Processing the School of Agriculture Collection

| 0 Comments

One of the first collections we brought up to be processed was the School of Agriculture collection. When we brought it up it consisted of 16 collection numbers: 343, 344, 345, 346, 347, 610, 618, 624, 626, 629, 666, 799, 983, 988, 992, and 2010-0041, in addition to all the materials from the print collection. There was about 35.6 cubic feet of material, in total, prior to processing.

The School of Agriculture collection deals with the high school that was created by the University. It deals primarily with the school that existed in St. Paul, although later on different schools were erected in different cities throughout the state. The collection spans over 100 years, extending from the 1850's to the 1970's. The materials span a wide range of topics including: a list of colors of the graduating classes, handwritten ledgers of records from the school's various clubs, commencement programs, and yearbooks, to name a few.

I started off by surveying the collection, looking at all of the various collections and trying to understand what made up each individual collection. During this process I filled out the survey forms we'd created to explain the physical condition and types of materials found in each section. The next step was synthesizing all that information into a processing plan for bringing all of the collections together into one. It ended up that most of the individual collections contained one fairly specific type of material-and that was how we ended up defining series. I identified what would be 7 series the materials would be sorted into: History, Correspondence, Club Files, Miscellaneous, Student Projects, Publications, and Scrapbooks. From this point, one of our students took over and physically processed the materials, ordered the boxes, and listed the materials, by folder, in Excel. I took over from there and finished up the EAD formatting. As it stands now, this collection is currently waiting for the finishing touches before it becomes available online.

With all the physical processing done, the collection now consists of 29 cubic feet of material synthesized into one collection. The student and I together have spent about 35 and three-quarters hours from the initial surveying to the EAD formatting. Approximately 30 and a half of those hours were spent doing the physical processing, rearranging, and box listing.

class colors.JPG
class colors closeup.JPGcomencement 2 covers.JPGcomencement 2 .JPGgopher literary society closeup.JPGyearbook 56.JPGyearbook 56 inside.JPGyearbook 26 bike closeup.JPG

Leave a comment

Recent Entries

Project Completion
The project processed the records and papers of forty-seven unique collections amassed from a 120 accessions to the archives…
Finding Aids Online
Here is a list of updated finding aids that are now available on the University Archives website as of June…
The Timeline
It has been quite some time since the last blog post, our apologies. There was Christmas break when we struggled…