Friday- July 2, 2010

Friday- July 2nd, 2010

Wow, I cannot believe I have been in Africa for one month already. Time sure has been flying by fast. It is still hard for me to believe that I am actually in Africa- I guess it hasn't sunk in yet. A week from today, I will be leaving to go back home to the states, very sad. But, everything has to come to an end at some point or another, and I think 5 weeks will be the perfect amount of time to stay here. Any shorter, I wouldn't have been ready to go home. Any longer, I think I would have already done everything I wanted to and I would want to go home. I will save next Fridays journal entry as more of a summary and what I have learned here, etc, but for today, I just wanted to say that I can't believe I have been here for a month already!

Today for placement, we went to teach about hygiene and malaria to three classes: 3rd, 4th, and 5th grade. Each had about 25 students in a class. The students had a ton of questions for us, which made it feel all worthwhile to clear up a lot of the misconceptions they had about hygiene, malaria and staying healthy in general. It is always a good feeling to know that I have made a small impact on a student's perspective and awareness of hygiene and malaria.

This weekend we decided to stay here in Hohoe. We were going to go to Mole national park, but it about a 17 hour bus ride to get there on tro-tros, and it just does not sound too safe. There is supposed to be a safari there, but nothing too big like in central Africa where there are lots of wild zebras, elephants, lions, etc. In mole, they have some elephants, but mainly monkeys, cheetahs, and birds. I figured it wasn't really worth taking off and missing placement Friday and Monday to travel 17 hours each way. Hopefully sometime soon I will come back to Africa and experience a real safari. It will be nice to have my last weekend here in Hohoe with all my friends. Also, Ghana plays tonight versus Uruguay and they better win tonight! I think we are all going to a restaurant downtown called Bundocks- we went there last Friday, so good! Pizza, French fries, and beer, yum! But the pizza here is equivalent to a cheap freezer burned pizza in the states, but after a month of the food here it will be good. I have been contemplating on what to have when I get back to the states. Part of me wants Mexican, and part of me wants a good burger. It will be a tough decision, just as long as I don't have white rice in a very long time, so tired of eating that every day. I must say that I will miss the food here though. I do enjoy the sauces and meats that they prepare here.

For my last week, Makafui and I created a schedule so that I can accomplish everything else I wanted to. On Monday I will be going to teach for my last day about hygiene and malaria, and in the afternoon I will be going to a spiritualist center that supposedly cures people by praying, so that should be interesting to see. Tuesday- I will be going to the witch doctor/ voodoo center for the day. Wednesday- I will be going to the hospital to hopefully see a surgery, and in the afternoon I will finally get to go to RCH. Thursday I will be going to the Bone setter, and Friday I will be going to RCH for my last day. I also plan on spending some afternoons at the orphanages. I really enjoyed that the past few weeks and I would like to spend some time there during my last week in Hohoe.

This page contains a single entry by fried411 published on July 3, 2010 9:50 AM.

Thursday- July 1, 2010 was the previous entry in this blog.

Monday- July 5, 2010 is the next entry in this blog.