« Victim Shot Twice, May be Drug-related: Police | Main | U.S. Looks to Help Lead International Climate and Energy Talks »

Big Lake Man Suspected in Abduction and Shooting Commits Suicide

A Big Lake man has shot himself in the head Saturday after the suspected killing of his girlfriend’s son that resulted in the abduction of the woman and a car chase down Interstate 94.

Peter Tek, 42, of Big Lake, Minn., is believed to have shot and killed Savang Sath, 27, his girlfriend’s son, before abducting his girlfriend and fleeing from police. The chase ensued down a 2-mile stretch of the I-94 for one hour before Tek released his girlfriend and shot himself, said Sherburne County Sheriff Joel Brott.

Traffic had to be detoured around the scene for about two hours, police said. (Star Tribune)

Tek’s girlfriend suffered head injuries and is hospitalized, according to police. Tek’s brother, Cheth Tek, said that Peter Tek was divorced and had been living with his girlfriend and her son for four years in Big Lake.

According to Cheth Tek, Peter and his girlfriend, as well as another unidentified female, had got into an argument after returning to the family’s home at 1010 Eagle Lake Rd. from a party early Saturday morning.

Authorities said that a disagreement took place between Tek and Sath, which is when Tek is believed to have shot Sath twice. After holding the two women hostage for about 20 minutes, Tek abducted his girlfriend and began driving down Interstate 94 in a Lincoln Navigator.

Police were called shortly after the abduction. They found Sath’s body and were alerted to the type of car that Tek was driving.

Wright County officials spotted Tek’s car about 15 minutes after the alert at a gas station in Monticello. As County officials closed in on Tek, he got into the Lincoln Navigator and fled towards I-94, with deputies still chasing him.

After an hour had passed, Tek eventually pulled over to the side of the freeway. The police negotiated with Tek for an hour before he let his girlfriend go. Tek then shot himself in the head, dying immediately.

According to the Pioneer Press, a .45-caliber Taurus semiautomatic handgun that was found in the vehicle matched the shell casings from where Sath had been killed.

An investigation is ongoing and autopsies will be performed next week.