'If there is any genocide in Sri Lanka it is by the LTTE' says Lord Naseby (By: Walter Jayawardhana)

Lord Naseby Lord Naseby, Conservative Peer and Chair of All Party Parliamentary Group on Sri Lanka said if there is any genocide in Sri Lanka it is by the Liberation Tigers of Tamil Eelam (LTTE) who hold civilian Tamils by force as a human shield in the war.

“This talk about genocide is rubbish. The only people who are causing genocide are the LTTE who are holding the civilians as a human shield,” he said when a LTTE propagandist in the audience charged the Sri Lanka government of genocide. Lord Naseby was referring to the Tamil civilians who are being held against their will as a human shield in the current war by the LTTE and who are being shot at by the LTTE when they attempt to escape on foot and by boat.

The British House of Lords member made this public statement , at a Forum discussion recorded in front of an audience , mostly consisting of British Tamil Forum members , at a studio in the Media House in Central London and broadcast by Press TV of Iran. A sympathetic labour member of Parliament to the Tamil movement in London , Jeremy Corbyn was the moderator of the show.

Labour Party Member of European Parliament Robert Evans, Suren Surendiran a spokesman of the LTTE front organization, the British Tamil Forum and Douglas Wickramaratne , President of the Sinhala Association of London were the other members of the discussion panel.

Lord Naseby further said , during the course of the discussion, international pressure should be brought on the LTTE to release all those civilians. He said no international pressure is necessary , as Robert Evans suggested, to declare a ceasefire , by the government. He said the Sri Lanka government is an elected government and it is the LTTE who must down its arms and surrender to bring the military conflict to an end.

The show had an ominous start when British Tamil Forum’s Suren Suthanthiran, said that a main grievance of the Tamils is that Sinhalese being the only official language . One of the Sri Lankan members of the audience pointed out Suren Surenthiran was making factually incorrect statements. He said in Sri Lanka , the Sinhalese Language and Tamil language with English are being used as official languages. Immediately responding Lord Naseby said the cry about Sinhalese language is very much dated as both Sinhalese and Tamil are used as official languages. Then Suren Suthanthiran said he was speaking about 1956.

From the audience: Why are you going back to 50 years. Is it to hoodwink? The part of the discussion on the language has been edited out when this was broadcast on . Wenesday March 11 by the Press TV.

The British Tamil Forum member Suren Suthanthiran faced an embarrassing situation when an English woman in the audience questioned about Child soldiers by the LTTE. The British Tamil Forum spokesman, in reply, kept on repeating “to whichever religion one belongs to it is wrong for one to kill another person” unskilfully evading the question. When the embarrassed moderator of the show Jeremy Corbyn, whose sympathies have been with the LTTE in the past, asked him for a specific reply for a straight question he was coming out with the same repetition turning the show into a comic show, participants commented. When a pro-LTTE woman from the audience said why question about child soldiers when so many thousands of Tamil children have been killed the reply was broadcast. She was not substantiating the statement.

It was very significant that the labour party MEP , Robert Evans was suggesting a Kosovo- Montenegro like solution for Sri Lanka at a brief moment of the discussion. But the pro-LTTE MP who has been repeating LTTE slogans in the past did not say how the LTTE is going to form a state from a 50 square kilometre size area from which they fight now nor did anybody asked him that question. Its population , kept under the threat of gun, are constantly running away from the area at the risk of life, according to reports.

But Lord Naseby immediately reacted to Robert Evans by telling that the vast majority of Tamils living in Sri Lanka do not want a two state solution. And he said when the British were seeking a solution for Northern Ireland they did not consider a two state solution.

The British Tamil Forum spokesman said they wanted a two state solution for Sri Lanka ’s problem.

Sinhala Association President Douglas Wickramaratne said that it is ridiculous people talk about a Tamil homeland in Sri Lanka since 60 percent of the Tamils live outside the Northern and Eastern provinces of the country. He said over two thousand years, Sri Lanka has been one unitary country governed under one king.

