recently been changed from 50-70 years after the author's death
-They seem to keep extending, mostly in part due to the efforts of various corporations (such as Disney) so that they don't expire.
-pretty much nothing
-They protect the work people create. Violations of them are theft of property
help people get paid for the work they do
-They're great in theory but not always as good in practise.
- I know a little here and there - I know that copyright laws are there for a reason, anyway.
-I dont know much at all.
I don't know much at all either.
3. What is your top reason, if you download copyrighted music, for downloading?
-I like free stuff!
-I can't buy it, most of the stuff I download isn't for sale anywhere (if it is, I havn't found it).
-don't do it
dont want a whole cd and dont want to pay 1.00 for the rights to a song.
I don't download without paying. It's theft.
- I do it because I only want one or two songs on the radio and don't need to buy the whole CD to just get one song.
- downloading is free and you can find things that aren't in stores/on cds.
-It is convenient when I hear a song I like to download it. I usually end up buying the CD sooner or later.
Instead of buying the whole c.d. when I want one or two songs, that's why I do it.
4. What are your feelings towards the current actions of the media industry?
-I think they are selfish and are trying to win the unbeatable fight. Find other ways to market your music instead of trying to prohibit.
-They could make a better profit by taking advantage of everything. They're already using p2p networks for collecting marketing data, but they don't want people downloading their "biggest hits" since it takes away from people purchasing cds, of which the artists have a nearly non-existant share in the profits.
-It's a sensitive area. The industry does have the right to prosecute. They OWN the material. It is the same as going into a store and stealing. People need to understand this. And notice that it's the recording industry is the prosecuting the most, not the artists. The comanies own the music because it's "common practice."
I don't feel that bad for them...
I think that the media industry is just out to make money and a lot of those people don't need more money, so why should I have to contribute more to them for my entertainment purposes?
-I think it would suck to not be able to make money because people are illegaly getting their music.
I feel that if they create their own music and make it big, then they should be able to reap the profits.
5. Should individuals be held liable and prosecuted for downloading media for their own use? Why?
-No, they shouldn't. I am all about freedom when it comes to file-sharing.
-It's a little bit excessive, downloading has changed how people handle and look at media and information, that and unless someone is reaping a profit from it, it's hard to justify what charges to place against someone (other than copyright fraud)
-depends on what they are doing with what they're downloading
Yes, if they didn't pay for it.
- As long as their not making any money off of it, or re-creating lots of CD's for other people, I don't really think they should be prosecuted.
-Going after individuals is ridiculus because it doens't have an impact on the industry, they just want the public to know that they mean business.
-No, they just need to find a way to stop free online sharing (nearly impossible).
- If they download a ton, and then use it for karaoke or something to make a profit off of, then yes they should get fined.
6. How many people are in your family?
-4 kids, 22 cousins
-Three brothers, four parents!
-Six aunts, five uncles, four grandparents, one sister, and two parents. And an extended family I wont bother to count.
- only one
7. Is your family from Minneapolis?
-Nope, Bismarck, North Dakota
-Wisconsin, and Omaha Nebraska
-No, Princeton, MN
- i grew up in saint paul and went to high school in mpls
No, From Albany.
- no, small town SE MN.
-Nope, cokato, MN about 45 min west
_No- small town in Nortthern Wisconsin
8. How much do you know about pop culture?
-Enough. I may not watch Fear Factor and the Swan every night, but I stay up-to-speed.
-Fairly up to speed, but I don't follow it directly really.
-Enough to know that a lot of the stuff out there is garbage.
- a good deal
- a fair amount; I've never seen Survivor and really can't stand most reality shows, but I do try to keep up with what is actually happening otherwise
-I would say quite a bit.
-I would have to say a lot. I watch many primetime t.v. as well as read all of those magazines like: People, US Weekly, and the like.
9. What do you value the most?
-My family, friends, my social and mental abilities, kind, considerate people.
-Helping eachother and determination.
-My family, loved ones, friends and being respectful to myself and others
-family and friends
- family and friends
-Family and friends
-family, friends, Christ and God, helping others
My family, Friends, and everthing that I able to enjoy in life. Sometimes it's just being alive.
