Kelsey Peterjohn Blog 1

1. In terms of this research project, what have you been thinking about this week?

This week I have been thinking about narrowing the scope of "Ancient Roman Spectacle" in terms of what in this topic is specifically interesting to me. Also, we have been thinking about what does "spectacle" really mean in this context. Does this mean aspects of spectacle in theater (for example referencing chariot races in the plays) , or the actual spectacle themselves?

2. If you have undertaken any research, what did you discover?

So far, I have found about 4-5 online articles that have information on our topic. One of these articles helped us narrow our scope in reference to time period. We found that the time period that is commonly referred to as "Roman Spectacle" is from (100 BCE - 476). Also we found three main playwrights during this time that we are planning to research : Plateaus, Terence, and Seneca. I found an article that highlighted the difference between the Greeks and the Romans the structure of the theaters, and why this is important. This article was the most interesting to me and I hope to individually research something along these lines. Another thing that I found was about Mime and Pantomime production in Ancient Rome.

3. How might you relate this research to your work in other classes or rehearsal?

Currently, we have been working on the Sophomore American Realism project in the BFA program. I have been so focused on this genre of theater and playwrights that my own scope about what theater can be and what it has been has been really narrowed. It's interesting to see that theater can be more than just plays, it can be spectacles or in conjunction with a sporting event. This is very different from our idea of realism theater in America, where generally very rich people pay for a ticket to see a show quietly and clap politely at the end. Or maybe there is still theatrical spectacle like this now, and I am just blind to it!

MY SOURCES:

Works Cited

"413 Roman Theatre, Classical Drama and Theatre." 413 Roman Theatre, Classical Drama and Theatre. N.p., n.d. Web. 08 Nov. 2012. .

"Ancient Rome  ::  Roman Entertainment." ThinkQuest. Oracle Foundation, n.d. Web. 08 Nov. 2012. .

"Heilbrunn Timeline of Art History." Theater and Amphitheater in the Roman World. N.p., n.d. Web. 08 Nov. 2012. .

"The Observed of All Observers: Spectacle, Applause, and Cultural Poetics In the Roman Theater Audience | Holt Parker - Academia.edu." The Observed of All Observers: Spectacle, Applause, and Cultural Poetics In the Roman Theater Audience | Holt Parker - Academia.edu. N.p., n.d. Web. 08 Nov. 2012. .

I'm glad that you are thinking about your own perception of theatre and how your current activities might narrow your field of vision. You are absolutely right: there is much more out there than you can even imagine! Keep challenging your own W.E.I.R.D lens.

In future blog posts, I'd like you to ask yourself: can I be more specific? The answer will always be yes, so you should then ask: what specific idea do I want to write and think about. A great idea for focusing your journal entries is to locate an argument or idea in a book or article and then unpack it/work through it/ask questions about it. Utilize the research material that your group has started to collect.

For example: you say an article helped you narrow the time period of your research to 100 BCE - 476 CE. That's still six hundred years!! Is there a specific Charriot Race that historians write about? Ideally, you'll find one event, happening on one specific day, that not only caused a significant occurrence in Rome but also helps us to think about Roman spectacle today.

Grade: 88%