EDdies awarded for Feb. 25 Statesman
The results of this week's edies (Editing Class Awards for Greatness in Journalism) are in and the winners are:
- Story of the week: The average guy article written by Jared Dyrdahl is this week's winner. His column looks at the UMD women's hockey team and explores how women's sports are perceived in general.
- Lead of the week: This goes to Emma Fromberg for her article on Stage II's new play, "Hot Trash." Here's the lead: Years ago, two friends embarked on a journey. It began with a rumor of a "glam- rock" party, mixed in with some out-of-date fashions and intense role-playing. This dream has become a reality and now a masterful performance.
Next week, UMD's student-run theater company, Stage II, will present a play written, directed and performed by students.
- Headline of the week: For article on alleged wallet theft: Wallet-stealing UMD student captured after ordering pizza
- Photo of the week: Goes to David Cowardin for his underwater shot of Tony Nigon.
- Person of the week: This new award is awarded to the story that includes a real person living the news. There were a number of choices, but the winner was found in Meghan Butler's article about rental housing, which includes JJ Peterson, a sophomore who has been house hunting in Duluth for the past couple weeks.