10. If you had to choose between your family and your lover, whom would you choose?
-I would decide based on the issue at hand. It would depend less on the person (since I'd love both) and more on who I think is ethically right.
-I doubt the choice would come up, if my family rejected them I would be in a tough spot, but if they rejected my family it would make me see them differently.
-depends on situations
-whoever gives an ultimatum is out.
-depends on the "lover."
- well, my "lover" is going to become my family, so I guess it really doesn't apply here?
-Family, I have never had a lover
-depends on the situation
11. In which type of setting were you raised?
A. Urban - 3
12. Are you a morning person or a night person?
Night-l, 2, 3, 4,5,6
13. Are you involved or interested in politics?
Yes, interested-l, 2, 3
Yes, both- 3, 4,5
No, neither one, honestly.
14. Do you enjoy sports?
Yes-l,2,3,4, 5, 6, 7,8
15. What came first, the chicken or the egg? :)
does it matter? 1
16. Do you eat breakfast every day?
No- l, 2, 3, 4,5
17. On average, how many times a week do you drink soda (or soda-pop, or pop, or cola)?
18. How often do you have go out to eat per week?
-1 per two weeks
- I eat at the restaurant where I work but never full meals
19. What do you have to drink when you go to the bar (or a party) with your friends (this could be any beverage)?
-beer, wine, things mixed with tonic or Diet Coke
-gin and tonic
- malibu and pineapple
-beer or wine
20. Do you read the nutrition labels on everything you consume?
Yes-l, 2, 3, 4
21. Do you have an interest in what makes an airplane fly?
Yes-l, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6,7
No-l, 2, 3
22. Do you know the basics of what makes an airplane fly?
Yes-l, 2, 3, 4,5,6
23. What are the unclear aspects of what makes an airplane fly?
-I have trouble with laws of aerodynamics
-I'm pretty clear, although I couldn't build an airplane.-2,3
-pretty much know nothing about it, 1
-I think a lot of it is complicated, to understand it all you pretty much have to be an expert
24. What is the clearest aspect of what makes an airplane fly?
-the idea of lift
-I'd have to say lift too
-don't know +1
-Combining light weight with a powerful thrusting motor and aerodynamics
lift and how an airplane gets in the air
25. What is a technical aspect of flight that you would like to know more about?
-I'd like to know why they have that "T" in the back of a plane.
-Maybe the different types of flight? And why some methods work horribly?
