University of Minnesota Morris

« Expect the unexpected. | Admissions Blog Home | Only two weeks left! What?! »

Halfway!

We're already halfway through our internships, how outrageous is that?? It's like light-at-the-end-of-the-tunnel time, now. Except I don't like that phrase anymore because I really love Dublin. It took a week or two, but I'm comfortable with everything, and I don't want it to end. Everything is set for Galway this weekend, so I'm pretty pumped for that I've only ever heard good things about Galway. Everyone wants so badly to get out of Ireland, but I can't wait to see as much of it as I can. There's a reason it has a good reputation, so why not be intensive travelers, rather than extensive travelers? That's my new thing, anyway. Just immerse myself in the Irish culture, and worry about seeing other places afterward. Plus I think it's difficult to try to fit seeing London or Barcelona, etc etc in 36 hours. That doesn't do those places justice. And you just end up with sore feet.

Work was pretty uneventful today, although the research I came up with for the Deputy's speech for last night's session went pretty well, so I'm excited about that. It's about a new electoral amendment they're trying to pass. I'm doing more research on mental illness and suicide in Ireland, so that's what I did. All. Day. Now, I know that's part of the job, but it still gets kind of mind-numbing after awhile. By 5.00 all I could do was stare blankly at my computer screen. Hopefully I'm finding the right kind of information! I'm always nervous that I'll be sending the Deputy to the Dáil with bad information, and that would obviously be no good! I honestly love where I'm working, and I say that with confidence. Yes I put pressure on myself to do well, but I think that's necessary in an internship like this. I'm learning a lot, and everyone is so helpful when they learn that I have to write a research paper based on what I'm learning. Like one man, I'm pretty sure he's a PA, he offered to find me materials that might be useful. How great is that? So great! I got extremely lucky with this internship, I really did. I realized that the other day, like I'm working in the Irish Parliament. That's an insanely cool thing to be able to tell people.

I'm so exhausted this week, so I'm planning on going to bed early. Keyword in that sentence being planning. We'll see how that works out. Let's hope my second wind kicks in soon. But what happens when I get on the plane home and can just stop moving for nine-ish hours? And what's going to happen when I get home and don't have to do anything? All that momentum that I'll have had to push me through the last half of this trip is just going to be gone and I'm going to crash. So let's also hope that I can get my paper done as much as possible BEFORE I get home. That's a not-so-subtle hint to myself. So that's the goal: get as much done with my paper as I can before I leave here, and continue to do well at work.

The end. For now

Trackback

Feedback | Notice of Privacy Practices