Blog Prompt 9

-My second review is for Goal 1: Eradicate Extreme Hunger and Poverty. The project was done by Jason, Maria, and Isabelle. The first thing that drew my attention was the opening picture, it connected me to the project due to simple emotional response. The slide design was layed out effectively which is always a plus in my mind.

-The statistics (23% of people living in Ethiopia survive on less than one dollar a day) and also the background infomation showed the group had a deep knowledge with the research they did.

-The corportations who are helping were interesting to listen to. For example, the World Bank is helping the country by funding for new or repaired roadways. This is in an effort to sitmulate the economy by allowing for farther goods travel. Overall the knowledge was interesting and useful.

-When the group connected to the desgined environment, that shows an ability to go past the requirements in order to make the grade. A great presentation deserving a great grade.

Blog Prompt 9

Blog Prompt 8

-My first critical review will be on Goal 4: Reduce Child Mortality in the Honors section. Immediately, when I viewed the slides, I was struck by the supremely symbolic background to the slides. The color black was an entirely approriate decesion due to the shocking nature of the facts presented. Along the same line, the images shown fit the presentation well, they changed from being dramatic to hopeful alongside the presentation.

-Very detailed background information in the region of focus, which was Ethiopia. The corporations that have been helping the area were all well chosen, plus the website that donates a mosquito net when you play their game was a great connection.

-As a final note, even though the group ran into some trouble trying to make their video work for the class, they wer able to improvise when they needed to. This shows a thourogh eunderstanding of the research with an abiltiy to relate that knowledge to the class without the need for an aid of sorts. Overall, the MDG Goal 4 project was very good, in my opinion.

Three Cover Designs

1) The main idea that inspired the first cover is a combination of a common school crossing sign and the now "infamous" No Child Left Behind Act. It concentrates on the fact that while the purpose of the bill was to create equal eductation, some children are being left out. Some have been given passing grades when they needed more help and others have probably just been eliminated from the system altogether. Something needs to be done in order to achieve the Universal Education goal.

2) "If you build it, they will come," describes the second cover design. It focuses on the need for strong and secure buildings that can be used as schools. If there is no building to have school in, I think that it would be hard to teach basic grammar sklls or math problems. If we can find a way to design a portable, easy-to-build structure, then we would be providing a safe place for kids and adults to work towards their goals.

3) The last cover is centered around the idea that universal education cannot be possible without an intimate knowledge of how to read. If you bring a building into a foreign country to serve as a school, that's great, but there has to be some knowledge of basic skills for the kids to learn. If a child can't read, school might not fulfill their needs to become educated. If nothing else happens, the children of the world need to get better education regarding basic skills like reading and mathematics.

UN Goal (3).jpg

Image 2

UN Goal 2 (2).jpg

Image 1

UN Goal 2 (1).jpg

Designs for Project

Photoshop hasn't been working on my computer for the past couple of days. I am resorting to calling in the calvary (Geek Squad). Hopefully, they can help me while at the same time save me time. If not, then they will resume their role of tech-language spewing posers, in my humble idea of the world.

Documentation/ Presentation Styles

-Our groups Millenium Development Goal is to promote the idea that by 2015, children will be able to acheive a full session of primary schooling. To present the research involved in this goal, one must think from the viewpoint of the student to obtain the correct forrum. On the Graphis website, there is an index that shows the work of new and developing designers. The ideas that present themselves when looking over some of the works shown have begun to shape what will be a graphical approach to the presentation.
http://www.graphis.com/annuals/new_talent.php?view=spread&id=18&page=3

-Although some ideas can just spring from the blue into one's head, which is how I discovered the next idea. The basic concept revolves around the presentation as following a "virtual tour" of a school plan. Each idea would be presented in the context of a different classroom or tupe of class (mathematics=facts and statistics and social studies= ideas for the future). As each succesive point is made clear, the school building is brought closer and closer to completion. The final plan resembles the past, present, and future of primary education in the region. This idea is heavily dependant upon the ability to seperate existing facts into distinct groups, which could present a problem in some areas. More thought will be needed in order to make this plan a reality.
http://www.graphis.com/annuals/new_talent.php?view=spread&id=19&page=1

A final way to present the research would be to present using a visually apealing concept with a strong sense of graphical connection from one page to the next. This method allows the presentation to flow from one page to the next with little interuption in the flow of the whole work.
http://www.graphis.com/annuals/design.php?view=spread&id=125&page=4

Time and Decay

decay.jpg

Phenomena

sun.jpg

Clockwork

clockwork-man-head.jpg

Effects of the Built Environment

-I would have to say that as an idea and a concept, the architecture that surrounds me has had a definite affect on me. All you have to do is take a look at some of the ideas that are contained in Clockworks, Phenomena, and Oppositions for you to be able to see that there has been a lasting effect on my individual self.

-The idea of Clockwork is represented in my self-image due to circumstances in which my emotions can change throughout the day depending on various factors. Such factors include things like my position in relevance to my home, the amount of sleep I have had in the comfort of my room, and whether or not I currently reside in a room designed to hold attention or let it roam as it wishes. These factors themselves are just a portion of the various triggers my mind copes with during a typical day. When I wake up, there is the longing to just hit the snooze button and forget that the school exists. Usually, after the initial groggy debate, I head off towards the great University to sit through lectures of varying degrees of interest to me. After class, I will either head home or to work. The experiences during the day leave me wishing to hop into bed and ignore the homework, but somehow, the work gets done, if only at some wee morning hour. The final step is to sleep the night away until the alarm rings and the cycle begins yet again. At least there is a weekend to look forward to…

-The word Phenomenon conjures ideas of specters and the unexplainable, but it can also be used to describe any event that can be explained or witnessed by the human mind. Phenomena that I can say have influenced my views have included things like, moving into the new house, breaking a personal 800 meter run record, and doing good on a test (the feeling of satisfaction). These items can have a change on the world, have a specific length of time, and don’t necessarily affect anyone else. While not altogether architectural in nature, the Phenomena can or have had a large impact on the outlook of this and perhaps other minds.

-Oppositions should definitely have an affect on me. For example, any building I have ever experienced in my lifetime has always been affected by the opposition between Gravity and Movement. The whole building is designed to respond to movement across the different planes of gravity (stairs, support structures, ceilings) and because the building is designed in a specific fashion, people can only interact in specific ways. The opposition of Climate and Enclosure brings up another good point. This is anything that is built must, in some way at some time, break apart. Whether it is a car rusting away or a building caving in on itself, the end result is the same, nature always wins. You must come to terms with the idea that the building that you leave behind as a legacy will surely and without fail, crumble to the ground. This brings me to my last opposition, the opposition between permanence and entropy. Again, this is saying that objects will fail after a certain length of time. So when designing a building, you are not only facing budgets, other designs, and the client, but also the simple idea of time. Time is both an asset and a hindrance to a designer.

http://www.huxter.org/dwfun/clockwork-man-head.jpg
http://home.centurytel.net/Arkcite/jpg_files/gfcombo3.jpg
http://www.bronwen.net/blog_pix/swiftbldg.jpg

Help

children_holding_hands_around_the_world.gif

Apply

apply.jpg