University of Minnesota Morris

« Halfway! | Admissions Blog Home | New Year, New Digs! »

Only two weeks left! What?!

I've been a little neglectful lately, so sorry! Time goes by so quickly and suddenly it's midnight and I realized the post I was going to do got pushed out of the way. So anyway..

Galway was fun last weekend, even though we made the unwise decision to take the 7.30am train, which meant we were up at 5. I think we forgot that Galway isn't nearly as big as Dublin, so there is less to do there. Kind of unfortunate. Don't get me wrong, Galway is beautiful, but it was a rainy weekend, and that's never fun, plus we were exhausted by the time we got there. Our hostel was nice, but it was a little awkward sharing our room with a guy, Richard, from Kerry (translation: we had no idea what he was saying to us because Kerry accents are so thick. YouTube it and you'll see what I mean), and another guy from France who spoke minimal English. I put Allie on the spot when I told him that she's taken 8 years of French, but it was in an effort to try to make him feel more comfortable. We went to this famous pub called The King's Head (or at least I think it's notable, anyway), but we didn't stay out terribly long because we all just wanted to sleep. The next morning we woke up and got breakfast after meeting up with another group of our friends. I bought some gifts at a little market that was set up, and then we wandered some more. Our train didn't leave until 7pm or so, and we were finding it more difficult to find things to do with ourselves, so we got a late lunch at this really cool little restaurant and sat there for like two hours. We were all really relieved to get back to Dublin that night, but because the buses run so infrequently on the weekends we caved and got a taxi back to the apartments. The unanimous verdict was that Galway is fun when you aren't running on 5 hours of sleep and it's not constantly raining.

(Here, for the sake of brevity, I'll leave out my paragraphs-long review of my experiences during last Thursday's Harry Potter premiere, even though I think the entirety of last week was devoted to hyperventilating, tears, and excitement.)

We went to Kilkenny on Saturday, and it was a beautiful day despite the on and off rain. We took a little tour of the castle there, and then took a walk around the grounds. Getting fresh air and seeing some grass and trees was a nice break from the concrete in Dublin. Thinking about that now reminds me that I still want to see Phoenix Park. Yesterday we went to lunch on CIS at a really great italian restaurant, and then went to the National Museum, and that was super cool. I love museums, and I think I could see myself working in one. The Ancient Egypt part of the museum was AWESOME. That kind of ancient history and Greek and Roman mythology have always been my favorite things to read about. Then we finished up our gift shopping, and it's nice to have that out of the way. We spent the night back at the apartments because it was pretty rainy and chilly last night, which is apparently a far-cry from the heat wave back home. That's too bad. Hahahahaha. Just kidding, I'm with you all in spirit, and I feel for you.

This week marks the last before the Dáil rises on Thursday night, and I'm still not entirely sure what I'll be doing next week. I'm pretty sure I'll be helping with some canvassing in Celbridge on Thursday, which could be kind of interesting. I'm a little nervous because 1. I just don't like knocking on doors to begin with, and 2. even though I've been learning a lot, I don't think I know quite enough to be able to answer any policy questions in detail. So we'll see how that goes, I guess. Hopefully we'll get the constituency database, FINALLY, and I can help work on that because that is going to be a serious project. I had to man the stations for a couple days last week as Eimear was out of the office, but luckily nothing too complicated came up.

I know I say this a lot, but really, where did the time go? I only have two weeks left here! How did that happen? I mean, honestly. It feels like I was just getting of the plane yesterday. And if I think back now, I remember feeling like I would never get back home during those first couple days, but now I've already been here for over a month. I'm not really counting the days in Edinburgh and London because they'll go by outrageously quickly. And then I'll get on that plane home and crash because that will be the longest that I haven't been moving or doing something. Wow. It's becoming more and more bittersweet because I'm ready to get home now, but it's also hitting me that I love Dublin, the people, my job, the country (and I'm sure I'll love Edinburgh and London, too), and I don't know when/if I'll be back here. So that's a little sad.

Ok, that's it for now. See you all soon!

Trackback

Feedback | Notice of Privacy Practices