Our blog is back up and running!

My name is Shawn Friedland, President of the Crookston Student Association. I would like to say that within the past three years I have been here at UMC, this year has sure been the most exciting so far. Between our record enrollment, to the last steps of the Otter Tail Power campus energy challenge, I have never been so proud to be a golden eagle.   

We are proud to have a growing number of clubs on campus. From the new boxing and wellness club to the many academic clubs/organizations, there is something for each and every student to get involved in.

I want to remind all of you that the CSA Executive board is here to serve YOU, the Students of UMC! If you have any issues and see any of us in the halls, please talk to us and let us know. Morning and afternoon, you can always find someone to answer any of your questions in the CSA office, and grab some candy too. So please come visit us there in the second floor of the Student Center, 237A. I can assure you that each and every one of them has been hard at work on a number of projects. In fact, a few weeks ago we had our executive board retreat where we discussed a number of items such as amending our constitution and bylaws, forming committees for planning events coming up, and of course, activities to get to know each other better.

As you all are aware, we are on our last months of the Otter Tail Power campus energy challenge. I am proud to be a member of CSSD and the Sustainability Committee and see firsthand the initiatives and dedication they put for to make UMC a more sustainable campus. I would like to commend CSSD for all of their hard work so far this semester, especially Ben Williams and Ben Sullivan, aka "the Benz." We only have about 6 weeks left this semester, so remember to turn off the lights when you leave the classroom, unplug your cell phone and computer charger when not in use, and many other simple everyday things we can do to save energy and get that big prize at the end of the challenge!

As discussed earlier in this blog, there are many projects that the CSA executive board is currently working on. I will break it up into three of our biggest projects:

The first of the three biggest projects is the Recycling program. Greg Summers, our Senator for Recycling has put together a solid recycling program for this year. Straying away from having many clubs being involved, we decided to limit the number of clubs involved to 6. Therefore, 6 clubs will be in charge of taking on around 4-5 stations on campus, and also get paid a good amount as well.

The second project that we are currently working on is amending our Constitution and Bylaws. The CSA Constitution has not been amended since 2005. There has been a few working meetings lately to go over the entire constitution and bylaws and basically reconstruct/update these documents.

The third project that the executive board is collaboratively working on is working group committees. During our retreat, we assigned executive board members to one of three committees. First, Winter Wonderland committee. This group is planning Winter Wonderland on December 3rd, 2010. CSA holds this annual "Santa land" event and we are excited to put it on again this year. The second committee is the faculty/staff and student/commuter appreciation day. Student/commuter day appreciation day will be near the end of November, and Faculty/Staff appreciation day will be near the end of spring semester. The third committee is the Campus showdown committee. Campus showdown is an event put on by CSA in spring semester with a "battle" between the students and faculty/staff by doing all sorts of wacky and fun activities. This will be held on February 2nd, 2011, so make sure you are there!

In conclusion, I just want to say that this blog WILL be updated at least once a week. It has taken a little while this semester to get the blog back up and running, but I promise we will have weekly posts. J So, stay tuned!

This page contains a single entry by fried411 published on November 1, 2010 4:11 PM.

Meet your Fall 2010 CSA Executive Board! was the previous entry in this blog.

CSA Update- Week of November 8th-November 12th is the next entry in this blog.