« I'm going to be honest, this is a very unorganized post | Main | Eco-Feminism »

Sustainability

I don’t know what the prompt is this week because I’m not really sure where to find it, so I’m just going to rant about stuff that is really hard and probably impossible to change. I’ll choose sustainability. What is sustainability you may ask? I’m reading a book entitled, Endgame right now. The book’s main focus is to force the reader to question their beliefs about civilization and society. Do we live in a sustainable culture or civilization? He defines sustainability later on in the book, he writes, “If you hyper exploit your surroundings you will deplete them and die; the only way to survive in the long run is to give back more than you take.? Is that something our civilization does? No, we do nothing of the sort. Our world is getting sicker by the day from the copious amounts of poisons we put back into it. We always take, take, take but we rarely give back and what we do is usually degraded and polluted. What I’m trying to explain to you is that if we go by the defininition of ‘sustainability’ that is given in Endgame we will die. The only way to stop this from happening is to revert to more primitive ways of life. It could mean no cars, no oil, no electronics, whatever it is we should make this shift soon. If we don’t I think we can all agree what we know in the back of our minds, sometime in the near future civilization will fall. I can’t say how long this will take, but from estimates it sounds like we will have depleted the worlds stocks of oil in about twenty years. I can’t think of anything that doesn’t run on oil. Sure we could maybe get by on wind power or solar power, but those devices don’t just pop up. You need energy to produce these things and god help us if we even try to switch to coal power. This is a thought people don’t always like to acknowledge, it sits on the back burner as people live for the present. We won’t be here forever, but as a species we can last longer if we respect our land base. Hope everyone has a fabulous day!