Media Literacy

Magazine Advertisement Lesson Plan.docx

CG Final 4.jpg

Lesson Plan

Focus: To recreate an advertisement that is misleading in a more realistic and viewer friendly way.

Objectives:
a. Students will analyze the elements in media arts such as image, sound, space, time, motion and sequence, (6.1.1.2.1).
b. Students will develop an artistic intent, including how audience and occasion impact analyze and presentation choices, (6.3.1.2.3)
c. Students will analyze and interpret a variety of media artworks using established criteria, (6.4.1.2.1).
Motivational Resources:
Students will be introduced to the lesson by choosing an advertisement from magazines brought in and analyze its meaning. Also, a PowerPoint will be shown for more magazine ad examples and analysis.

Art Materials:
Provided for students:
10 cameras
Computers Lab and Printers
Printing Paper
Scissors
Glue
Student's need to bring:
Poster board

Photo editing example 1

Photo editing example 2

Animation Station

Cassandra Udovich
Digital Methods in Art Education
11/3/11

Lesson Plan: Animation Station
Grade Level: 8
Time needed: 4 Class periods
Focus: Students will create an interactive environment which involves pixilation and chalkboard animation.
Objectives:
A. Students will demonstrate use of a variety of tools, materials and techniques in media arts based on the characteristics of the hardware and software. (6.1.2.2.1)
B. Students will analyze the meaning and functions of media arts. (6.1.3.2.2)
C. Students will analyze the elements in media arts such as image, sound, space, time, motion and sequence. (6.1.1.2.1)
D. Students will participate in critique by presenting their animation to the class.

Motivational Resources
• Power Point explaining the process of chalkboard animation.
• Students will see professional and amateur examples of animation.
• Students will have access to the textbook Beginners Guide to Animation: Everything You Need to Know to Get Started by. Mary Murphy

Art Materials:
• Chalk (white and colored)
• Chalkboard (may be portable)
• Eraser
• Wet Rag
• Storyboard
• Digital Camera (must have a large memory card)
• Digital Camera Stand
• Photoshop
• Garageband

Introduction to the Lesson:
Animation is defined as " A graphic representation of drawings to show movement within those drawings". Through a series of pictures a story can be told. Some people say that the first animated feature film was created by Winsor McCay called "Sinking of the Lisitania" in 1918. Prior to that ambitious artists would take photographs one picture at a time which started around 1910. It is said that Walt Disney's Steamboat Willie was the first animation that incorporated sound to animated movies. The first full-length animated feature film was Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs in 1937. Animations have evolved drastically, especially with introducing the movie Toy Story produced in 1995. Today there are many forms of animation. Clay, paper cut-out, whiteboard, chalk, sand and pixilation are other resources available to create an animation.

Class 1: Introduction: The students will have the opportunity to view amateur and professional animations via Youtube and Vimeo. Once class begins students will watch videos for inspiration. Students will be working with chalkboard animation. With chalkboard animation the student will be asked to work in groups. Groups may be 2-3 students, ad students will be asked to create storyboards. For this assignment students must construct a building on the chalkboard. Once the student creates the building they must go from their 3D form to enter the 2D chalkboard animation. Students will be asked to create an environment and an obstacle. The student must solve the problem or escape the obstacle and re-enter the scene in closing as a 3D character. Students WILL NOT BE ALLOWED TO USE WEAPONS OR DIE IN THEIR VIDEO. All students will participate be either taking photographs or entering the scene. Storyboards will be due for review by the instructor at the end of class period 1.

Class 2: Students will work on their animations while in class today. Each group of students will need chalk, chalkboard, eraser, wet rag, digital camera, camera stand, and storyboard. Students will need to place their camera on the camera stand and prepare to start their animation. Each digital camera should have their photo size default to small. The Digital camera should also be on the "AI" setting. Students will take pictures of little movements to create their short film. The instructor will be available to answer any technical issues.

Class 3: Students will upload their projects onto Photoshop. Their photos will then be organized and condensed into a smaller file. Students will then upload their video project to Garageband and add sounds or music to their video as they see fit.

Class 4: Students will enter class with their finished work, and share their animations with their peers. Students will be encouraged to talk about color choices, techniques, triumphs, and complications with their project. This in class critique will allow the opportunity for all students to review their peers and take note of many techniques and story outcomes.

Evaluation/Assessment: Students created a short chalkboard animation with sound through digital media. Students will assess their work as well as their classmates with in progress critique.

Discipline Based Art Education:
Art Production: Students made a chalkboard animation
Art History: Student learned about the origin or animation and how they may create their own.
Art Criticism: Students were asked to participate in a critique
Aesthetic: The students learned about animations and textures , and how to use a digital camera.

Bibliography

Meyer, Paul. N.p., n.d. Web. 9 Nov. 2011. Path: http://www.fi.edu/fellows/fellow5/may99/History/history.html.

"Sinking of the Lusitania 1918 Animation"
N.p., n.d. Web. 10 Nov. 2011. Path: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AYKdXABWaFg&feature=share.

"Amazing Chalk board animation!!"
N.p., n.d. Web. 10 Nov. 2011. Path: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w8s-BiX6jhs&feature=share.

