What's the Hype with Skype?

Personally I have never really caught on to the era of "Skype". Skyping is a face-to-face screen chat with anyone else who has a webcam and uses their service. As someone who resisted the urge to sign up for this service I now realize a greater value. If Skype were to be used with art education, there could be a greater connection with involving art from home. I'm not completely certain how all this could happen realistically, but for a moment let's imagine. Imagine if students were able to work on projects at home and Skype with other classmates their inspirations and ideas. For example, say two students have a drawing assignment where they have to collaborate. They would be able to share their images and ideas instantly with face time. Or one student can draw something, and they could basically play a game of "Guess Who" by describing different details of the sketch via Skype. Although this sounds complicated and slightly ridiculous I think it would be awesome. Even if a student stays home from school they can participate. This project idea would be best served as extra credit. So as a long time procrastinator on the topic of getting a Skype account, clearly it's time to share more with through cyberspace!

Skype Limited, 2011. Web. 16 Nov. 2011. .

Skype can be a great tool in the classroom. The one thing that I have used it for on several occasions is for artist lectures. You can also do some interesting interactive projects in the classroom. You could have the students in two different rooms and have them make something in reaction to what is happening or being said in the other room. You will want to be careful having them skype at home. You want to make sure it is safe and that you have parent permission.

I am agree with Betsy Hunt from the previous comment, as Skype can be a great tool for conducting various webinars or face-to-face teacher-student aiding.I am sure that the opportunities that Skype offers are yet to be optimized.
London