From UDC's Humble Intern

Photo on 2011-10-03 at 10.51 #3.jpg

Hello! My name is Kevin Cunningham, and I have the honor and privilege to serve an internship/practicum at the U's Digital Conservancy during the summer of 2012. I am currently completing my MLS at the University of Wisconsin-Madison, where I have focused my studies on academic and digital libraries. A recovering Luddite, I am fascinated by the intersection of traditional librarianship and the digital explosion of the 21st century. I've also long been obsessed with the scholarly process, and I have a strong interest in helping scholars maximize the research tools at their disposal. During my internship, I will be performing a range of duties, from scanning and uploading documents to the UDC, to creating a data management plan workshop. I have already completed almost a quarter of my required hours, and it seems like I've barely gotten started. Looking forward to the rest of the summer!

They have an espresso machine in the UMN Library? I never saw that, but all the times I was there I was teaching cataloging for Minitex in the sub-sub basement, where you feel like you're in a cave in the Bluffs over the Mississippi ...

Hi Kevin. Can I ask what types of documents you are working with? I'm based in UK and our National Archives Office has recently completed a large digital conservation project (www.nationalarchives.gov.uk) of birth certificates etc, which has been a real bonus for amateur historians and geneologists.

It is great when hearing that no matter the great amounts of work and obligations, so as responsibilities during your internship, you are not left by the desire for work and accomplishing your goals! I am taking a break from an internship this summer, but am really kind of regretting about that! Wish you great rest of the summer!