Final Pictures of the Norway Experience

pulpit rock.jpg

Amazing, views

Travels to rome.jpg

After Norway some of the students went to Italy

Great photo of girls in Norway.jpg

One of my favorite pictures of the girls

Little bit of everything

Oh my gosh! Where do I start? We have been so busy! Sam and I are loving every minute of being in Norway. I haven't had time to blog because not only of wanting to take in every minute of the day seeing the sights but also because my computer has gone into a security state and won't let me log in. Oh how I appreciate a help desk with in 5 minutes.
Something that I have inadvertently learned is how dependent we have become on our computers and cell phones. It feels amazing actually to not have to be online or on the phone all the time. Sam and I have gotten more time to just talk and appreciate each other. Well enough with those thoughts I'm sure you all would like to hear about the trip!

After we were in Iceland we went to Copenhagen, Denmark and it was lovely! I was actually excited to get to go to Denmark because my Great-great-grandfather was Danish. What a city of history. The buildings are old and majestic. It is just like it was out of an old movie, with all the sculptures and elegant decorations. I wish in a way we would have had more time to explore there however I was ready to move on to Oslo.

The group had to be split up due to different circumstances and 6 of us took the Ferry and then the rest took the bus. I was one that ended up on the Ferry. It was fun to travel by water. It was very unfortunate that we couldn't all have made it on the Ferry. But the wonderful thing was that everyone was going to end up in Oslo for the 17th of May!!

The 6 of us that took the Ferry arrived at 9:00 and we got off the Ferry and we could already see parts of the parade and people dressed up. I was flooded with excitement! You could hear music and people chanting and singing. We hauled our luggage up the street (I say up because it seems in Norway you are always walking up hill.) and we were pretty much caught up in the parade. We found our hotel and hurried to go and see the parade. 

The parade was very fun to watch. Oh what pride the Norwegian people have. Everyone was dressed in traditional costumes and they were holding flags. Everyone from tiny babies to grandparents were dressed up. The parade had all the schools dressed up and marching. Music was playing and they were walking down the main street toward the palace.

We walked up into the front lawn of the palace and we could see the king and queen waving to the public. I was astounded by the total lack of security. People are so trusting in these countries. It was the same way in Iceland...we walked up to the Presidents house and there were no body guards and people told us that is we went up and knocked on the door that the President himself would have probably answered.

One of my favorite parts of my time in Oslo was going to Vigeland Park. It is a beautiful park full of lovely statues. I couldn't help but be in total amazement. The fountain in the middle of the park is so cool it is four men holding a huge bowl with water and the fountain in it. There was also a huge tower in the park that has bunch of bodies piled up and it was weird but also very amazing.

After Olso we took a bus to Amble Gaard. Amble Gaard is a resort of sorts. It is owned by a family and they have several houses that they lease out to people. It is over looking the Songdal Fjord, this was the vision of Noway that I had been waiting for.

Sam and I went down and spent he day fishing in the Fjord. We didn't have much luck but we had an amazing time down by the water. I hadn't really thought about it but the Fjords are  salt water. There were starfish everywhere and we saw some Jellyfish.

One of my favorite things about Norway is all the streams and rivers! Everywhere there are stream and waterfalls coming down from the mountains as the snow caps are melting.

I love it here!!IMG_0716.JPGIMG_0689.JPG

Stavanger

So we got to our last city of Stavanger tonight. I can't believe the trip is almost done! It has been amazing!!! It is gonna be sa leaving all these people that I have gotten so used to being around. I am excited to hike Pulpit Rock. I hope I can make it. I might get scared of the heights though.  Angie and I are currently making the arrangements for our side trip to Paris...kinda nervous and stressful. The rest of the trip has been pretty stressfree though, even through the stranded in Iceland ordeal, it was a nice chance to see more of the city and we got an extra country in there too!! Too bad we had less time in Oslo. Well time to book stuff!

Last night in Bergen

Tonight is our last night in Bergen, Norway.  We leave for Stavanger tomorrow morning at about 8 am.  Today was apparently some sort of national holiday, I've heard it was a holiday celebrating the birth of the church, so not much was open.  The touristy shops in Bryggen, the oldest and prettiest part of town, were open though, as well as the convenience stores like 7-Eleven and Deli de Luca.  Since I hadn't really bought any souvenirs yet, I definitely stocked up today. We ate dinner at Deli de Luca and then caught a concert at the church just up the road from our hotel.  The concert featured a violin, cello, and a couple other instruments playing classical pieces and was very good. 

