Jane Blog 4

Elizabethan Theatre-Marlowe
The Marlowe presentation was the presentation that captured my attention the least today. It may have been that it was so similar to the formats we saw in presentations last week. However, I did like the information the group talked about. I thought using Doctor Faustus as an example of Marlowe disregarding religious upbringing was a strong choice. The choice to give background on the person being talked about and their religion is always helpful to the audience. Reading Lauren's blog shows that they wanted to frame the presentation with the idea that Marlowe was a badass, I felt they sufficiently accomplished that.

Russian Theatre (Before 1750)
I really liked the idea of the presentation being a look into the process of research that the group went through. I thought it was useful to show the sources that worked and didn't work and how they found the sources that ended up being helpful. The main idea that I gathered from their presentation was that Theatre of the time is hard to find because "theatrical" things were going on in everyday life. "Why go to the theatre when there are people being killed in the street"
At first, I looked at the idea of explaining the process as an apology for lack of research, but I see now that you have to know where the group has been to understand what they have found. I would agree with a comment on on of the group member's blogs, that the audience would find the 1648 uprising an interesting focus point, I did!
I also liked the connection to the English Theatre at the time (Shakespeare's The Tempest)

Mexican/Indigenous
I liked the Bill Clinton example. The connection to modern event was what kept the audience engaged, especially the mention of Valdez attempting to take a show to broadway and failing. I think it's very hard to research "indigenous" groups, find modern examples, and be able to relate everything back to each other. The group left quite a bit in the audience's hands, asking us to think about how much has changed between the times they researched, and now. I think it's a strong presentation choice (made by the Marlowe) group to, to leave a question in the hands of the audience.

Ancient Roman Spectacle
To quote a fellow classmate('s blog post) on our presentation, " I enjoyed the Roman presentation, I was indeed entertained, but I can't tell you what I learned because there was a lot going on. There is a fine line between having too much information and not enough; as well as enough entrainment to keep people engaged but not so much that the content isn't taken seriously."
I would completely agree. Thinking back to the initial formatting of our presentation, we had intended to focus on the political connection to spectacle, and the difference between theatre and spectacle, and merely list off examples of the different types of spectacles. What ended up happening is the types of spectacles became more interesting to us and would be more engaging to the class, so they took up the majority of our presentation. Which isn't a bad thing, it's a lesson to be learned.
I think we engaged the audience and created a "spectacle" of sorts, but I think that in the end our research didn't shine as brightly in our presentation as I would've liked it too.
In the end, the strongest thing in my opinion, was our argument. If the audience were to take away one thing from the presentation I would want it to be that the spectacles were used by leaders at the time to directly manipulate the citizens of Rome.

This blog is by far the best one you've written. I very much appreciate how you read the other blogs in order to build your own responses.

As you'll see when you receive my comments on your final presentation, I disagree with you about the strength of your group's argument. I had a difficult time finding the argument because you were bombarding our senses with music, visuals, and commentary about those things. Your self-critique about the ways in which form and content inform each other is important in these regards.

Ultimately, however, I hope that your research process led to certain revelations about the task of scholarly investigation.

Grade for this entry: 100%
Final Individual Blog grade: 95%