He further said since1985 Sri Lanka has been negotiating with the Tamil Tigers. He said during this time the LTTE have used every ceasefire to rearm themselves and prolong the war . Wickramaratne said a duely elected government under a democratic system has every right to suppress terrorism hurting the people.

A paediatrician who did not announce her name and spoke from the audience said she has had personal experience of dealing with the parents of child soldiers who have left Northern and Eastern provinces just because they feared that their children would be kidnapped by the LTTE. She said children are being kidnapped for war by the LTTE as UNESCO reports very clearly show.

More than 50 Sri Lankans who expressed that they wanted to participate in the discussions by email did not even had the courtesy of receiving a reply. An organizer at the studio said there had been too many emails to be replied to. But all prominent British Tamil Forum members were there to be seated and allowed to ask their propagandist type questions. Ultimately, they did not make any results since neither the questions nor their representative’s replies failed to make any impressions. (EOM)

by: Walter Jayawardhana

Dr Palitha Kohona Reminds MIA to stick with what she is good at it

Yesterday I was watching Travis Smiley Show and I must say that Dr Palitha Kohona Foreign Secretary reminded MIA to stick with what she is really good at it which is Music. As a musician I don't see a "WOW" factor on MIA's music or lyrics that she writes but I will still respect her work and effort as an artist. MIA's father is an active LTTE supporter who also happened to one of the earliest members of the LTTE group. Going back to what MIA emphasize which was genocide in Sri Lanka, Do we really have such an atmosphere in Sri Lanka?

As Dr Kohona mentioned, those who claim this Genocide in Sri Lanka should come to Colombo or any other Government control area and get an experience on how we live life in Sri Lanka. Every leading school in Sri Lanka has Tamil Medium classes. In that case, if so called Genocide exists how come leading Schools like Royal College etc has Tamil Medium class rooms which allow Sri Lankan Tamil population to have equal opportunity. As a fellow Royalist who shared my high school life with many of my Tamil friends, It is really frustrating to see people like MIA using situation in Sri Lanka to label majority of Sri Lankan population as evil.

You can listen to full interview at Tavis Smiley Show.

Sri Lanka Is The World's Best Performing Stock Market

As a Sri Lankan I always think about what a country Sri Lanka would have been if we didn't have the war. And this is a small example that shows the potential of my great nation.

Join Our Circle to Help our Soldiers

Our Circle is an organization built by group of trusted friends (We should give our thanks to the founders of Our Circle) who are determine to help raise funds, supplies and support for those in need. We all know that Sri Lankan Army is on the verge of a Victory. But we must not forget that grate victory comes along with a great sacrifisation. Our soldiers have donated their youth and life on behalf of us and our future to protect our nation from LTTE terrorists. I think it's time for us to take care of them. If you like to be a part of Our Circle and help out in anyway you can, Please join Our Circle group in Facebook. You will be able to see current projects and detail description about Our Circle.

Defeating Terrorists - Thank You Wall Street Journal

Thank you Wall Street Journal. Today I was reading the Opinion Journal Section of the Wall Street Journal and saw the following article with the heading of Defeating Terrorists. This is an eye opening article to the world population as well as to our Sri Lankan journalist. Specially those who said nothing can be gain from war against LTTE terrorist organization.

Sri Lankan Army, This song is for you

Even though I was born in Colombo, I can say that I was born with the war. My parents saw how the war started and they always wished that it would end at least during their kids life time. But thanks to our brave soldiers, those wishers are no longer just wishes. Sri Lankan Army has brought those wishes to reality and given the freedom to Sri Lanka under one flag. Our fellow Sri Lankan brothers have sacrificed their lives to provide a better future for us and our kids.

As nation we have always been supportive for our brave soldiers. But its time to show our gratitude more than ever to men and women wearing uniform to protect our island from LTTE.