Murphy, Mary. Beginner's Guide to Animation: Everything you need to get started. New York: Watson-Guptil Publications, 2008. Print.

LP Dig Met.docx

How much Digital Media do you see a day?

How Community- Based Programs Can Reshape Teaching and Learning in the Age of Web 2.0
On page 80 of Interactions/Intersections: Art Education in a Digital Visual Culture, it states "New media and digital technology are increasingly embedded within the routines and textures of everyday life and the daily flow of mediated ideas, images and representations contribute to our changing and evolving perceptions of ourselves and the world around us (Hayes,2000). It's remarkable how much influence digital media has an effect on everyone's daily life. "According to a recent survey, over 70% of Canadian teens between 13-17 years of age regularily use social networking sites like Facebook or Myspace (TNS,2007). These users are contributing to digital culture whether they're aware or not, and my guess is even in America those statistics could be higher given our consumer beliefs as a society. It's important to teach students how important it is so be responsible when things are posted online. Once something is within a computer/internet source, it's there for life.
To further make my point as to how much we contribute to digital society, I will have a class assignment regarding the issue. Each student will have a "Digital Media Log". In this log students will be responsible to track how many hours a day they use the internet for social networking, research, online games, etc. Another part of the DML will be how much time is spent looking at digitally enhanced content. Examples of digitally enhanced content would be advertisements, picture jokes (quickmeme), etc. Students will also need to create their own example of digitally enhanced content. Lastly students will be expected to keep track of how much they put onto the internet regarding pictures, homework, blogs, how much time is spent on their cell phone, etc. This log will be a month long assignment to help students realize how much digital media they are associated with daily. Sometimes it's easy to take what you see on a daily base for granted and we need to educate one another on how to monitor our digital uses.

Sweeny, Robert W. Interactions/Intersections: Art Education in a Digital Visual Culture. Reston, VA: National Art Education Association, 2010. 80-81. Print.

Cyber Literacy in the Classroom

Cyber media Literacy Art Education

On page 63 of Interactions/Intersections: Art Education in a Digital Visual Culture, it states "To function in a techno economy and rapidly changing society, students need to engage in critical media literacy activities in order to become more informed consumers of cyber aesthetics." That quote speaks volumes to me regarding how as educators we need to make sure we keep kids up to date. Our world is becoming more dependent on digitally produced things at an alarming rate. Digital methods are not always a comfortable thing for students to explore who feel hesitant to work on computers. The important thing to keep in mind as educators is that we need to introduce different ideas constantly. Digital works should be critiqued regularly to keep students in touch with how unedited visual content differs. To incorporate this concept into my classroom I will present photographs that have been retouched, and their original form. Students will be asked to take a photograph outside of class. Once they have their image on a flash drive they will bring it into class for a work day. During their work day students will upload their photo into Photoshop and change things about their image. Students will have freedom to change what they wish whether that is altering shapes, changing colors, adding components etc. For critique students will be asked to present their before picture, followed by their before. The class will have open discussion to analyze different ways digital media can be shaped and manipulated. This will also be good practice to explore cyberaesthetics.

Sweeny, Robert W. Interactions/Intersections: Art Education in a Digital Visual Culture. Reston, VA: National Art Education Association, 2010. 63-64. Print.

Don't Mind if I do!

While I was researching inspirations for the classroom this week I stumbled upon a simple tool that can be helpful in any classroom. This tool is especially helpful in art classes because it's important to organize your thoughts. "Mind42.com" is a mind map tool that can be accessible anywhere. It's easy for students to customize their concepts and collaborate with one another. As individual artists we gain a stronger sense of concept when we have concrete ideas and can look at the little things making the big picture. This will be a good resource in any art class and will allow faster feedback from teacher to student. Students will be able to interact with their instructor virtually and expand on ideas outside of class and sketchbooks.
If I were to implement this resource into my class I would assign a group project. Each student would be represented by a color for the map. I would assign a key idea ex. animals. Once each group has their main idea each student in the group of 3-4 will be required to add 10 different ideas onto the concept map. Once the ideas are on the virtual concept map the instructor will approve and advance on the assignment. With the concept map in place each (individual) student will be asked to represent their topic (and map) with colored pencils based on how they see it. Group members will compare individual works and an in class critique would take place. It's interesting how creative minds can use the same literal ideas and turn it into completely different visions.

IRIAN Solutions Software, 2008. Web. 16 Nov. 2011. .

What's the Hype with Skype?

Personally I have never really caught on to the era of "Skype". Skyping is a face-to-face screen chat with anyone else who has a webcam and uses their service. As someone who resisted the urge to sign up for this service I now realize a greater value. If Skype were to be used with art education, there could be a greater connection with involving art from home. I'm not completely certain how all this could happen realistically, but for a moment let's imagine. Imagine if students were able to work on projects at home and Skype with other classmates their inspirations and ideas. For example, say two students have a drawing assignment where they have to collaborate. They would be able to share their images and ideas instantly with face time. Or one student can draw something, and they could basically play a game of "Guess Who" by describing different details of the sketch via Skype. Although this sounds complicated and slightly ridiculous I think it would be awesome. Even if a student stays home from school they can participate. This project idea would be best served as extra credit. So as a long time procrastinator on the topic of getting a Skype account, clearly it's time to share more with through cyberspace!

