University of Minnesota Morris

« Hopes for the Future | Admissions Blog Home | IKEA, Here and There »

Small Beginnings

August 7th, 2013
     Confident but confused, I step off the plane into Norway yesterday. The trip to Oslo, itself, was fairly simple. The Flytoget system is very straightforward, and I got my student discount. The rest of the day, however, was pretty exhausting. I ran myself ragged moving nearly 100 lbs of luggage around the city for four hours, and I don't think the anxious sweat smell will ever leave that outfit. Nevertheless, I am now settled into a reasonable (though not ideal) apartment in Bjerke Studenthjem and am fending for myself pretty well. A residence change might be coming in the near future, but I think I could learn to deal with where I am living now. Also, I bought over a week's worth of food for less than $50/300NKR, an excellent deal given what I've heard about the cost of living here. I'm not worried much about the food situation.
     It seems the rumors are true: Norwegians are taller than most America-folk. Luckily, compared to the average American, my shoulders are broader than the natives are tall, so I don't look like too much of a meek little foreigner. A good number of other international students are living in Bjerke, so I don't feel so alone in my loneliness. My neighbor is also very nice and has offered me a lot of advice on cheap food and transportation around the city. She's been a life-saver.
     Yesterday was a tough first day, but things have gotten easier. Tomorrow I will be shopping for bed furnishings for my stark bed and curtains to make up for the lack of privacy in my first floor apartment. I will also get a renewed-monthly travel card to deal with all the intra-city transportation. It should be a good day.

---
     Jeg håper som jeg kan finde en bilige kort på Jernebarnetoget. Jeg er student, så jeg må gør noe. Jeg vet ikke hva jeg skal gjør. Også, I håper IKEA er bilig. Min penge er bra, men jeg vil gjerne ikke kjørpe mye.

Trackback

Feedback | Notice of Privacy Practices