Thanks to Ranidu I got the opportunity to show that gratitude by writing a song for our brave soldiers. And I am glad to hear that all the proceeds from this song will be given to Sri Lankan Army "Api Wenuwen Api" Foundation.

Dumma's Wedding, the day I first saw...

Thanks Dumma, I guess I should thank Sujatha too, cause if she didn't agree to get married to Dumma, wonder what might have happen and I may never see her in my life... but I cant forget Kani and Nana, for the first introduction... so all you people I am so thankful for all you guys.

She was so simple, so charming, so adorable, and I couldn't believe such a beauty exists in this world. Not only that her soothing voice made me so relax, I felt like I was floating... Entire wedding I was not sure where I was and what I was doing, the way she handled her self showed that she is a class of her own...

Ooh God, How can I leave this Beautiful life and go back to merciless Winter...

If you haven't been to Heritance Ahungalla, you should try sometime. Specially if you are thinking a quick getaway from Colombo... enough of that... we had a awesome time at Heritance. Played some good tap rugby and had some few drink while enjoying the nice cool breeze of the coast. It was simply fantastic, more than anything hanging out with my buddies Nana, Ranidu & Kumi, Kani... was priceless....

Had a blast at Dio's place...

Dio was my first friend in year 1at Royal... actually we became very close friend after blew my skull with a stone. It was so nice to meet uncle Nimal, Aunty and Dio's sister after a long time... I think myself and Nana got hammered but it was blast... if you don't believe check this out
I don't know if should go back to US, to tell you the truth I really dont feel like going back...

Straight from Airpot to Ranidu's Wedding

yesterday I landed on the little island we call Sri Lanka but I call it my home and its paradise,

let me tell you I had a good time in the flight... I got a entire row to sleep from Chicago to London then I met my friends in London and we had a blast in the flight... but the best part is I landed around 11.00am and got home within a hour I went to Ranidu's wedding... It was very special day for me too, because I was so happy to see my bro standing on the Poruwa along with Kumi and starting their new life together... ok, lets not get emotional now...

As usual Kani welcome me with glass of rum and coke... after couple of drinks I really felt the jet lag... but it was a blast, Congrats to Ranidu & Kumi, all the best for the new beginning...

Grandma, I am going to miss you so much...

She is the best grandma that anyone could ever have or ever imagine off in their life. Having both my parents work during the day I grew up with my grandmother who nurtured me and made a great impact on my life. I always thought that I had to mom's. During the day it was Grandma who took care of me and my brother with her down poring love. I remember during my junior school time, after school I used to get off at my grandma's place from my school van and there she was waiting in front of the gate expecting me. Not only that she had already prepared the best meal you could ever have in your life. But with all the above my Grandma had a hidden agenda in her mind which was "how can I get this kid to start working homework and studies as soon as possible".

My grandmas was very keen on education, she always wanted us to study hard and do the best. During exam times she used to do everything in her power to get a peaceful surrounding at her place for us to enjoy studying. One funny story was that one time my aunt visited us during an exam time and as usual I happened to be at my grandmothers place studying for one of my exams. My grandmother knew that if my aunt (my grand mothers youngest daughter) stays longer, I will not study enough for the exam. We all know that my grandma cooks delicious food specially when my aunt comes for a visit. But on that she was taking a step back on the cooking idea and was trying to tell her daughter to leave simply because it was going to rain and she thought my aunt should go home before the rain. This shows how seriously she thought about our education.

There are many memories like this, and every single time I remind them, my tears fallout because today I got to know that she passed away by saying good by to all of us. I still remember month ago when I spoke to her over the phone, she was so excited to see me in December. But I was not lucky enough see her for the last time in my life. Grandma I love you so much and I am going to miss you so much and I wish in my next life you will be my grandma again and wait for until i get off from my school bus. Grandma may you attain Nibbana.

A lost for IT world but more than that he is my best friend's dad...