-don't know +1
-common reasons for malfunctions or crashes
26. Do you read the newspaper on a regular basis?
Yes- l, 2, 3, 4, 5,6
27. Would you say you keep up with international news?
Yes- 2,3, 4, 5
28. Have you traveled outside of North and South America?
No-l, 2, 3, 4,5,6,7
29. Do your impressions of the United Nations tend to be positive, negative, or neutral?
30. If you had to, could you describe the function and structure of the United Nations?
31. Have you ever worked in the medical field?
No- l, 2, 3,4, 5,6,7
32. How would you rate your level of understanding of medical terminology?
A. minimal- 2,3,4,5
B. moderate-l, 2, 3,4
C. I know a lot
33. Does anyone in your family currently have a serious medical condition?
Yes-l, 2, 3,4, 5
34. Do you have any younger siblings?
No-1, 2, 3, 4,5,6
35. Do you have a child/children of your own?
No-l, 2, 3 ,4,5, 6, 7,8,9
36. What kind of pollutants are most concerning to you?
A. Inside-1, 2
B. Outside- 1,2
C. Food-l, 2, 3,4
37. Do you care about what poisons are?
Yes-l, 2, 3, 4,5, 6, 7,8,9
38. Are you aware of where you get poisons?
Yes- l,2, 3
39. Is your home older (before 1980) or newer?
Older- l, 2,3, 4,5
Newer-l, 2, 3,4
40. Are you interested in legislation on pollution/poisons?
Yes-l, 2, 3,4, 5, 6,7
41. How old are you?
42. Where do you live currently?
-St. Paul 3
43. What is your major?
-applied econ x4
-Spanish and Communications
44. Do you have a job? What is it?
-Web Development Coordinator
-Barista/ working with adults with disabilities
- bank teller, but I just got promoted to a new position for a call center rep
-Computer lab attendant and Marketing Intern for a General contracting firm
45. What hobbies or activities do you enjoy?
-going to gym, figure skating, reading, socializing, playing piano, hiking, fencing
-reading, vollyball, hiking, card games, and swimming
-golf, skiing, flying
-basketball, baseball, finances
- camping, canoing, backpacking, painting, reading
- camping, golf, sports of any kind, cheerleading/dance team
-Basketball, golf, football, watching all sports, music
-golf, reading, concerts, socializing, football, volleyball
46. What is your view of euthanasia?
-I think it's okay when there is no hope of recovery
-It depends on the situation, and the views of the entire family
-not sure x3
- depends in the situation, but the whole family should be involved
47. Why are you for or against euthanasia?
-I believe in the idea of mercy
-I'm conflicted about it, some of the cases I've heard are clear where the person wouldn't consent.
-no one has the right to kill someone if they want they can do it on there own conscince.
- I believe there is no clear cut right or wrong on this issue +1
48. Have you thought about a living will?
-Yes, I have one in the works
- yes, but I don't have one +1
49. Do you know how to get one?
-Yes, my everyone in my family is a lawyer
-I havn't heard how
50. Does your family know your views on life sustaining treatment?
Yes- 1, 2
51. On a scale of 1 to 5 (5 being most familiar) how well do you know
science fiction films such as The Matrix, Bicientenial Man, Blade
52. How often to you follow news about scientific topics (scale of 1 to
5, 5 being often)?
53. Do your morals and ethics help you make a choice about certain
scientific research topics?
Yes- l, 2, 3,4, 5,6,7,8
54. The most important scientific topic for me is
-genetic disease identification
-World climate change and preservation.
stem cell research
- evironment/ development
-Stem cell research
- cancer research
55. How much does the media (film, TV, news) influence your decisions?
(scale of 1 to 5, 5 being a huge influence).
2-l, 2, 3,4, 5, 6
56. What are your feelings on genetic manipulation?
-I doing like it--it should be the child's decision or a personal decision, not the parents'
-It depends entirely on context, it's only when it's gone through without very much focus on the consequences that it turns out wrong.
- context is very important
57. What do you know about tracing DNA and genes (ie. electrophoresis).
-I know a lot about the procedure.
-I know quite a bit.
-not much x6
58. If there was one thing you could genetically alter (e.g. intelligence,
height, weight, eye color, hair color, etc.) what would it be?
-I would want my hair to change color and texture every few weeks without having to do anything.
-I have no idea.
-no idea +1
-wouldnt want change
-Nothing at all x3
59. If there was a way to prevent genetic diseases and it involved stem cell
research and cloning, would you want it?
Yes-l, 2, 3,4
Not sure-1, 2
-If it didn't invlolve the destroying of embryonic stem cells.
60. What genetic diseases (cancer, Parkinson's, etc) are you most worried
about in your family?
-cancer, parkensens, diabieties
61. Have you ever used a tanning bed before?
62. If so, what was your reason for using one (i.e. vacation, tan lines, just wanted a nice tan)?
-vacation (once) friend has a tanning bed +1
63. Have you ever been severely burned in the sun or in a tanning bed? How many times?
- lots - I have fair skin and was easily burned- but nothing really painful
64. For those who answered yes, did you know the risks involved w/using a tanning bed?
65. For those who answered yes to using a tanning bed, how often did you per week?
- only done it once
- maybe 2-3 times/week for 2 months
66. How should audiences behave during a speech?
-at least make it look like you're paying attention
- be attentive and quiet, not talking to those next to you
-attentive and quite, and make up some good questions
67. List things that speakers need to understand about the audience before they give a speech.
- people will have different opinions than you
- not everyone is going to be interested in the topic you chose, so try to pull in different interesting facts that they may pick up on and at least be interested in
-they need to know what type of genre they will be speaking to
68. What should we (classmates) do in order to have better speeches in presentation #2?
-try to be as comfortable, energetic as possible
- make the visuals entertaining and colorful - interesting
-visuals will help out a lot
69. How should speakers use pathos and ethos?
- asking questions to make people consider their logical and ethical choices is a good way to use pathos and ethos, I think
70. How can we conclude our speech for audiences to remember it?
- leave them with something to think about
- make a bold statement