May 2011 Archives

Digital Focus Reflection.

| No Comments

Project Focus/Title: My digital focus project consisted of photographic images that were affixed to serving platters to form a wall piece. The piece is currently untitled.

Size/Format: roughly 3x2.5 feet from end to end, top to bottom (5 separate platters, forming one larger piece this size).

Conceptual Ideas/Thematic Subjects Investigated: In this project i visually explored an old, abandoned cabin that belongs to extended family. My photographs are meant to show this investigation in a way that is both personal to me and my family but remain relatable to a larger audience. I placed these images, with text from old books, on well-used platters from a thrift store. The piece comes together with a worn feeling of memory while still questioning the space's back story.

Work Process: my process consisted of photographing, editing, printing and acrylic varnishing onto old platters from a thrift store. I also obtained books from a thrift store, which I went through and took phrases from and also varnished to the platters. My major problem was the acrylic varnish, which I liked, with the exception of it creating a sort of bubbled surface on larger images. It seemed to turn out okay in the end, with practice, but I still feel it could have been a bit better and less bubbly with further practice. If I were to do this project again, I feel I would still use acrylic varnish, but practice further and try to figure out why exactly it bubbled and how to stop this.

Final Craft: In the end, I feel my project came together well. If I were to do this again, I may use a semi or satin gloss varnish instead of matte, but I otherwise rather liked my turnout.

Display: Ideally, this piece would be displayed to a public audience through installation on a museum wall.

Continuation: If I were to continue to develop this work, I would like to expand by making prints of other images I took in making these five, matting and framing them, and displaying them with the wall piece.

Critique 5.

| No Comments

This week I have completed a couple of my final pieces and plan on completing the rest of them and trying the layout of the platters in various ways so that I can be sure which composition is going to work best for the final product. I am going to have to be careful with my larger pieces to make sure I don't get a ton of air bubbles, but it looks like the smaller ones will not be a problem. Also, if there are air bubbles in the larger final pieces (since it seems almost unavoidable because I am not putting them on a completely flat surface), I don't think it will be too detrimental to the final product. However, I will definitely do my best to keep them to a minimum. So basically, this week I am just going to keep working on my final product.

Critique 4.

| No Comments

This week I printed my finished images. I ended up printing them multiple times, since the first time they came out a bit dark and I needed to lighten them up. So after they were lightened they ended up printing well. I also picked up the acrylic varnish and did a couple of test prints, which taught me that I need to be really careful with letting the bottom layer of varnish dry before putting the top sealant layer on on. If you don't let it dry, you end up with air bubbles. I also plan on beginning my final pieces this week.

About this Archive

This page is an archive of entries from May 2011 listed from newest to oldest.

April 2011 is the previous archive.

Find recent content on the main index or look in the archives to find all content.

Pages

Powered by Movable Type 4.31-en