Skype Limited, 2011. Web. 16 Nov. 2011. .

Chalking up creativity

So that's what the babble's about

I've been hearing a lot of buzz about a website called "Art Babble". I feel like I'm constantly finding websites that could potentially be useful for Art Education, however Art Babble blows competition out of the water. There is so much useful specific information that I could use as an instructor, and a student could investigate. This website is very clear and easy to understand, but an important aspect is navigation. One feature in particular caught my eye, and this was the channels tab. Under channels anyone curious to research can find media relating to Abstract art, European Design, Fashion, Religion and Art, only to name a few. Art Babble is a great tool to keep things contemporary and clear while in class. If I were to use this website in curriculum I would have my students choose a channel and an artist. With one channel and one artist of their choice the student would be asked to compare and contrast two samples from those categories. For students it's important to connect the dots and see how artists and artwork relate to one another, but how they can be vastly different.

http://www.artbabble.org/
Art Babble. Ed. Robert Stein. Indianapolis Museum of Art, n.d. Web. 3 Nov. 2011. .

Let's make an animation!

Blog:

10 steps to Paper Animation

Let's make a paper cut out animation! To get started you will need the following supplies:
• Animation stand
• Digital camera
• Paper cut outs (artists choice)
• Plexi glass
• (8) 1" blocks
• Computer with Photoshop capabilities
• Note your lighting conditions when shooting

Step 1:
You'll need a base to set your scene onto. An animation stand is a great tool to use for this project.

Step 2:
For this step you'll need your digital camera. The camera will be attached to the animation stand for stability.

Step 3:
Center the digital camera on the animation stand pointing downward. Make sure that the camera will take pictures in the smallest memory setting. It's also important to view the frame with no zoom to start out with.
Step 4:
Gather paper materials for your project. As the creator you have creative freedom. Your project may have a theme, it could be random, or your could incorporate 3D aspects.

Step 5:
Your animation station will need a platform. You should have (8) 1" blocks. Place two blocks (stacked on top of each other) on each corner of your animation stand. This platform creates a raised surface once the plexi glass is placed on top.

Step 6:
Creating a background is completely up to the artist. It is recommended that your background remains underneath the plexi glass. These pieces will stay in the same place.

Step 7:
Now your video is ready for action! Place your desires characters onto the plexi glass to create a story.

Step 8:
With each frame movement take a picture with your digital camera. Some important tips:
• Be sure to use the digital camera on the manual setting. Flash photography may alter your video quality.
• You're in charge of your characters. This means that you can take a picture with very small movements one character at a time. Otherwise you can have many parts moving at the same time within a frame. Small movements and many pictures create a more interesting video.

Step 9:
Upload all of your photos onto a computer. Photoshop is a helpful tool to organize and create your project.

http://www.adobe.com/designcenter/video_workshop/?id=vid0023

Just a bi-weekly thought

This week I discovered a great online tool for art education. EBSCO hosts an online data base where students, and teachers can view hundreds of images, concepts, architecture, publications, video clips, etc. I was impressed with the vast amount of information that was available on one site. From the "Colleges and Universities" tab, I was able to narrow down my search to specifically art. Once I got onto the page I could choose from Art & Architecture, Art Abstracts, Art Index, and a special feature involving exhibition colletions. When I looked into the "Art Full Text" tab I was able to narrow down my search even more so. I could research from over 600 periodicals that are dated from 1984 to today, along with peer-reviewed journals.
I was disappointed that I was not able to use their services for free. EBSCO has been a library resource for over 60 years, and they have a great selection of articles. Even if I was only able to use this resource for a free trial, the articles that I could use from this class would be very helpful. This got me thinking about other ways to use an online data base for classes. I recall someone in class mentioning an online resource where students can view museums on web cams. Along with that tool, I would also like to see more artist statements available online. I believe EBSCO would give students a greater understanding about how to talk about their work, and strengthen their ability to hold a conversation in critiques. It still surprises me in upper level art classes that some students can produce great work, yet have little to say constructivley about their own piece or classmates work.

http://www.ebscohost.com/academic/subjects/category/art

Recent Comments

• sbetty887@yahoo.com: I am agree with Betsy Hunt from the previous comment, read more
  • meganfowls@yahoo.com: A good and successful advertisement is something that requires both read more
  • Betsy Hunt: This would be a great exercise to do as an read more
  • Betsy Hunt: This is pretty interesting Cassie. I like the idea of read more
  • Betsy Hunt: Skype can be a great tool in the classroom. The read more
  • Betsy Hunt: Cassie, this does look like a good resource to have read more
  • Betsy Hunt: Cassie, yes online resources are great. There are many other read more
  • Betsy Hunt: You are correct about how much more accessible photography is read more
  • Betsy Hunt: Interesting site Cassie. Although this does cost money I think read more

Recent Assets

• CG Final 4.jpg
  • CG Final 3.jpg
  • CG Final 2.jpg
  • CG Final.jpg