My condolences go to Sriya aunty, my best friend Nayana, and Samitha Aiya. When I got the call about 3.00 in the morning to hear this sad news I didn’t believe it. Samaranayake uncle was fun loving person. As soon as I heard the news my memory ran to the time that I called Sri Lanka to speak to Nayana. Uncle, answered the phone and we had good conversation also before handing over the phone to Nayana as ususal he cracked a joke on me. The way I see is my best friend lost his father but we all lost the father of Sri Lanka IT industry and I lost a loved one. The work he did to the IT Industry will remain for ever. Also I hope either Nayana or Samitha Aiya will continue on carrying his vision forward and helping them to do so would be a tribute to Samaranayaka Uncle which can be done by all of us. Finally, Dear Uncle Samaranayaka, I was panning on visiting you this coming December and have a chat if I am able to catch you (coz you are never home…) but I never thought I would be saying good bye like this to you for ever. Uncle Samaranayaka, may you attain Nibbana.

Sri Lankan Air Force, Where were you....?

I don't have any words on this situation, LTTE came in dummy plane and drop bombs in heart of Colombo and went back landed without any problem. Sri Lankan Air Force has MiGs which take 10 minutes to cross the Indian ocean, WHAT THE *$&^*#@&@#&$^#*@&#$^* they were doing......????

Bomb targets Sri Lanka army chief

You can never expect peace from Tamil Tigers.

At least eight people have been killed in a suicide bomb attack on Sri Lanka's army headquarters, while the head of the army has been seriously injured.
Lt Gen Sarath Fonseka is said to be in a stable condition after surgery in Colombo, where the attack happened.

Above part is taken from BBC head lines

Are we back to a war...?

Credits for the Sri Lankan Govenment for trying hard to make the peace talk happen. Sri Lankan Govenment and Tamil Tigers started peace talks almost three years ago but so far nothing has been accomplished. The main reason for this is Tamil Tigers. They dont want to see peace in Sri Lanka.

Once again Tamil Tigers have called off the cease-fire and peace talk situation. Things are getting heatup in Sri Lanka. I think we should get some help from India or US to finish off this war to bring peace to Sri Lanka. But that might leeds to different political problems, somewhat like Iraq is facing.

Suba Aluth Awuruddak Weva

Oba Samata Suba Aluth Awuruddak Weva
Very happy Sinhala and Tamil New Year for all the peace loving Sri Lankans.

sinhalaNewYear.jpg

Enjoying IssaWade

When ( Jan/2006) we were in Sri Lanka Sanjo wanted to eat Issa Wade....So we drop into GallFace to eat Issa Wade...

IMG_0485.jpg

People who have never eaten this, you better check this out and here you go, Thanks to Nana we have a closeup of the Issa Wade

IMG_0483.jpg

Pics taken from Nana's Camera....Thanks for Nana for sending the pics...
In the Pic - Rangiks, Nana, Sanjo, My Self, Ayendri

See U in Three Weeks

Got into an accident 24 hours ago but everything forget when i think about going to Sri Lanka. I am at the airpot and as I expected my flight is delay. Good that we have wireless. I am here sitting in the airport using wireless....suddenly i remember that I get to use High Improved DialUp for a one week......but I can trade of that with the nice warm weather with Mom's cooking. I am sure, no one can beat that....
I am not sure if i get time to write a the blog while i am at Sri Lanka but if get time i will do that...
I will see you in next year..
Happy New Year

Halloween in Sri Lanka

October 31, Its just a normal day for people who live in Sri Lanka. I dont remember me getting dressed up with costumes and going door to door with the trick or treat activity. This may be the only thing that we didn't adopt from British Empires. Sri Lanka being a Buddhist country must have effected on not celebrate the Halloween day. If Sri Lankans celebrate this date, we could have added another holiday to our Sri Lankan Calendar. Too bad we were unlucky on that....
(Sri Lanka has the most number of holidays for a year - adding this would make us unachievable to rest of the world)

The views and opinions expressed in this page are strictly those of the page author. The contents of this page have not been reviewed or approved by the University of Minnesota.