*Anna Wagner*

Hello from Bergen, Norway

Hello from Bergen, Norway! It has been a great experience so far and I recommend everyone doing a study abroad at some point in their lifetime. I am glad that I got to do this awesome experience! I am having a great time and it has been worth it. I loved going to all of the different places that we have been so far. We have been to Reykjavik, Iceland; Copenhagen, Denmark; Oslo, Norway; Sogndal/Amble gaard, Norway; and now Bergen, Norway. Tomorrow we are all off to Stavanger, Norway which will also be another great city to visit. Norway is such a pretty country and it makes me feel that I should live here, but unfortunately I do have to go back to Minnesota which isn't all bad.
Today it is going to be a low-key day for everyone and with a holiday tomorrow, everything is closed today so we can do whatever we want to do and with many things being closed there isn't a whole lot of stuff to do. It is good to have a relaxing day today!

Bergen

This is our third day in Bergen, Norway and I can say that I really love this city.  Everything here is so full of history and the city itself is just gorgeous.  The first day our ferry from Sogndal got in around noon and since we couldn't check into the hotel right away, we walked about Bryggen, the oldest section of Bergen.  The fish market and Bryggen are both right next to the harbor.  The fish market has lots of fresh fish and other seafood for sale and nearby there are lots of street vendors set up with touristy items and Norwegian clothing.  The only downside that I can think of in Bergen so far is that there are many hills, but even those are not bad. 
boat ride.jpg

One thing I'm loving about being abroad is being able to try new things.  I like to see how things differ from the U.S.  Many things here seems to be fresher and healthier.  Another thing I've noticed while over here is that people seem to dress up a lot more typically.  It's also interesting to see how much American culture has influenced other countries.  Nearly everyone I have met speaks English, many restaurants and hotels have English names, almost everything has an English translation and I hear American music playing everywhere.  I think this aspect strikes me simply because you just do not see that as much in the United States.  We don't play much international music and you are expected to know English in the U.S.; most of us are not bilingual. 

So far I'm really enjoying this trip and love learning about other cultures.  It's hard to believe that we only have a little over a week left in Europe and I'm excited for the rest of the trip.

*Anna Wagner* 

Syttende Mai

A group singing in the aprk.jpg
Group of people singing

Siten Deimai.jpg

The parade -- amazing!!!

Here are some photos that students have sent

Group of students on top of glacier.jpg
The students and Sue all on top of a glacier in Iceland

Hking iceland.jpg
Climbing the Glacier in Iceland

Blue Lagoon group photo.jpg
Student enjoying the Blue Lagoon in Iceland

Here are some experiences by our students

Group in Iceland.jpg
Here is the group climbing a glacier in Iceland

Melissa and the icelandic horse.jpg
Melissa riding an Icelandic horse

Denmark

Hi folks, now you are all in Denmark. Enjoy the day. I love Copenhagen it is a wonderful city and there is lots to do.

Rae

Recent Comments

• rfrench: Wow, thanks for posting! read more
  • UMC Learning Abroad: Now you know how to do this.... I'm very proud read more
  • Andrew Svec: Hey everyone! Thanks for sharing your photos. Share more! I've read more
  • mchristo: Love the lagoon photo! I bet you all got a read more
  • UMC Learning Abroad: You all can make an entry since you are all read more
  • Steven Hannah: I am envious. I would gladly get stuck in Iceland read more
  • mchristo: Hi everyone, wishing you well and requesting that you post read more
  • gillette: I meant that they ARE gearing up! read more
  • gillette: It’s official. We can call it a Norway update! They read more
  • gillette: Here is the latest as of 10:30 a.m. Sunday, May read more

Recent Assets

• Great photo of girls in Norway.jpg
  • Travels to rome.jpg
  • pulpit rock.jpg
  • IMG_0716.JPG
  • IMG_0689.JPG
  • boat ride.jpg
  • Siten Deimai.jpg
  • A group singing in the aprk.jpg
  • Blue Lagoon group photo.jpg
  • Hking iceland.jpg