Bergen

This is our third day in Bergen, Norway and I can say that I really love this city.  Everything here is so full of history and the city itself is just gorgeous.  The first day our ferry from Sogndal got in around noon and since we couldn't check into the hotel right away, we walked about Bryggen, the oldest section of Bergen.  The fish market and Bryggen are both right next to the harbor.  The fish market has lots of fresh fish and other seafood for sale and nearby there are lots of street vendors set up with touristy items and Norwegian clothing.  The only downside that I can think of in Bergen so far is that there are many hills, but even those are not bad. 
boat ride.jpg

One thing I'm loving about being abroad is being able to try new things.  I like to see how things differ from the U.S.  Many things here seems to be fresher and healthier.  Another thing I've noticed while over here is that people seem to dress up a lot more typically.  It's also interesting to see how much American culture has influenced other countries.  Nearly everyone I have met speaks English, many restaurants and hotels have English names, almost everything has an English translation and I hear American music playing everywhere.  I think this aspect strikes me simply because you just do not see that as much in the United States.  We don't play much international music and you are expected to know English in the U.S.; most of us are not bilingual. 

So far I'm really enjoying this trip and love learning about other cultures.  It's hard to believe that we only have a little over a week left in Europe and I'm excited for the rest of the trip.

*Anna Wagner* 

This page contains a single entry by wagne549 published on May 22, 2010 2:15 PM.

Syttende Mai was the previous entry in this blog.

Hello from Bergen, Norway is the next entry in this blog.